Two Games Abandoned

2 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

The RFL have introduced Game Day Manager's at junior level and I'm one of them. That individual has to step in to try and calm their own speccies down. If they can't they inform the ref who has the power to stop the game. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

However having "trained" for this role it puts a heavy burden on me when it gets heated. 

Blimey. Rather you than me.

Good to see such things being implemented and I hope they make a difference. Obviously, a shame that it needs doing at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

The RFL have introduced Game Day Manager's at junior level and I'm one of them. That individual has to step in to try and calm their own speccies down. If they can't they inform the ref who has the power to stop the game. Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

However having "trained" for this role it puts a heavy burden on me when it gets heated. 

Well done I hope it works out 

Sadly I've seen game day managers abused, people who abuse the ref are unlikely to reason with someone else. They believe their yelling is justified so how do you reason? 

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

Rather you than me, pal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Some of the worst things I see at the junior levels are usually from people who are part of the teams, be that coaches, first aiders or helpers. I saw it at an U12's game that I were watching a couple of weeks back with the opposition coach not only abusing an official that was u18 but also being awful to his own team. That is not the standard that should be set and complaints were sent in but likely nothing will come of it.

Edited by The Blues Ox
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, binosh said:

It’s always in Yorkshire, wasnt there a team from Ponte had to fold a few years ago for being thugs?

Redhill were kicked out of the NCL in 2003 after numerous warnings about their disciplinary problems,I think they also had one player banned for life for kicking an opponent in the head.

55 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Redhill were kicked out of the NCL in 2003 after numerous warnings about their disciplinary problems,I think they also had one player banned for life for kicking an opponent in the head.

Chequerfield  Pontefract were booted out due to crowd trouble air rifle fired at opposing players racist abuse. Fryston booted out? Or should have been.

3 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Well done I hope it works out 

Sadly I've seen game day managers abused, people who abuse the ref are unlikely to reason with someone else. They believe their yelling is justified so how do you reason? 

We're lucky in that we play in the NE League so it's not too bad. A lot of parents have no history with the game so the biggest issue by far is player decent but protective parents, particularly those who coach or administrate for the club, are the worst culprits.

My biggest issue is clapping and cheering a knock-on or similar error. That's where it starts - you condone celebrating mistakes then it grows from there creating animosity from the opposition. I just think you're asking a lot from a kid who is carrying a large ball with half sized hands to be error free. Is it really to be celebrated? My advice to the RFL would be to prevent coaches and administrators commenting on the opposition during play. "He'll miss that kick", "Knock-on?! - YES!!" etc No need. You only draw criticism for your own child's mistakes and set a bad example. If that was implemented I could simply remind people not to do it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

We're lucky in that we play in the NE League so it's not too bad. A lot of parents have no history with the game so the biggest issue by far is player decent but protective parents, particularly those who coach or administrate for the club, are the worst culprits.

My biggest issue is clapping and cheering a knock-on or similar error. That's where it starts - you condone celebrating mistakes then it grows from there creating animosity from the opposition. I just think you're asking a lot from a kid who is carrying a large ball with half sized hands to be error free. Is it really to be celebrated? My advice to the RFL would be to prevent coaches and administrators commenting on the opposition during play. "He'll miss that kick", "Knock-on?! - YES!!" etc No need. You only draw criticism for your own child's mistakes and set a bad example. If that was implemented I could simply remind people not to do it.

Parents are the worst thing about junior sport. "Paying" players for tries is bad as well.

• Like 2

Having reffed junior rugby albeit RU for 15+years, it's the coaches who set the tone for the players and some of the spectators. Indisciplined coaches usually mean indisciplined players and spectators. I can only think of one occasion where a coach challenged one of his own parents who started mouthing off about a forward pass. We were both in line and he just told the spectator it was forward. 

It's the adults that spoil junior sport.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Parents are the worst thing about junior sport. "Paying" players for tries is bad as well.

