NRL and International Footy

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has Gus actually said wrong, he said those that qualify for origin should be allowed to play origin,  he then said as long as we have these very flexible international qualification rules of going back two generations if those player's Australian born then elect to play for their heritage country and they feel that pull deep in their chest then why should they not be allowed to do so. 

Exactly. He’s defending the international game from professional boofheads like Paul Gallen who think it’s all about Origin. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The NRL couldn’t give two hoots about the international game. I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw a strong international game as a threat to Origin. If they had control of it their only aim would probably be to run it into the ground.

How many hoots does the RFL give?

33 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've asked before....if we did say a tri series with France and the strongest other nation each year (Ireland I'd say at moment).... Would it be attended/supported?....I'd like to think it would and I know id attend but not sure it would end up being a squib 

We have to try. And stick to it. Play games in Dublin, Glasgow, Cardiff and stick to these cities for 5 years. I'd go.. right now, i dont have anything fun to attend in RL, so i go elsewhere

• Like 4

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The NRL couldn’t give two hoots about the international game. I wouldn’t be surprised if they saw a strong international game as a threat to Origin. If they had control of it their only aim would probably be to run it into the ground.

They do see a strong international game as a threat to origin and there is the problem for the NRL

• Like 1

It sounds like the NRL will support end of season internationals so hopefully we'll get 4/6 Nations or something similar.

Mid season will have to be done without the NRL so  England could play Exiles and France with France playing the next strongest nation when we play Exiles. Wales, Scotland, Ireland and maybe Jamaica and Nigeria could then play some tests against each other other. The SL/ RFL need to work with those nations to try and replicate what's happening in the SH with the Pacific Nations.

Jamaica and Nigeria in particular have a domestic competition and some good heritage players to call on as well as large communities that could be tapped in to

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

It sounds like the NRL will support end of season internationals so hopefully we'll get 4/6 Nations or something similar.

Mid season will have to be done without the NRL so  England could play Exiles and France with France playing the next strongest nation when we play Exiles. Wales, Scotland, Ireland and maybe Jamaica and Nigeria could then play some tests against each other other. The SL/ RFL need to work with those nations to try and replicate what's happening in the SH with the Pacific Nations.

Jamaica and Nigeria in particular have a domestic competition and some good heritage players to call on as well as large communities that could be tapped in to

Nigeria aren't strong enough to be facing Jamaica at the moment. Next year I would like to see a two leg test between England and France. Jamaica, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales can all play eachother. I will say that it is key for Jamaica to host a home game in Kingston. It's the only way to increase exposure in the country.

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

Nigeria aren't strong enough to be facing Jamaica at the moment. Next year I would like to see a two leg test between England and France. Jamaica, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales can all play eachother. I will say that it is key for Jamaica to host a home game in Kingston. It's the only way to increase exposure in the country.

Nigeria have got a lot of potential and I suppose they've got the MEA Championship to compete in. I would definitely include Jamaica in tests against some of the home nations.

An end of season tournament needs to include Jamaica and Lebanon with the European teams that aren't involved in a 4/6 Nations 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Nigeria have got a lot of potential and I suppose they've got the MEA Championship to compete in. I would definitely include Jamaica in tests against some of the home nations.

An end of season tournament needs to include Jamaica and Lebanon with the European teams that aren't involved in a 4/6 Nations 

At risk of becoming repetitive, I think one way forward, would be to organise a tournament between the home nations (not England) and France, then the tournament winners get the carrot of playing England in a challenge match.

This way, will encourage growth in the 4 competing nations (Jamaica too perhaps) whilst improving standards in a fairly evenly matched competition.

Once the tournament winners, defeat England, the English can be subsumed into the competition and you have your long awaited 5/6 nations championships. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

At risk of becoming repetitive, I think one way forward, would be to organise a tournament between the home nations (not England) and France, then the tournament winners get the carrot of playing England in a challenge match.

This way, will encourage growth in the 4 competing nations (Jamaica too perhaps) whilst improving standards in a fairly evenly matched competition.

Once the tournament winners, defeat England, the English can be subsumed into the competition and you have your long awaited 5/6 nations championships. 

England Knights could play in that competition though. I think France and England need an annual test though. I think we're a long way off a 5/6 nations tournament. Scotland barely have a domestic league and Ireland is only in its infancy but there is a lot of potential there if you can get an underage conversion programme for union players. Jamaica and Wales have the most potential.

