Sat 9th-Sun 10th Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 9th JULY
Cornwall v Doncaster KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)
London Skolars v Keighley Cougars KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes v North Wales Crusaders KO 17:30

SUNDAY 10th JULY
Hunslet v West Wales Raiders KO 15:00
Oldham v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00

22 minutes ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 9th JULY

SUNDAY 10th JULY

Cornwall 18-22 Doncaster

London Skolars 12-52 Keighley

Midlands Hurricanes 16-40 North Wales Crusaders

hunslet 28-6 West Wales Raiders

Oldham 12-38 Rochdale

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 9th JULY

SUNDAY 10th JULY

donny

skolars

NW

Hunslet

hornets

I think Midlands will be targeting our game. They played really well at Eirias Park but cought us on a winning streak. We've had a wobble and I'm hoping our win agains Skolars has got us back to winning ways - but we've come unstuck at Coventry befor and I'm sure the Hurricanes will have done their homework. I'll go for a Crusaders win - but I think it will be by less than 6 points.

Elsewhere..... Doncaster, Cougars and Hunslet

The Oldham v Rochdale derby is always a full-blooded affair and I'm going to go for Oldham by 2 points in a game that has less players on the pitch at the end than at the start!!

• Like 1

I'm a bit perplexed at the predictions of a narrow Dons win against Cornwall. These last few weeks we've really woken up and are playing with confidence. The return of Watson Boas has helped. Thankfully we're back in a position where we can pick from genuine depth now. If Connor Robinson is fit then we have a dilemma who to pick in the halves. I'd pick Johnston and Robinson everyday so Boas to FB? Taulapapa and Howe might have something to say about that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Did we ever clarify the rules on eligible medics when West Wales cancelled a game for the same reason?

I think the argument went that Llanelli is a remote place with few suitable doctors nearby but that excuse is not so easy to pull in the nation's capital. Presumably.

Not sure how robust our back-up plan is in the Midlands so not having a go at Skolars but we've never had to cancel a fixture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Did we ever clarify the rules on eligible medics when West Wales cancelled a game for the same reason?

I think the argument went that Llanelli is a remote place with few suitable doctors nearby but that excuse is not so easy to pull in the nation's capital. Presumably.

Not sure how robust our back-up plan is in the Midlands so not having a go at Skolars but we've never had to cancel a fixture.

From my understanding of the rules, it’s not that there is a lack of suitable doctors (fully registered with the GMC, be practicing, possess the appropriate professional indemnity insurance) in London or Llanelli it’s that the doctor must also have completed the RFL Immediate Medical Management On the Field of Play Course (IMMOFP).

As a fan i have seen Skolars normally have a main doctor & a back up for each game. No idea what has caused the problem this week which is a shame as was really looking forward to see Keighley who have looked the best team in the league from the clips i’ve seen.

Edited by dead man inc

Skolars club statement about cancelled game...

With Skolars’ regular Doctor unavailable and a number of other doctors used by the club in the past also unable to attend the game, after an extensive search, the club has been unable to find a suitable replacement, and, after consultation with the RFL they decided to cancel the BetFred League 1 game at New River, Skolars vs Keighley Cougars

“It’s been a unique situation this week,” explained Club Chairman Adrian Fraine. “Eid starts this weekend ruling out several Doctors we’ve used in the past and there’s also a huge demand this weekend in A&E Departments in London. We’ve tried a number of different agencies to find a doctor, without success with both those reasons cited as a factor for the lack of suitable agency doctors. Given the long journey faced by the Cougars we did not want to be in a position tomorrow where we had to cancel the game when they had already started that journey.”

“Having suffered a heavy defeat at Keighley earlier in the season, we wanted to give a good account of ourselves in the return game at home and show how much our young squad has improved in the last two month. It’s very disappointing to have to postpone the game, but we’ve exhausted every alternative to get the game played”

Tickets booked in advance will be valid for any re-arranged date for the game and refunds made to those spectators unable to attend all tickets bought on the Eventbrite website have already been refunded

21 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

Skolars club statement about cancelled game...

