Match thread: Championship Rd 18. London v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 10th July 2022.

Played 17, won 14, drawn 1, lost 2.

But who are we kidding? Big win against Newcastle but we are struggling for form and fitness at this stage.

Up next London who have been poor all year and got a very good result at the weekend.

We'll be playing at Ebsfleet which will be the 118th ground Feathertsone Rovers have played on.

It's the 9th ground we have played on against London/Fulham away....

Craven Cottage
Crystal Palace Sports Centre
Barnet Copthall
Hendon FC
Chiswick Polytechnic
The Stoop, Twickenham
The Hive, Barnet
Ealing Sports Ground

Maybe we'll play them at Wimbledon soon. We never went to Brentford or Charlton either.

Squad news.

WIth 4 players in on loan and 4 players out on loan we're running a 28 man squad at the moment.
I'm not sure where Cuthbertson, Pickersgill and McConnell are at the mo. Injured (AC) or to be loaned out (BP & LM)?
Koppy is a long term injury.
Hardcastle said he hopes to be ready for London.
Hepi we haven't heard anything.
Wildie's ban is up so he'll be back.
Ford injured himself in training, Kheirallah did what looked like his knee, and Moors came off injured too, against Newcastle.
Gale, Hellewell and Cooper will all be hoping for a recall.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Played 17, won 14, drawn 1, lost 2.

But who are we kidding? Big win against Newcastle but we are struggling for form and fitness at this stage.

Up next London who have been poor all year and got a very good result at the weekend.

We'll be playing at Ebsfleet which will be the 118th ground Feathertsone Rovers have played on.

It's the 9th ground we have played on against London/Fulham away....

Craven Cottage
Crystal Palace Sports Centre
Barnet Copthall
Hendon FC
Chiswick Polytechnic
The Stoop, Twickenham
The Hive, Barnet
Ealing Sports Ground

Maybe we'll play them at Wimbledon soon. We never went to Brentford or Charlton either.

Squad news.

WIth 4 players in on loan and 4 players out on loan we're running a 28 man squad at the moment.
I'm not sure where Cuthbertson, Pickersgill and McConnell are at the mo. Injured (AC) or to be loaned out (BP & LM)?
Koppy is a long term injury.
Hardcastle said he hopes to be ready for London.
Hepi we haven't heard anything.
Wildie's ban is up so he'll be back.
Ford injured himself in training, Kheirallah did what looked like his knee, and Moors came off injured too, against Newcastle.
Gale, Hellewell and Cooper will all be hoping for a recall.

Looks like McConnell turned out for Donny yesterday and scored a try.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

18 minutes ago, roversspud said:

Looks like McConnell turned out for Donny yesterday and scored a try.

Ah! Missed that. Ta.

I suppose Cuthbertson will be an emergencies-only prop, which is a shame because I thought he did a good job earlier in the year.

Pickersgill's chance may come if MK is out.

Fingers crossed that MK is OK though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ah! Missed that. Ta.

I suppose Cuthbertson will be an emergencies-only prop, which is a shame because I thought he did a good job earlier in the year.

Pickersgill's chance may come if MK is out.

Fingers crossed that MK is OK though.

Pickersgill has fractured something in his back so was the talk on terraces Sat so doubt we are seeing him for a while

I think we're at the part of the season where winning is all that matters. Winning alone gives confidence to the players. Yes we can moan about missing tackles and not throwing the ball about, but when your team is scoring 5o odd points attack wise they must be doing something right. I'll admit defensively at times our goal line defence has been woeful, but is that down to individuals missing tackles, or teams using the same moves as us and not reacting quick enough. Although it's not just us conceding from set plays, even St Helens fall for the same misjudging of reading the game properly. Moan over.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I think we're at the part of the season where winning is all that matters. Winning alone gives confidence to the players. Yes we can moan about missing tackles and not throwing the ball about, but when your team is scoring 5o odd points attack wise they must be doing something right. I'll admit defensively at times our goal line defence has been woeful, but is that down to individuals missing tackles, or teams using the same moves as us and not reacting quick enough. Although it's not just us conceding from set plays, even St Helens fall for the same misjudging of reading the game properly. Moan over.

Yeah We all moan about defence but if we had beaten Leigh 58-22 then you wouldn't hear any moaning. So I reckon if we score 40 or more from now till the last game I don't think anyone would beat us😃😃😃

• Haha 1

It will be intersting to see if we can score at both ends of the pitch  last week sheffield scored six tries in the first half then london turned round and scored six in the second🤣

It didn't help that workmen were laying gas pipes across the pitch around the 20m line at one end🤪.I will have to keep in touch with the game by my daughters phone as one of my Christmas presents was ticket to Sundays Magic Weekend.Hull derby should be interesting they are both out of form.