I really don't see the issue with demarcation of SoO and te international game. Why shouldn't Hastings, or even Dom Young, be able to play for both NSW and England if they fit the rules fir both (and are good enough - purely hypothetical). Ditto NSW and NZ or Samoa (which for the latter we already allow) 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has Gus actually said wrong, he said those that qualify for origin should be allowed to play origin,  he then said as long as we have these very flexible international qualification rules of going back two generations if those player's Australian born then elect to play for their heritage country and they feel that pull deep in their chest then why should they not be allowed to do so. 

To be fair, this thread isn't really about that point. They can choose who they want for their Origin games, they are not IRL sanctioned games. 

The discussion is about the NRL running the international game. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

You mean like the European Championship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You mean like the European Championship?

Yes! 

A NRL run game would at least allow for one set of rules, albeit with SL a northern version of the Queensland Cup.

Would we therefore get "our boys" in their Origin?

Mid season internationals

Not sure about that Exiles game. Is it a full test, friendly, trial or festival match?

I will repeat this proposal.

Les Bleus v England in southern France around or on Bastille Day.

Annual event, embedded in the calendar.

Make if for a Puig Aubert Trophy.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

More than the Aussie authorities do. The RFL wouldn’t try to undermine international RL for the benefit of a three game series between Yorkshire and Lancashire

Can you give examples of when the RFL have cared about the International game over the last 10 years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Can you give examples of when the RFL have cared about the International game over the last 10 years?

I agree with this, there has been far too little in the way of ambition and vision in both hemispheres. 

We are happy to play a Combined Nations team while France are our near neighbours. 

Imagine the fuss on here if Australia refused to play New Zealand or Tonga in favour of an NRL All Stars team.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I don't think there needs to be a hero's and a villains argument at play here. 

A commercial national governing body shouldn't be running the world game. They should be focusing on their remit. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't think there needs to be a hero's and a villains argument at play here.

Where there are heroes, there are those cast by history in the opposite role. Barry Davies said that after the Spurs-Arsenal fa cup semi-final in 1991. I don't think it's particularly relevant here, but it always stuck in my head.

Euro Champs would be alright, but I want GB/England for The Ashes. Probably GB, because there might be a good Welsh or Scottish player like Jonathan Davies or Alan Tait. Agree about playing France though. They're the best hope of another good team. Help them in every way possible. Wales might occasionally be good. Scotland will always be garbage. Probably Ireland too.

14 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Where there are heroes, there are those cast by history in the opposite role. Barry Davies said that after the Spurs-Arsenal fa cup semi-final in 1991. I don't think it's particularly relevant here, but it always stuck in my head.

Euro Champs would be alright, but I want GB/England for The Ashes. Probably GB, because there might be a good Welsh or Scottish player like Jonathan Davies or Alan Tait. Agree about playing France though. They're the best hope of another good team. Help them in every way possible. Wales might occasionally be good. Scotland will always be garbage. Probably Ireland too.

I think Ireland have the best shot of the best home nations team as I suspect more people of Irish heritage than any other. Think they have always seemed to have a good amount of SL players. Where would we find their current likely line up for WC?

Gus is an annoying bloke who always has the solution for everything (and then deletes the memory of when he's been wrong), but all he's really saying here is >

- International football should be more important, it's our growth opportunity (and the NRLs local differentiator)

- We should be flexible for Origin criteria so players don't get forced to not play for their country in exchange for an Origin spot

- The International Board have been useless for decades

Who on here can't agree with all of that? The fact the NRL have been too self-interested before and been part of the problem previously isn't relevant anymore. If they see internationals as in their self-interest now, then who can argue they wouldn't be better at doing something with it these days? The RFL and the International Org are incompetent, staffed with average no-marks (or hardly anyone at all). The NRL is chock-full of the best sports and marketing talent our code has, because of their huge media income and the fact they lead their local market so it's a prestigious sport to work for

"Yes please, when can you start?" is what I say....!!

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

The fact the NRL have been too self-interested before and been part of the problem previously isn't relevant anymore.

It sort of is given it's their current actions meaning the mid season internationals won't now take place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It sort of is given it's their current actions meaning the mid season internationals won't now take place.

That's a 2-year old decision they're now stuck with - I don't think they'd cut that deal now

The best way to get people to come with you is wait for them to change direction, and encourage them. The mindset is shifting right now. Telling them about all the mistakes they've made before isn't encouragement. Let's encourage, and roll with it 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?