With Skolars’ regular Doctor unavailable and a number of other doctors used by the club in the past also unable to attend the game, after an extensive search, the club has been unable to find a suitable replacement, and, after consultation with the RFL they decided to cancel the BetFred League 1 game at New River, Skolars vs Keighley Cougars

“It’s been a unique situation this week,” explained Club Chairman Adrian Fraine. “Eid starts this weekend ruling out several Doctors we’ve used in the past and there’s also a huge demand this weekend in A&E Departments in London. We’ve tried a number of different agencies to find a doctor, without success with both those reasons cited as a factor for the lack of suitable agency doctors. Given the long journey faced by the Cougars we did not want to be in a position tomorrow where we had to cancel the game when they had already started that journey.”

“Having suffered a heavy defeat at Keighley earlier in the season, we wanted to give a good account of ourselves in the return game at home and show how much our young squad has improved in the last two month. It’s very disappointing to have to postpone the game, but we’ve exhausted every alternative to get the game played”

Tickets booked in advance will be valid for any re-arranged date for the game and refunds made to those spectators unable to attend all tickets bought on the Eventbrite website have already been refunded

Disgraceful. No apology to those supporters who booked travel and accommodation to support their team during these austere times.

The sport never fails to disappoint.

Also,when West Wales Raiders  for the second time,had a home game postponed,nay cancelled,it seems the RFL were kept informed and the RFL updated the opposition.( Last line in the below link )

A 48 -0 defeat may seem acceptable - but no surprise decent people find alternative ways to spend time and money.

48 -0 does not seem acceptable if part time players were not given up-to-the minute information about the possibility of no-game.

https://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1119/cancelled-|-west-wales-raiders-v-doncaster-rlfc#:~:text=We were due to travel,under Operational Rule B1%3A22.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

35 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

... Also,when West Wales Raiders  for the second time,had a home game postponed,nay cancelled,it seems the RFL were kept informed and the RFL updated the opposition.( Last line in the below link )

A 48 -0 defeat may seem acceptable - but no surprise decent people find alternative ways to spend time and money.

48 -0 does not seem acceptable if part time players were not given up-to-the minute information about the possibility of no-game.

I’m not defending Skolars, the bottom line is the buck stops with them & it is their responsibility to have medical cover in place.

However, I know for a fact that the opposition & the RFL were kept informed & updated as the situation progressed.

As i stated previous - Skolars need to be accountable for the game being cancelled, but reading between the lines i think very little support was given to them when they raised the problem & sought help to resolve it.

• Like 1

On the(happy) bus home from the Midlands Hurricanes game. Crusaders in control of the game for the majority of the time. Apart from a few hiccups it was a dominant display.

Thanks to Midlands Hurricanes for being generous hosts.

• Like 5

Crusaders were very good today. Hurricanes huffed and puffed but couldn't get going against Crusaders very good defence. Crusaders looked very fit and are a big side. Suspect they'll finish the season strongly. Despite the result was a nice day in the sun and a very good travelling support added to the atmosphere. Best fans in league 1, definitely 👏

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Very little to be said for Cornwall v Doncaster. A scrappy mess and a very low quality game. 

From what I saw (sat watching whilst working at home, and trying not to melt), Donny did enough, then shut off.

The red card incident must have been something pretty bad dissent wise.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

1 hour ago, robt said:

The red card incident must have been something pretty bad dissent wise.

Yeah, it must have been.

What ever he said it was loud enough for the ref to hear from about 30 yards away and worthy of a red card without any warning or discussion. None of his team complained at the card either.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Templegreen said:

I’m not defending Skolars, the bottom line is the buck stops with them & it is their responsibility to have medical cover in place.

However, I know for a fact that the opposition & the RFL were kept informed & updated as the situation progressed.

As i stated previous - Skolars need to be accountable for the game being cancelled, but reading between the lines i think very little support was given to them when they raised the problem & sought help to resolve it.

In the end, it's not good enough for a professional match to be called off like this, whatever has been going on in the background.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Bearman said:

Hurricanes were beaten by the much better team. Cru won at a canter. 

Safe home Cru.

Enjoy your night it was well earned.

Seen Crusaders twice this year & both times they looked very impressive. For the last 3 seasons at the games i have been at they have looked a very strong team.

Edited by dead man inc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

Seen Crusaders twice this year & both times they looked very impressive. For the last 3 seasons at the games i have been at they have looked a very strong team.

good job you didn't see one of the "wobble" games 🤣

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!