Chris thorman

6 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Thorman in my opinion is a good coach, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, pointing out he is a full time in a part time semi pro setup and probably having other expences attached to his job, house, car, fuel etc.

With all these costs to consider it reduces the amount of money that is available for recruitment of players. Team success is all about money.

Can you all not let up on the fact about the coach's contract.

When Big Fui or Jarrad Sammut etc were here they would have been on good contracts [and rightly so] and nobody twined about that so why should we be obsessed now?

The fact locals have left thru not getting game time,

The fact the players are too small,

the fact we are losing,

None of those problems are caused by the coach's contract, He maybe to blame for some of the problems or all [in some peoples view]- not mine, but his own contract is not the reason we are bottom of the league.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Thorman in my opinion is a good coach, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head, pointing out he is a full time in a part time semi pro setup and probably having other expences attached to his job, house, car, fuel etc.

With all these costs to consider it reduces the amount of money that is available for recruitment of players. Team success is all about money.

If the club announced tonight that we were signing Josh Reynolds and a couple of other big names on full time contracts - would you be complaining that we should not do it?

Are we not allowed to have any full time staff/players here because we rare only part time?

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

If the club announced tonight that we were signing Josh Reynolds and a couple of other big names on full time contracts - would you be complaining that we should not do it?

Are we not allowed to have any full time staff/players here because we rare only part time?

If you signed Josh Reynolds I’d think plenty would complain,he’s useless.& would be expensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

If you signed Josh Reynolds I’d think plenty would complain,he’s useless.& would be expensive.

More likely to sign Debbie Reynolds and she’s dead 

• Like 1

Imagine being in the position of trying to focus on saving the clubs season and folk baying for you to lose your job cos you’re full time. Imagine your family with a toddler seeing people actively advocating for you to be sacked. Bullies. Oh and also - look at the history of the posters. Some haven’t said a positive thing for years, some are not even supporters of the club. Get back to your own forum and concentrate on your own affairs instead of causing trouble on here. As usual moderators will let it go in the interests of free speech.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Townie987 said:

Imagine being in the position of trying to focus on saving the clubs season and folk baying for you to lose your job cos you’re full time. Imagine your family with a toddler seeing people actively advocating for you to be sacked. Bullies. Oh and also - look at the history of the posters. Some haven’t said a positive thing for years, some are not even supporters of the club. Get back to your own forum and concentrate on your own affairs instead of causing trouble on here. As usual moderators will let it go in the interests of free speech.

Bullies? Oh ok. He's getting paid to do a job to a good standard and that might mean improving the club as a whole which he may well be doing but it also means having good team spirit, creating a competitive squad and winning games through sound coaching and tactics. It's already been said which of those haven't been done and when the team are playing as badly as they are right now then he's not doing the job he's paid for. Being a coach is a precarious profession, they all know that. He needs to turn this around but I personally can't see it happening, obviously I hope I'm wrong . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yep disgrace . If only we lived in North Korea 

Getting stupid isn't it, supported the club for 40yrs and your not allowed an opinion.

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

I don't think anyone at the club should be above comment, whether it's praise or criticism, as long as its not abusive or over the top. 

Garbage like Billy Bobs though should be read with utter disdain as usual.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don't think anyone at the club should be above comment, whether it's praise or criticism, as long as its not abusive or over the top. 

Garbage like Billy Bobs though should be read with utter disdain as usual.

Hang on dkw, in no way have I criticized Thorman, and I have stated imo he is a good coach.  In the championship league where majority of clubs are strapped for cash, they employ a part time coach, which co-insides with a semi pro part time team, in order to keep within their budgets and allow more money for recruitment of players.

If you find this garbage and contains utter disdain, you seriously need help.

Personally I like Chris as both a person and a coach and would love him to turn it round. I also feel he would be a decent coach to try and get us back out of league 1 next year. It doesnt bother me that he is full time either, i actually like the idea of a coach working behind the scenes watching videos of players and opponents.

Unfortunately though he seems to have completely lost the dressing room, some of the players are blatantly not playing for him and others have left altogether. If we were in a position to bring 9 or 10 new players in fair enough but as we aren't it is probably time for a change of the coach. I dont like saying that but I cant see another solution.