• Haha 1

Junior Moors was in the training session shown on Fev social media, including lifting weights, so looks like he has hopefully avoided serious injury from Sunday's game, which is a big relief. No sign of Jonno Ford though so guess his groin injury remains an issue. Looking at some of the footage from the training session, maybe we'll see Broadbent at full back, where he played for Leeds on occasions.

It's been a strange old season hasn't it? Most of us feel a bit deflated at the moment yet we have scored at least 44 points in 9 of our last 12 matches. All down to expectations isn't it, especially when things looked so promising in January and February.

It can't help the players when expectations are so high. Other than when we play Leigh, people are going to go "so what?" when we win a game - the only way we can make the headlines is by losing. And then you don't really know which version of your opponent is going to turn up each week - are they going to have a dig or not?

All about positioning ourselves for the play-offs now, avoiding slip-ups to ensure we finish top two and then see if we can conjur up a 2019-style play-off surge in performance.

London another of those difficult-to-predict games. They might be on a high after their remarkable comeback win last week, and come at us all guns blazing looking for a scalp. Or they might not.

• Like 1

We could do with an injury update from the club but it sounds as if Kheirallah, Pickersgill and Kopczak are all gone for the year. I thought maybe Hally to FB and Hellewell/Hardcastle at centre, but maybe Broadbent to FB (so long as he tries to catch high kicks) and Gale back in.

Moors looks ok and Hardcastle has said he's ready.

I've not heard anything more about Hepi.

Or Cuthbertson.

Then there's Ford.

44 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Junior Moors was in the training session shown on Fev social media, including lifting weights, so looks like he has hopefully avoided serious injury from Sunday's game, which is a big relief. No sign of Jonno Ford though so guess his groin injury remains an issue. Looking at some of the footage from the training session, maybe we'll see Broadbent at full back, where he played for Leeds on occasions.

It's been a strange old season hasn't it? Most of us feel a bit deflated at the moment yet we have scored at least 44 points in 9 of our last 12 matches. All down to expectations isn't it, especially when things looked so promising in January and February.

It can't help the players when expectations are so high. Other than when we play Leigh, people are going to go "so what?" when we win a game - the only way we can make the headlines is by losing. And then you don't really know which version of your opponent is going to turn up each week - are they going to have a dig or not?

All about positioning ourselves for the play-offs now, avoiding slip-ups to ensure we finish top two and then see if we can conjur up a 2019-style play-off surge in performance.

London another of those difficult-to-predict games. They might be on a high after their remarkable comeback win last week, and come at us all guns blazing looking for a scalp. Or they might not.

We are that obsessed about comparing ourselves with Leigh  as are  the the fans of our opposition,we tend to lose all sense of reality. Batley fans thought they had won the cup and league when they won at Post Office Road but it's about retaining that right attitude into the next game that matters.Leigh are miles ahead and Fev are just in the mix with clubs beneath them. Batley were always a danger as are Halifax York and Barrow just to name a few.

• Like 1

My call on the XVII tomorrow:

Back 5. Hall, Briscoe, Leilua, and Broadbent for sure. So, either Gale or Hardcastle miss out.

Pivots. Unless Ford is ready to try last week's aborted experiment it's Smith, Jacks Wildie and Jones. 

Middles. Locky Coops Springer and Eseh.

Back row. Davies, Bussey and Moors which leaves one place for JSL or Hellewell or Ferres.

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

Has Springer been selected for this game?

He's in the squad we've announced Col, so unless he's crocked I can't imagine him not featuring, what with our currently  limited options in terms of big middles, made worse by the fact Ashworth looks to have been recalled.

Then again I thought Eseh would get a run out last week for much the same reason.

On 07/07/2022 at 14:39, J Phil Loxton said:

We are that obsessed about comparing ourselves with Leigh  as are  the the fans of our opposition,we tend to lose all sense of reality. Batley fans thought they had won the cup and league when they won at Post Office Road but it's about retaining that right attitude into the next game that matters.Leigh are miles ahead and Fev are just in the mix with clubs beneath them. Batley were always a danger as are Halifax York and Barrow just to name a few.

Summed up perfectly.

As i said before i am just about to set off to my first Magic weekend.I will be wearing fev style shirt and a yellow wig sitting with the Giants supporters.Our match i think Fev 42 London 16.Keep your eye on Parata he has been playing well this season with quick bursts down the middle .Good Luck.

13 hours ago, Adam B said:

He's in the squad we've announced Col, so unless he's crocked I can't imagine him not featuring, what with our currently  limited options in terms of big middles, made worse by the fact Ashworth looks to have been recalled.

Then again I thought Eseh would get a run out last week for much the same reason.

Cheers Adam B. It will be interesting to see the actual line up.