Hull KR sack Tony Smith

Danny Maguire in charge until end of season.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The club is in abetter position than it was when he took over and had the team playing some great rugby but it’s probably force he best that he has left. The team was in a real slump and it was hard to see them getting out of it while he was in charge.

The slump coincided with his announcement that he was leaving at the end of the year and the way that he went about doing it. It must have had some effect on the players.

• Like 1

Always difficult when you know a coach is leaving at the end of the year and your season is going nowhere. The looming "why wait till then?" question is inevitable.

I wonder had this been a few months earlier if we'd have seen TS back at Leeds 

• Like 2

Not a surprise and always going to end this way after the departure announcement. It’s a shame as they have/had real momentum with getting 80 minutes from Old Trafford last year, a Cup semi this year and the matchday experience at their place being one of the best in the game. 

• Like 1

If he’s settled in the area it would be a shame for him to up roots and leave…

• Haha 6
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Not a surprise and always going to end this way after the departure announcement. It’s a shame as they have/had real momentum with getting 80 minutes from Old Trafford last year, a Cup semi this year and the matchday experience at their place being one of the best in the game. 

It's obvious something happened there, which shattered his illusions about his standing in the club.

I'm afraid they might live to rue the day, they knee-capped his ambitions.

I get the impression, there's some bitter resentment (on his part) about the whole episode. 

He's obviously a very talented coach.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If he’s settled in the area it would be a shame for him to up roots and leave…

Can't imagine where he'd find another job in Hull.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

It's obvious something happened there, which shattered his illusions about his standing in the club.

I'm afraid they might live to rue the day, they knee-capped his ambitions.

I get the impression, there's some bitter resentment (on his part) about the whole episode. 

He's obviously a very talented coach.

Rather than guess about imaginary events, I prefer to judge people by the actions we can all see with our own eyes. Smith acted appallingly that day, and it showed the real man underneath.

Always all about Tony and his ego, not the club. The only thing I’m sad about is that Hudgell didn’t tell him to just ‘do one’ when he woke him up on holiday 2 minutes before his petulant press conference performance, having already told the players. 

• Confused 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

It seems to easy for me to blame the slump on him announcing he would be leaving. He is/was a good coach and no doubt put the same effort in as before his announcement.

Why would the players not perform because of his announcement - they had a lot to play for and were contenders for play-off prior to slump. Surely enough motivation. 

• Like 2

Whenever a coach leaves it is either the side improves and "they did it for the coach" or they get worse / stay the same and the disruption is blamed.

I've never been too convinced by these narratives. But in Smith's case, when you blindside the club and announce you're off and criticise club management, it's hard to see how that wouldn't create friction.

He's a great coach but I wonder if the manner in which he's handled his exit might put new clubs off?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rather than guess about imaginary events, I prefer to judge people by the actions we can all see with our own eyes. Smith acted appallingly that day, and it showed the real man underneath.

Always all about Tony and his ego, not the club. The only thing I’m sad about is that Hudgell didn’t tell him to just ‘do one’ when he woke him up on holiday 2 minutes before his petulant press conference performance, having already told the players. 

As you say we have no idea about behind the scenes and only see the reactions to something, even if it was the something that was so bad it caused an unusual and startling reaction.

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

As you say we have no idea about behind the scenes and only see the reactions to something, even if it was the something that was so bad it caused an unusual and startling reaction.

Nothing can have been that bad. Not if you’re a professional. Weak, weak behaviour from a man who thinks the world revolves around his unique magnificence. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Whenever a coach leaves it is either the side improves and "they did it for the coach" or they get worse / stay the same and the disruption is blamed.

I've never been too convinced by these narratives. But in Smith's case, when you blindside the club and announce you're off and criticise club management, it's hard to see how that wouldn't create friction.

He's a great coach but I wonder if the manner in which he's handled his exit might put new clubs off?

I wouldn’t hire someone who’d done that in a million years. In fact, I never hire people who have walked without consideration of the transition responsibility, or who openly criticise their former employers during the selection process. Massive red flag.  

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You have the advantage over me, in that you are much closer to the club and must have witnessed Smith ''acting appallingly that day'' (which day?). I sadly, have not seen the press conference you refer to, nor am I aware of what provoked the behaviour/actions you abhor. I sense that you may know him personally and have formed a less than complimentary opinion of ''the man underneath''.

I'm just assuming that his beliefs about his position at the club were erroneous (delusional, perhaps) and he must have endured something of a rude awakening. Why else, would he suddenly announce his decision to leave the club at the seasons end?

I don't know who, might have upraised him of his error, surely though there can't be many people at the club with the authority to knock him down a peg or two? Perhaps you can enlighten us?

Let me just finish by adding that I'm not trying to be provocative, I certainly didn't mean to cause you (or anyone else) any offence, I was just speculating about what would move him to announce his resignation, mid season.