Coming on for forty years ago (yipes, how time flies!) Phil Larder came down to London to give us a talk about junior development and one of the things he warned us about was the attitude of some parents that we'd have to face. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ackroman said:

This was done years ago, used to do it myself when my lad played Under 8s. Remember having to take action when one of the other teams dad's took issue with the referee, shouting at him and telling him he was effing s hite, when I suggested he leave him alone as he was only 14, "Doesn't matter he's still effing s hite".

If it were up to me, both him and his kid would have been banned from the game for that.

• Like 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

17 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

This doesn't really suprise me. A few years ago when I lived in South Leeds I went some pretty low level amateur games - like Pennine League Division 4 and Yorkshire League Division 5.

The behaviour of from both the pitch and the touchline towards referees was absolutely disgusting. Not every week, I ought to say - but quite a regular basis.

I'm surprised any referees are willing to officiate when subjected to that level of sustained abuse.

As a ref at that level you are absolutely on your own. Some clubs are great and don't tolerate any bad behaviour. Others, not so much. I didn't have many bad days but when it went pear shaped it could get pretty unpleasant.

Clubs tend to get their overall behaviour from the top down. Strong clubs with strong leadership crack down on this stuff and set an example. I remember once at a junior game at Hoyland Vikings one of the parents was about to go on the pitch in an U15 game to remonstrate with an opposition player. The chairman, the late much missed Steve Creek, was a big lad but he got on the pitch and dragged the guy away before I could move!

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 hours ago, Ackroman said:

I did that. It can be a tough job.

What worried me more than almost anything was perusing the disciplinary commitee findings for the YJL and seeing Match Day Managers up on charges of referee abuse.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Thanks for being part of the solution and good luck in the role.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's far too much tolerance of outright thuggery on the pretext that RL is a game for hard men.

Well said,gingerjon. They train hard and play hard, but there is an undertone of needless stupid violence creeping into the game. No encouragement for the young lads wishing to take up the official side of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Having reffed junior rugby albeit RU for 15+years, it's the coaches who set the tone for the players and some of the spectators. Indisciplined coaches usually mean indisciplined players and spectators. I can only think of one occasion where a coach challenged one of his own parents who started mouthing off about a forward pass. We were both in line and he just told the spectator it was forward. 

It's the adults that spoil junior sport.

Absolutely this. Coaches have a huge responsibility and as you say set the tone. I wouldn't pick any child who's parents behaved inappropriately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Coaches/refs dont need all the aggro off parents, only way to try stop it is massive fines for the parents, not the clubs who do end up with fines to pay,over the last 30 years have seen dads run on pitch and chin the lad who tackled him at u16s, a u12 player who went on to Sl used to come off at half time and kick hell out of his mams legs,and if you said owt she went for them not the kid, mams dragged out a car after game in away team carparks and beaten hell out of,one player u16 ran all way over to other side and kicked a player in nuts who dident see him coming, its nothing new,and not many games called off,one OA player was whacked from behind and had his jaw broke, players called BB by directors.maskots spat at,away fans throwing plastic pot full of pi** at our crowd with kids in, so many things wrong with the game and we wonder why crowds are dwindling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Absolutely this. Coaches have a huge responsibility and as you say set the tone. I wouldn't pick any child who's parents behaved inappropriately

So you'd take the actions of a parent out on a child who has done nothing wrong......seriously???? 

A child is not responsible for the actions of his parents/ adults and to make them the scapegoat is unfair and unjust. 

By all means take action against the parent , that should be a given but not against a child.... 

Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rach said:

So you'd take the actions of a parent out on a child who has done nothing wrong......seriously???? 

A child is not responsible for the actions of his parents and to make them the scapegoat is unfair and unjust. 

It's on the parent to behave then.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Rach said:

A child is not responsible for the actions of his parents/ adults and to make them the scapegoat is unfair and unjust. 

By all means take action against the parent , that should be a given but not against a child.... 

I know what you mean, and it is effectively punishing the child, but surely the best way to mitigate the immediate threat is to not have the parents there cheering on the child. And unless we ban spectators then the only way is to not select the child. Shame though, I agree.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan