Hairnets

jroyales

About 3 months ago upon the signing of the Melrose playing fields lease, Littler said....

“When I came to the club I spoke to Chris and John about putting structures and facilities in place to assist the club with progressing.

“On the back of the excellent gym facilities at Glo Gym and the staff we have in place we are building systems that will support the team’s ongoing development.”

......really Stu????? No evidence so far. At least we are launching a Women's team though 🙄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rochdale Roughyed said:

About 3 months ago upon the signing of the Melrose playing fields lease, Littler said....

“When I came to the club I spoke to Chris and John about putting structures and facilities in place to assist the club with progressing.

“On the back of the excellent gym facilities at Glo Gym and the staff we have in place we are building systems that will support the team’s ongoing development.”

......really Stu????? No evidence so far. At least we are launching a Women's team though 🙄

No one had any doubt that putting systems in place and gelling as a team would take time, but the bottom line for me is that the recruitment has been poor. These days practically all our competitors (or at least the ones we’d like to be competing with) are crammed with ex SL players, some who didn’t quite make the grade but are hardened and experienced. Knowledge, toughness, mental strength. The cry ‘let’s build from below with Oldham lads’ is simply not good enough. Apart from good discovery Restall and a hugely frustrated Ridyard, possibly Whittel, had anyone else looked good at this level or shown consistency throughout a single 80 minutes, let alone from game to game.? When your young loanees with barely a first team game between them outshine our ex-Leigh players it’s going to be impossible to go forward. If one of the most successful SL coaches ever (Brian Mac) couldn’t squeeze a win out of this side, how on Earth can anyone else when Langtree, Dupree and Reilly  have gone and been replaced by lesser players. This slump is going to take a long time to get out of, even if we do pull the unexpected occasional win out of the bag, This season unfortunately appears to effectively be a write off and hard and early retainment and crucial recruitment decisions need to be made early, not just picking from the mediocre crop that was left after every else had had first pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

So with 10 to go Hornets holding a slender 32-24 lead, we make a great break. Two on one. Pass out wide to the second oldham player was absolutely appalling, way forward and chance home. Chase stood over the Oldham player and laughed at him and clapped him in a totally unnecessary and ungentlemanly manner. Fight ensues, Luke Nelmes get 10 minutes and chase gets away with it. Chase should have gone with yellow card minimum and hopefully 2 games. James Bentley hit this punishment earlier this season for exactly this reason. 
That was then game over. 

As a footnote I thought the referee was really poor and made a lot of incorrect decisions. 

Refs don't miss tackles.

Chin up.

As you were saying Anita the referee will make a difference, this one certainly did. Scoring a try when the ball was dead in goal, could argue bad line marking and the second really poor decision was when they were attacking the line, a great tackle to bring him down short, he loses the ball and man in black gives another six tackles and they score.

Those two scores changed the game completely besides penalising them SEVEN times for head shots.

It's no wonder their heads went down.

Great first half and a shocking display of refereeing in the second.

After all that it was worth the money just to watch Rangy Chase - what a player totally dictated the game and two great individual scores.

Having reflected on this afternoon’s game Oldham played well in the 1st half with Rochdale struggling with their structured plays with many passes not hitting the mark. Oldham should have known what to expect 2nd half but Rochdale changed the game with Pencyvic (?) playing hooker & Chase running the ball, the 2 old heads completely dominated the game. Even at this level money talks, Oldham have none & Rochdale do. Both clubs don’t generate much revenue but Rochdale’s board can fund the players we can’t - that won’t change unless the owner does.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

Having reflected on this afternoon’s game Oldham played well in the 1st half with Rochdale struggling with their structured plays with many passes not hitting the mark. Oldham should have known what to expect 2nd half but Rochdale changed the game with Pencyvic (?) playing hooker & Chase running the ball, the 2 old heads completely dominated the game. Even at this level money talks, Oldham have none & Rochdale do. Both clubs don’t generate much revenue but Rochdale’s board can fund the players we can’t - that won’t change unless the owner does.

I agree with you about funding but what most people don't appreciate is the depth of Rugby knowledge that the board possess. The cash generally goes in the right places at Hornets. The brilliant signings of Penky, Fui ,Rangi Greg MacNally allied to the Hornets youngsters plus the clever Loanee signings have created a team that is not yet the finished article but is capable of beating most teams in League One. 

Put this together with some sound business acumen and Hornets are benefitting.

Still a rocky road for Hornets and all League One clubs to travel and I for one don't know where it will end.

• Like 3

Only a short while ago Hornets where in the position you seem to be in but we didn’t have 100-0 and 66-0 scores so all is not lost. We are lucky to have a great board who have not just put money in but come up with fund raising ideas. Oldham desperately wanted to beat Hornets but probably gave all they had in 40 minutes. I hope you turn it around because both clubs need each other.

• Like 2

I thought the 1st half score flattered us because rochdale made error after error.  Once they turned up in the 2nd half it was inevitable it would be a procession.

One of the worrying things was the players body language behind the sticks.  The fight has gone, this team is beaten.

The season is over for me, not wasting time and money watching the worst Oldham rugby team in my time.  

• Like 3

Dave Butt were you there?

I agree everything went right in the first half, Rochdale couldn't string two passes together and Oldham took advantage. LRhead sums it up, two players injured and he ignored it. probably waiting for a Rochdale try. this in addition to my other comments. You can't argue that you got the rub of the green in that second half.

I suppose I could be sympathetic and suggest the man in black was suffering from sunstroke!

40 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Dave Butt were you there?

I agree everything went right in the first half, Rochdale couldn't string two passes together and Oldham took advantage. LRhead sums it up, two players injured and he ignored it. probably waiting for a Rochdale try. this in addition to my other comments. You can't argue that you got the rub of the green in that second half.

I suppose I could be sympathetic and suggest the man in black was suffering from sunstroke!

Who was it that said - “ The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get ? “

If we hadn’t have bombed several moves close to the line in the first half the score would have been closer at ht although not close enough. We were second best most of the time. Second half we stopped bombing try scoring moves. In rugby league once you get on a roll it’s hard for the opposition to get a hold of the ball. I’d like to know what the possession stats were for the second half.

My solution - do what football do. The team that has conceded a score restarts play with a tap ball on the half way line. At least you break up that domination of possession.

Good luck for the rest of the season. The derby is different to any other game. We wouldn’t want to lose it.

• Like 1

The referee didn’t swing the result in Rochdale’s favour yesterday. Rochdale’s execution was poor in the 1st half, they went more direct in the 2nd half (Pencyvic?) & Chase was given freedom to run the ball. 

When you look at our spine: Restall (FB) came in from amateur & has done brilliantly; Ridyard; other HB changes every week & hooker x 2 changes every week. It’s hard to establish patterns of play when you don’t know who is coming in from week to week especially behind a beaten pack, which is often the case

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

The referee didn’t swing the result in Rochdale’s favour yesterday. Rochdale’s execution was poor in the 1st half, they went more direct in the 2nd half (Pencyvic?) & Chase was given freedom to run the ball. 

When you look at our spine: Restall (FB) came in from amateur & has done brilliantly; Ridyard; other HB changes every week & hooker x 2 changes every week. It’s hard to establish patterns of play when you don’t know who is coming in from week to week especially behind a beaten pack, which is often the case

Bang on.....and I also think the sin binnings helped Rochdale because it gave Penky and Rangi more space to dominate.

I dread to think what the score could have been if Rochdale would have turned up for the full 80.

last season and this season games played 38

loses 31

draws2

wins 5 

now i know why we lost 31 games, thanks for telling me rank bad referees.

and if somebody please tell me how this garbage is going to alter next season with no funds

to buy descent players.