Magic attendance

Just now, Jughead said:

There’s always loads of kids running about with Cramlington Rockets (other NE clubs too) gear and the number of Thunder shirts seemed to rise year on year. It’s growing in that part of the world, you won’t see thousands turn up just yet but in true Rugby League thinking, just as the game and Newcastle Thunder as a club are growing, people want it moved. 

I doubt they will ever turn up unless Newcastle make it to the Super League and even then I wouldn't put money on it.

17 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

I doubt they will ever turn up unless Newcastle make it to the Super League and even then I wouldn't put money on it.

They literally turn up now. The thing is, there isn’t thousands and thousands of fans and players because the game is in its infancy in the North East and taking away the one event they have (to take it god knows where - probably somewhere daft like Liverpool or Manchester knowing Rugby League) whilst the game is growing (and growing well) there would be lunacy. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lanzer98 said:

If every supporter would stay in the stadium it‘d be packed. I reslised that most fans stay for their team playing and leave afterwards. 3 games of 80min a day is probably too much for fans and neutrals. 9‘s would add Entertainment and Excitement and make sure people stay. 

with regard to the french TO13 had much more travelling Fans than Catalans.

I have been to a couple of MW’s and i have always watched all three games on the day i have attended. I find it crazy that people who can watch all three decide to just watch their side then leave.

I am in the minority but id sooner watch all three matches instead of getting plastered well before your team play, and then continue drinking whilst your side is playing. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, daz39 said:

There was about 50 less by the end of the Hull derby due to all the idiots chucked out for scrapping!!

I am always baffled why there are some fans who want to fight. It’d be good if they was caught on cctv and then the relevant clubs could ban them from attending games. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jughead said:

They literally turn up now. The thing is, there isn’t thousands and thousands of fans and players because the game is in its infancy in the North East and taking away the one event they have (to take it god knows where - probably somewhere daft like Liverpool or Manchester knowing Rugby League) whilst the game is growing (and growing well) there would be lunacy. 

So why do Newcastle get less than a 1000 people at their own home matches? 

10 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Would it be better to play 6 'on the road' games instead of a Magic Weekend?

London, Sheffield, Newcastle, W Midlands, Liverpool, Marseille could be used 

I don't think so, I don't think we'd get the crowds to pull it off.

However I would prefer to see the concept changed or done away with to have more bigger and directed events throughout the season.

Toulouse v Catalans is made for going big in France. Its daft either team playing at Magic.

I think some sort of Yorkshire double header event would go down well at Elland Road with Leeds, Cas, Wakefield and Huddersfield. Similar for West of the Pennines at the City of Manchester with Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Salford. There's probably little point taking the Hull derby outside of Hull unless the fans want it.

All would sell cumulatively far better than the crowds we see for Magic. Magic is just a flawed concept, that doesn't know what it is trying to be. At the moment all it sees is mainly RL fans travelling from the heartlands anyway to watch their team somewhere else and achieving a smaller cumulative crowd than we would normally see for the same fixtures.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think so, I don't think we'd get the crowds to pull it off.

However I would prefer to see the concept changed or done away with to have more bigger and directed events throughout the season.

Toulouse v Catalans is made for going big in France. Its daft either team playing at Magic.

I think some sort of Yorkshire double header event would go down well at Elland Road with Leeds, Cas, Wakefield and Huddersfield. Similar for West of the Pennines at the City of Manchester with Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Salford. There's probably little point taking the Hull derby outside of Hull unless the fans want it.

All would sell cumulatively far better than the crowds we see for Magic. Magic is just a flawed concept, that doesn't know what it is trying to be. At the moment all it sees is mainly RL fans travelling from the heartlands anyway to watch their team somewhere else and achieving a smaller cumulative crowd than we would normally see for the same fixtures.

If Magic “doesn’t know what it is”, can I ask what four teams each playing in Leeds and Manchester, respectively, is?

The magic weekend is a ' cup final ' event for the 8/9/10 teams that every year don't get a cup final , so it gives the fans of every team a day out , it also then is a TV event for SKY , cheap set up for 16/17 hours of content in the summer when they don't have much else on 

It achieves both these things , only argument for getting rid is the unbalancing effect it has on the season , something we already accept with loop fixtures , so it's doing ok , it's not broken , so don't try to fix it 

• Like 10

If you look at the media and social media, it is clear that the sport gets a boost in profile over Magic and it is nice that we have an occasion unique to our sport.

Any additional events that we develop (and we should) should be as well as Magic rather than instead of.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Jughead said:

And the point of those is? I just can’t see much, if any, variation between Magic or two venues hosting four games. 

If the goal is being able to slap ourselves on the back and say oh look we can have a big crowd in a big stadium then it ticks those boxes better than Magic. It would be fuller and look better. I'm not sure the goal of Magic has been anymore than that for a long time.

2 double headers, a big Hull Derby and a big French Derby and a 100k round wouldn't be out of the question. 80k would easily be achievable.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

It was. Now people tell themselves the opposite to justify the crowds. Magic is a stale format and other sports manage just fine with promoting their game without the same weekend.

As for the comments about French fans? What are people expecting here? There are no direct flights and a train would a be pain.

That we need to increase our fan base outside the heartlands and inside it is without doubt. We also need to do the same with the player base and sponsors. How we do it is the debate.

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The magic weekend is a ' cup final ' event for the 8/9/10 teams that every year don't get a cup final , so it gives the fans of every team a day out , it also then is a TV event for SKY , cheap set up for 16/17 hours of content in the summer when they don't have much else on 

It achieves both these things , only argument for getting rid is the unbalancing effect it has on the season , something we already accept with loop fixtures , so it's doing ok , it's not broken , so don't try to fix it 

Agree, keep it and keep improving it. Increase awareness and find ways to make it easier for people to attend. Could there be more coach trips or rugby specials from say Leeds or York? Now we are back in mid-summer, how could we make accommodation more affordable?  A Magic Weekend campsite near Tynemouth or Whitley Bay? 

I don't really know but there must be a way to eke out another 5,000 or 10,000.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

46 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agree, keep it and keep improving it. Increase awareness and find ways to make it easier for people to attend. Could there be more coach trips or rugby specials from say Leeds or York? Now we are back in mid-summer, how could we make accommodation more affordable?  A Magic Weekend campsite near Tynemouth or Whitley Bay? 

I don't really know but there must be a way to eke out another 5,000 or 10,000.

A magic weekend festival style campsite would be superb. Obviously it’s way too out of the box for the RFL to consider though. 

• Like 1

Get……more……neutrals.   That’s it.  Keep it in Newcastle as it’s an excellent city for a “party” weekend (still recovering this morning) for the as-is fans, but start to promote the thing for next year NOW with the Newcastle public.

15 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Could possibly get a few more speccies if the RFL didn’t put Championship and League one games as well as a full NCL programme on the same weekend 

So true.... Defo with the community game. 

Also a bank hol would help entice fans, aswell as affordable accomodation. 

Some very simple changes could make the difference, also ticket prices could be a bit cheaper for the good seats

Edited by Limmertime
  • Confused 1