All this about signing players on before we knew what league we we in  . Is stupid talk . Do you not think  if it was that easy the club wouldn't have done it . Players are not going to sign if they don't know what league  we would be in .  Also at that time some of the previous board packed up and left Chris high and dry  saying he had no money to spend and couldn't sign anybody .  Noing the predicament Town had with money issues . Chris  saves the club money by sleeping in the office for months rather than him sleeping in the Hall Park hotel . Right from the start when we got promoted He said it was a year ahead of schedule. . Then He trys to work with a squad  in the championship  . With players who had only just come from the amateur game  . L1 was a step up  but the championship . We all knew it was going to be hard .  Then the Blue knights were formed  and raised money for team building  fantastic  news and good of them . But how hard do you think it would be to get players to travel  halfway through a season to the bottom team  without them asking for the earth .  Let's put it this way . Match day  prices .Town  are one of the cheapest grounds to get into  . How many supporters  would twine or not even attend if they had to pay the  entrance fee of say your Leigh Featherstone Bradford Widnes etc So stop knocking the Coach and the board  .We all knew at the start it wasn't going to be easy . So come on UTT .

• Like 8

6 hours ago, silverfox said:

All this about signing players on before we knew what league we we in  . Is stupid talk . Do you not think  if it was that easy the club wouldn't have done it . Players are not going to sign if they don't know what league  we would be in .  Also at that time some of the previous board packed up and left Chris high and dry  saying he had no money to spend and couldn't sign anybody .  Noing the predicament Town had with money issues . Chris  saves the club money by sleeping in the office for months rather than him sleeping in the Hall Park hotel . Right from the start when we got promoted He said it was a year ahead of schedule. . Then He trys to work with a squad  in the championship  . With players who had only just come from the amateur game  . L1 was a step up  but the championship . We all knew it was going to be hard .  Then the Blue knights were formed  and raised money for team building  fantastic  news and good of them . But how hard do you think it would be to get players to travel  halfway through a season to the bottom team  without them asking for the earth .  Let's put it this way . Match day  prices .Town  are one of the cheapest grounds to get into  . How many supporters  would twine or not even attend if they had to pay the  entrance fee of say your Leigh Featherstone Bradford Widnes etc So stop knocking the Coach and the board  .We all knew at the start it wasn't going to be easy . So come on UTT .

I said you talk to players, you offer them provisional contracts. I like Chris but this season as been a shambles, how many players have left the club? His team selections have been strange at times, his subs have been bizarre giving players no time on the pitch when some players are out on their feet and no matter how late our signings were going into a league like this with a small pack is suicidal which we've all said. I knew this season was going to be hard but can't accept the performances we're knocking out ffs we struggle to score a try let alone compete!

• Like 2

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

8 hours ago, silverfox said:

Well said 👍

its a difficult position to be in really - from the outside it looks as though Chris has possibly lost the dressing room, but on the flip side if they do sack Chris who do they get as his replacement and will they fayre any better with a depleted squad and no chance of fetching in replacements ?

Sure, they'll be plenty of applicants but they will want a playing budget and will very quickly come up against the same problems as previous coaches - ie:

1. not enough quality locals wanting to make the step up 

2. no pathway to develop our own players as there's no reserve league and the step up from the amateur game is too big a gap for the vast majority of our local players, so they get fed up very quickly and return to the amateur game

3. travellers soon get fed up of the 4-6 hour round journey for training and games, so makes more sense for them to sign for a local club for less money than Town can offer.

4. the need to identify cheap (ish) overseas players who aren't good enough to make the grade in Auz, but promote and identify Town as a stepping stone (shop window) to get a Super League or Championship contract by linking in with Aussie player agents and selling the club, even possibly linking in with Super League clubs to identify overseas talent.

That folks is the reality, and until the above issues can be addressed then all RL teams on the peripherals (Cornwall, Haven, Newcastle, the Welsh Clubs) are always going to be at a disadvantage as more than 90% of RL players are based in Lancs and Yorkshire.

One advantage we do have other the other 'development' clubs is that Town (and Haven) have the potential to average crowds of up to 1500 IF they can play attractive rugby and win games.

So coming back to Chris Thorman, I would keep him for next season as he now knows what's required and the calibre of player that he needs to sign to be able to complete.

If he is to stay, I also think he needs a completely new coaching team, especially a defensive coach, as we were leaking soft tries in League One and this year has been shocking and good assistants should challenge the coach if they think he is making the incorrect call.

I have no idea who was responsible for signing players for the last two seasons - at a guess I would say it was Gary Hewer for the amateur lads and Chris obviously playing the safe' card and signing ex-Newcastle players, which to be fair was probably the correct thing to do as he knew the players and their ability  -  neither of those worked out very well - so again its back the drawing board and the need to target and sign players for specific positions and not just ones who can play at hooker!

If we are to target more out of county lads, then we might have to bite the bullet and train twice a week at Penrith like the Red do, as that's just over an hour from Lancashire and would make it much easier to sign players if the travelling time was reduced 

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's

11 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Hang on dkw, in no way have I criticized Thorman, and I have stated imo he is a good coach.  In the championship league where majority of clubs are strapped for cash, they employ a part time coach, which co-insides with a semi pro part time team, in order to keep within their budgets and allow more money for recruitment of players.

