Widnes (A)

Wakefield Ram

Having reduced the losing margin against Halifax by 40 points between away and home games, hopefully another improved performance this week. Widnes seem to be very up and down and our record at Widnes is actually quite good, so who knows. One day we must come good. 

I remember late 70s (1978?) in the old 1st Division we were on a long losing run and had star-studded Leeds team at home and no one gave us a chance and we won 18-12.

We have to remain hopeful yet I feel that a loss this weekend, which is the most probable outcome, will actually condemn us to the drop. John Kear seems to have worked his magic again and engineered something of a turnaround in their form so we must hope that Liam has achieved something similar.

My heart says a win but my head says different.

Chemics 34 - 22 Rams

FTS Knowles.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, LeagueConvert said:

I think the wide pitch and the speed of the game will see a comprehensive defeat unfortunately. l hope l am wrong but l dont think so. l will be there though so will keep an update thread going

Going for a 38-12 defeat

Usually a lucky ground for us

So we will see

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

Attended today. Great effort and desire from every Rams player. Draw may have been a fair result. Widnes 10% slicker with ball in hand. Good signs going forward in respect of this current Rams group who look fitter as a collective unit. Understand LF has told certain players they need to get fitter in order to compete at the required levels. Fair enough. Widnes only as good as what they were allowed to be. This Rams group deserve better support to bolster their improvement efforts.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

On Friday, LF said they were doing more practice when players were fatigued to hone their skills.

Good stuff WR. I honestly felt sorry for the team at the end today. 27 degree heat (For both teams like) and they all put a shift in. They were visibly gutted on the hooter. However it’s coming. Let’s just stick together.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Attended today. Great effort and desire from every Rams player. Draw may have been a fair result. Widnes 10% slicker with ball in hand. Good signs going forward in respect of this current Rams group who look fitter as a collective unit. Understand LF has told certain players they need to get fitter in order to compete at the required levels. Fair enough. Widnes only as good as what they were allowed to be. This Rams group deserve better support to bolster their improvement efforts.

A couple of points. The Rams did a reasonable job but they were up against a Vikings side that created far more chances. Fitness levels are what they are...Widnes were quicker, stronger and faster than us. Not taking anything away from the boys but by no means did todays performance show anything special

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

A couple of points. The Rams did a reasonable job but they were up against a Vikings side that created far more chances. Fitness levels are what they are...Widnes were quicker, stronger and faster than us. Not taking anything away from the boys but by no means did todays performance show anything special

Respect your view as always. I agree the performance did not amount to anything special. However IMO the levels of desire and commitment have improved since LF came in. Fitness levels are what they are baffles me somewhat. Again IMO the better teams are usually the fitter teams. As I understand it LF has told certain players to get fitter or risk not being selected. That’s all I will say. I agree Widnes created more chances and bombed some. Quicker yes. Faster yes. Stronger not sure. It is my belief that this group will be harder to roll under LF. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Respect your view as always. I agree the performance did not amount to anything special. However IMO the levels of desire and commitment have improved since LF came in. Fitness levels are what they are baffles me somewhat. Again IMO the better teams are usually the fitter teams. As I understand it LF has told certain players to get fitter or risk not being selected. That’s all I will say. I agree Widnes created more chances and bombed some. Quicker yes. Faster yes. Stronger not sure. It is my belief that this group will be harder to roll underLF.

Didn't go but if Widnes were quicker, faster, stronger on a very hot day, then it shows the fight in the team to stay in the game until the hooter.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

All you ask is that the players give their all and you can’t dispute that yesterday. It was far from perfect but the improvement in this team in a few weeks is very evident.

whilst next week will be difficult a win isn’t far away in coming if the lads continue to get fitter and gain confidence that was ripped out of them under the previous regime. If only that change was made a couple of months earlier I’m pretty certain we’d be higher up the table. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Didn't go but if Widnes were quicker, faster, stronger on a very hot day, then it shows the fight in the team to stay in the game until the hooter.

Absolutely no doubting the effort put in yesterday at all. Definitely an improvement recent times. Widnes should have been 18-0 up at one stage but their errors kept us in the game. Once the lads started to believe it was clear to see the performance lift across the team. Confidence has been at very low point across the squad but under Finny may well be on the up. Lets see what happens against Leigh. First half at their place we were definitely in the game. Realistically not expecting a win but the scoreline should serve as a benchmark as to our improvement

• Like 2