Two Games Abandoned

• Havenwarrior changed the title to Two Games Abandoned

I expect to be reading some comments about how those involved are football fans, only the opposition's fans or, the classic, "not real rugby league people".

Anything to avoid accepting that we seem to have a bit of an issue.

• Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Every sport has its own idiotic fans, and you are right that RL is not immune to such an incomprehensible lack of self-restraint. I think we are still talking about a small minority of morons, but this sort of behaviour is extreme and totally unnecessary. We must not condone it. Those caught doing it (or themselves condoning it) should pay a heavy price.

• Like 1

Sadly it only takes a minority to spoil the image.

Also the trauma and distress for anyone who's sees these incidents, particularly children.

For me poor behaviour is too easily excused, desensitizing people to moderate abuse and aggression, meaning the leap to full out violence and abuse isn't a large step.

Behaviours at rugby matches and online shouldn't be compromised. 

The minimum we should expect is courtesy and respect then hopefully it doesn't escalate beyond, many RU games are so different.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

An under 18s game? What is wrong with people?

Probably the ref's fault.

It's become endemic and tragic, the level of abuse and scorn aimed at match officials these days, from club officials (Guasch) to coaches (All) and players (Newman) not to mention a very high proportion of fans who see the referee's as enemies there to be hated and shot at.

It's time the authorities finally did something about it.

Anyone caught trouble causing or abusing match officials should be banned from RL for life and issued with a criminal caution.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, meast said:

It's become endemic and tragic, the level of abuse and scorn aimed at match officials these days, from club officials (Guasch) to coaches (All) and players (Newman) not to mention a very high proportion of fans who see the referee's as enemies there to be hated and shot at.

Anyone caught trouble causing or abusing match officials should be banned from RL for life and issued with a criminal caution.

I fully agree, sadly many don't.

The internet is an echo chamber for those who wish to criticize officials and the disciplinary panel

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, meast said:

The RFL have recently introduced some rules around to hopefully halt the abuse of young match officials (U18), incidents of such like which will be dealt with as a safeguarding issue. This can result in temporary or life-time suspension orders. Let's hope they get used when the opportunity arises.

• Like 1

In this weeks LE there's 2 or 3 letters from fans giving referee's stick, one even calls match officials "clowns"

I don't think stuff like that is particularly helpful to rugby league's "All we ask is that you enjoy taking part and treat everyone with RESPECT. Rugby League will not tolerate any abuse that might upset others in the game." 

We hear and see these announcements everywhere in RL yet it all seems to be brushed under the carpet, Hull KR fans' abuse of the referee last week on SKY for example, it's accepted, it's tolerated, yet the above mantra says it's not.

The dedicated RL newspaper allows it's correspondents to abuse match officials in their publications, SKY and other TV companies push coaches and players to give the ref some stick, not to mention their commentators piling on if they don't agree with a referee's decision.

As I say, until the RFL/SL etc stick to their supposed zero tolerance stance and come down hard then nothing will change.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, meast said:

Completely agree.

I don't think in the case of the u-18s cup final that it was anything to do with on-field events or the referee. I watched the YouTube video of the game, and there really didn't seem to be anything that would've prompted fighting in the stand. One of the West Hull players did end up in the crowd, remonstrating with a fairly angry looking woman, but the game itself seemed fine.

Horrible situation to put teenage match officials in. 

• Like 1

I thought this extract from the piece was interesting and depressingin equal measure. 

"Match official Mark Cayton called a halt to the National Conference Premier Division game between Hunslet Club Parkside and visitors Lock Lane, from Castleford, midway through the second half.

Parkside secretary Paul Thorpe told the Evening Post he was “gobsmacked” when play was stopped and claimed the referee had said he “felt threatened by the Lock Lane players”, but a spokesman for the visitors insisted the official had been alarmed by behaviour from both teams."

Firstly, a National Conference Premier Division fixture.  This is supposed to be the best of the amateur sides.

And secondly, what was the reaction of the officials of both sides... "it was them". 