If you find this garbage and contains utter disdain, you seriously need help.

I find this bit garbage, blatant trolling and baiting.

out he is a full time in a part time semi pro setup and probably having other expences attached to his job, house, car, fuel etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anok4u said:

I said you talk to players, you offer them provisional contracts. I like Chris but this season as been a shambles, how many players have left the club? His team selections have been strange at times, his subs have been bizarre giving players no time on the pitch when some players are out on their feet and no matter how late our signings were going into a league like this with a small pack is suicidal which we've all said. I knew this season was going to be hard but can't accept the performances we're knocking out ffs we struggle to score a try let alone compete!

The problem is, and this pretty common knowledge, clubs gave our target ultimatums to either sign for them by a certain date, or they then had to commit to town without knowing if we would be even in the Championship. We were over a barrell unfortunately, its the same as when clubs get promoted to SL, they are far behind others with recruitment and get whats left. Its a quirk of the the system and not a lot we could realistically do about it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, silverfox said:

If anybody wants to know the reasons behind some decisions. Chris as already said his door is always open if people want to talk rugby matters . So stop trying to stir things up on the forum . And go and ask Chris .

Oh shut up, I'm saying my opinion on town on a town forum.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anok4u said:

Oh shut up, I'm saying my opinion on town on a town forum.

Well by all accounts the powers to be are not changing any league formats next season, 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

The problem is, and this pretty common knowledge, clubs gave our target ultimatums to either sign for them by a certain date, or they then had to commit to town without knowing if we would be even in the Championship. We were over a barrell unfortunately, its the same as when clubs get promoted to SL, they are far behind others with recruitment and get whats left. Its a quirk of the the system and not a lot we could realistically do about it.

you are correct, which is why the argument for franchise teams with no promotion or seasonal relegation carries support from certain parts of the game.

I've got to be honest and say that I think its the way forward - 2 leagues of 14 teams and non-performing clubs to be given 12 months notice that they either ship up or get relegated - I'm not just talking about on field performance either, the off-field team is just as important and clubs need to be able to show they have a strong backroom team (promotional, development etc) to prove that they are a sustainable outfit.

Removing the pressure of relegation would encourage clubs to develop players gradually as opposed the the Leigh and Featherstone model of just signing every available ex-Super League player in a bid to get a Super League place.

The game as a whole at present just isn't strong enough to continue as it is now and something has to change collectively for the good of the game and not just for the good of the top 8 Super League sides

• Like 1

I preferred it when there was just one league, although the changes they have made to make the game more open and faster and having summer rugby is a huge improvement imo.

However when there was one league with 32 teams, even if you were getting stuffed by the top clubs, rugby fans got too see the top teams with international stars.

Plus majority if not all of the clubs had a reserve team and played in a meaning full competition, with decent support from the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

you are correct, which is why the argument for franchise teams with no promotion or seasonal relegation carries support from certain parts of the game.

I've got to be honest and say that I think its the way forward - 2 leagues of 14 teams and non-performing clubs to be given 12 months notice that they either ship up or get relegated - I'm not just talking about on field performance either, the off-field team is just as important and clubs need to be able to show they have a strong backroom team (promotional, development etc) to prove that they are a sustainable outfit.

Removing the pressure of relegation would encourage clubs to develop players gradually as opposed the the Leigh and Featherstone model of just signing every available ex-Super League player in a bid to get a Super League place.

The game as a whole at present just isn't strong enough to continue as it is now and something has to change collectively for the good of the game and not just for the good of the top 8 Super League sides

I agree with most of that, but I've always thought a club should get 3 seasons free from relegation and allowed to build, give them time to recruit, promote youth etc. Currently a club goes up, gets what it can, might get a few ageing overseas players on bloated contracts hoping it works. Maybe a 3 season stay of execution, with an end of 2nd season review of the progress. It might be harsh on others but currently the balance is so against promoted teams, especially via a play off, it makes it damn near impossible for an SL club to compete.

I like the 2 x 14 teams too, maybe with a direct route in from the Conference also. Though often I would expect the winners of that to not actually want to go semi pro.

3 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

I preferred it when there was just one league, although the changes they have made to make the game more open and faster and having summer rugby is a huge improvement imo.

However when there was one league with 32 teams, even if you were getting stuffed by the top clubs, rugby fans got too see the top teams with international stars.

Plus majority if not all of the clubs had a reserve team and played in a meaning full competition, with decent support from the fans.

I think two leagues is just a no brainer personally . 14 or 16 teams I’m not fussed but the third league is just not viable the way it is 

• Like 1