Leigh sign...........

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And there we have the crux Paul, I have not thought for one minute our starting 6 & 7 were good enough early doors this season but the club has carried on with them albeit Reynolds at 6 has really improved of late, but I have no faith at all in Mellor, just my opinion of course and seemingly in complete contradiction to the Leigh coaching staff.

I think the most likely scenario is Ata Hingano is let go and replaced by another import to take a starting half spot, with Mellor and Reynolds to compete for the remaining place. There isn't exactly a wealth of homegrown halves at the moment, even Saints are struggling with depth once Dodds got injured.

2 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Serious question….how many players do Leyth have on the overseas quota this year and therefore how many will they have to shed before they come up?  Which they will.

13 currently, but some will be quite easy decisions on departures. Inu, Hitchcox, Ioane and Hingano will be definite departures and Nakubuwai highly likely. The key retentions to make from the overseas players are Nene MacDonald, John Asiata, Edwin Ipape and Tom Amone all of which should be staying.

Interestingly, when looking through the operational rules regarding Non federation trained players, the wording for the SL rule of 7 seems to specifically apply to those named in a 21-man matchday squad and not the squad as a whole. Theoretically, you could carry additional NFT players providing 7 were named in any given 21-man squad.

image.png.e7c4c56fa28921d90c098cf16a3a2d1c.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

13 currently, but some will be quite easy decisions on departures. Inu, Hitchcox, Ioane and Hingano will be definite departures and Nakubuwai highly likely. The key retentions to make from the overseas players are Nene MacDonald, John Asiata, Edwin Ipape and Tom Amone all of which should be staying.

Interestingly, when looking through the operational rules regarding Non federation trained players, the wording for the SL rule of 7 seems to specifically apply to those named in a 21-man matchday squad and not the squad as a whole. Theoretically, you could carry additional NFT players providing 7 were named in any given 21-man squad.

Thanks for that Rob, as you say the wording of clause B1:16 doesn't suggest that any team can only carry a maximum number of NFT player's on its payroll only that 7 of them can appear in any match day squad of 21 player's.

The only thing I find confusing about that, is that one poster even having the wording put in front of him still finds it confusing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Think you may need to read that again.  The beginning of the sentence "A Super League Club's Register..."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go again .....

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for that Rob, as you say the wording of clause B1:16 doesn't suggest that any team can only carry a maximum number of NFT player's on its payroll only that 7 of them can appear in any match day squad of 21 player's.

The only thing I find confusing about that, is that one poster even having the wording put in front of him still finds it confusing.

What’s even more confusing is how you don’t know the difference between 3 emoji’s and how you try to justify your own clubs ridiculous amount of imports by insinuating Superleague clubs would do the same if rules allowed.

Like most on this thread I think Mellor is a decent halfback but being English I appreciate he might not be your cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Think you may need to read that again.  The beginning of the sentence "A Super League Club's Register..."

Yes Demon that does put a different slant on it, but if a SL club cannot have more than 7 FTA's on the register, then why say they can't have more than 7 FTA's in any matchday squad of 21 they simply will not have any more to field, even taking a FTA player on loan has to be on that club's register for the duration of the loan period, I would have thought

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

What’s even more confusing is how you don’t know the difference between 3 emoji’s and how you try to justify your own clubs ridiculous amount of imports by insinuating Superleague clubs would do the same if rules allowed.

Like most on this thread I think Mellor is a decent halfback but being English I appreciate he might not be your cup of tea.

All opinions on individual players Dav, I should imagine I have seen much more of Mellor over the last 2 seasons than you have, when his signing was first announced I thought OK let's see how he goes, as time has gone on and watching him very closely, I do not think he is of the quality to go into SL with should we get there.

On the other point, yes I do think a lot of SL teams would be looking overseas to bolster their squads if restrictions did not apply, I will stick by my statement that we do not produce enough "Top quality" players to satisfy the requirements of 12 SL clubs, it is no coincidence that the teams who have hoovered up all the best kids in this country who turn into the better player's we produce since SL was originated, barring Bradford's short period we only have 3 winners of the top gong, you are deluding yourself if you consider it to be any different.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes Demon that does put a different slant on it, but if a SL club cannot have more than 7 FTA's on the register, then why say they can't have more than 7 FTA's in any matchday squad of 21 they simply will not have any more to field, even taking a FTA player on loan has to be on that club's register for the duration of the loan period, I would have thought

If they bring one in on loan, they have to deregister one of the others.  Has been done before but can't remember who. Hull KR?

• Thanks 1

Here we go again .....

5 hours ago, DemonUK said:

If they bring one in on loan, they have to deregister one of the others.  Has been done before but can't remember who. Hull KR?

Is that NFT players or quota players. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2022 at 23:41, 17 stone giant said:

Oh, yes. Sorry, had a few Guinnesses and thought I was missing something more subtle. Makes sense now. Like the Arsenal sign Messi (Messy) pic. And the nice thing is that if I ever wanted to visit Leigh, I now know it's off the M6, which I didn't know before. I'd probably continue to either Birmingham or Wigan/Preston though.

Just get the train.....oh hang on

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Interesting if the word is true. 
How many definite “non fed” signed on for next season?

I believe we're currently on 6, so 1 spot to fill. Derek has confirmed it on twitter, it appears he let his son break the news on Instagram.

Ipape 

Lam

Ferguson

Asiata

Macdonald

Amone

• Like 2

Great re-signing, probably one of the best players I have ever seen at Leigh and has really bought into the club and not come for a holiday. I know Leigh and Derek are the butt of a lot of jokes on here but I do love reading the likes of Asiata, Ipape and Ferguson say how much they enjoy their rugby with Leigh, how much they are enjoying the game again and how well they get treated. It’s those reviews that help attract players to Leigh.

Edited by binosh

These are great signings for Leigh going forward to SL next year (assuming they win the GF). The big challenge will be filling out those other slots with quality federation trained players. Picking over the bones of Wakefield or Toulouse just isn't going to cut it. They will need some quality in that pack or the talent in the backline will be irrelevant.

I have said this many times on here, DB has taken an expensive risk by creating a side stacked with overseas players and, as a consequence, not eligible for SL. However, if it pays off, it is a lot easier to slim down a strong firing squad in the few weeks before SL 2023 than try and build one from scratch. Good luck to them.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I believe we're currently on 6, so 1 spot to fill. Derek has confirmed it on twitter, it appears he let his son break the news on Instagram.

Ipape 

Lam

Ferguson

Asiata

Macdonald

Amone

= Ferguson didn't have any worthwhile offers from NRL or Super League clubs so he signed on for Leigh again

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I have said this many times on here, DB has taken an expensive risk by creating a side stacked with overseas players and, as a consequence, not eligible for SL. However, if it pays off, it is a lot easier to slim down a strong firing squad in the few weeks before SL 2023 than try and build one from scratch. Good luck to them.

I think it would've been a much bigger risk not to stack the team with overseas for this year. This years strategy will mean should we be promoted, we'll be going up with the best 7 NFT's in Leighs history by some margin. It's easy to say Leigh should have signed more british players ready for SL, but the past couple of years with Covid and injuries seemingly more prevalent, SL teams have had to stock pile players in greater numbers than previous years and there isn't exactly a wealth of talent to be picked up at short notice that would've been any better than what we signed.

Thankfully DB's change in retention policy has enabled Lam and Chester to start recruitment much earlier than usual and we already seem to be picking up fed players for next year with Charnley the first officially confirmed and  Rob Mulhern/Jack Hughes/Matt Davis reportedly done deals. Obviously still need more but I imagine there are more signed but not announced yet until the conclusion of the season.

• Like 1