Absolutely farcical.  Take control of your players and boot em out the club if they are thugs.  It will be best in the long run.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Completely agree.

I don't think in the case of the u-18s cup final that it was anything to do with on-field events or the referee. I watched the YouTube video of the game, and there really didn't seem to be anything that would've prompted fighting in the stand. One of the West Hull players did end up in the crowd, remonstrating with a fairly angry looking woman, but the game itself seemed fine.

Horrible situation to put teenage match officials in. 

I know it's not funny but that did make me laugh.  There didn't seem to be any issues with the game that would cause trouble apart from the player going into the crowd and arguing with the fans.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, meast said:

The dedicated RL newspaper allows it's correspondents to abuse match officials in their publications, SKY and other TV companies push coaches and players to give the ref some stick, not to mention their commentators piling on if they don't agree with a referee's decision.

Here here. LE can choose not to publish those letters, nothing to do with representing opinions when its to the detriment of the sport.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought this extract from the piece was interesting and depressingin equal measure. 

"Match official Mark Cayton called a halt to the National Conference Premier Division game between Hunslet Club Parkside and visitors Lock Lane, from Castleford, midway through the second half.

Parkside secretary Paul Thorpe told the Evening Post he was “gobsmacked” when play was stopped and claimed the referee had said he “felt threatened by the Lock Lane players”, but a spokesman for the visitors insisted the official had been alarmed by behaviour from both teams."

Firstly, a National Conference Premier Division fixture.  This is supposed to be the best of the amateur sides.

And secondly, what was the reaction of the officials of both sides... "it was them". 

Absolutely farcical.  Take control of your players and boot em out the club if they are thugs.  It will be best in the long run.

Good job this wasn't one of the games on Our League then!

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Take control of your players and boot em out the club if they are thugs.

There's far too much tolerance of outright thuggery on the pretext that RL is a game for hard men.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This doesn't really suprise me. A few years ago when I lived in South Leeds I went some pretty low level amateur games - like Pennine League Division 4 and Yorkshire League Division 5.

The behaviour of from both the pitch and the touchline towards referees was absolutely disgusting. Not every week, I ought to say - but quite a regular basis.

I'm surprised any referees are willing to officiate when subjected to that level of sustained abuse.

• Like 4

when theres no refs or linesmen or other such people who give up their time for nothing then there will be no game - when that day comes i hope these "people" will be proud of themselves

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

when theres no refs or linesmen or other such people who give up their time for nothing then there will be no game - when that day comes i hope these "people" will be proud of themselves

They'll be blaming the RFL for "killing the game" and the like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

So one in Leeds and one in Fev which is near Leeds? hmm surely it was leeds united football fans who haven't got any football to go to so decided to go to the rugby to kick off?

Or if not then the Ref 'had a shocker' and was fair game to cop some abuse so it was his fault?

either way numpties like these need eradicating from the game but we all know nothing will be done apart from the Ref deciding to pack it in instead of putting up with that every week.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

You only have to look at the comments on Barrow v Halifax game. Apparently it was refs fault Miloudi fouled Worthington who then repeatedly punched him. 

You should have listened to the Radio York commentary vs Barrow, the ref at fault for every Barrow point. So biased it was funny. At least the York coach had the good grace not to blame the ref.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bar red said:

You should have listened to the Radio York commentary vs Barrow, the ref at fault for every Barrow point. So biased it was funny. At least the York coach had the good grace not to blame the ref.

Must employ qualified refs on Radio York!

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I expect to be reading some comments about how those involved are football fans, only the opposition's fans or, the classic, "not real rugby league people".

Anything to avoid accepting that we seem to have a bit of an issue.

Or the other line that gets wheeled out

"We've never seen them at our ground before" or "We have no idea who they were"

Of course you've no idea - and I've just seen a pink unicorn running down the touchline...

• Like 1

The RFL have introduced Game Day Manager's at junior level and I'm one of them. That individual has to step in to try and calm their own speccies down. If they can't they inform the ref who has the power to stop the game. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

However having "trained" for this role it puts a heavy burden on me when it gets heated. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3