Magic attendance

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Must admit I thoroughly recommend the 1892 Club on that front, albeit obviously more expensive than elsewhere. Huge, spacious padded seats and bar staff falling over each other to serve you. We sat there for 2017 just in case we never got to play there again(!) and it's the first time I've been served so quickly that I've been able to squeeze in two pints at half-time!

Did the 1892 Club last year and can back this up. Very good experience. 

• Like 1

I've only been to one magic weekend and that was the one in Manchester. I didn't really like it. It's embarrasing that we can't fill a football ground with three matches on! Seemed like most supporters whatched their team then left. Poor atmosphere in a partially filled stadium. Similallry I've stopped going to Wembley. Part filled stadium for one of our biggest games, poor views from the low seats and too far away in the upper seats. I'd have like to have gone to the Tottenham final this year but couldn't make it. The GF at Old Trafford is, on the other hand brilliant.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Self fulfilling prophecy.

You can't blame the customer for thinking an event is naff/small time/not as good as it used to be.

RL fans are supporters, not radical blind faith religious fanatics.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

You can't blame the customer for thinking an event is naff/small time/not as good as it used to be.

RL fans are supporters, not radical blind faith religious fanatics.

Agree to a certain degree, but if RL fans themselves are not fanatics for RL then we’re surely screwed right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike North Wales said:

I've only been to one magic weekend and that was the one in Manchester. I didn't really like it. It's embarrasing that we can't fill a football ground with three matches on! Seemed like most supporters whatched their team then left. Poor atmosphere in a partially filled stadium. Similallry I've stopped going to Wembley. Part filled stadium for one of our biggest games, poor views from the low seats and too far away in the upper seats. I'd have like to have gone to the Tottenham final this year but couldn't make it. The GF at Old Trafford is, on the other hand brilliant.

Is the idea to actually fill the stadium though or as has been alluded to, is it to be able to offer unreserved seating to vast amounts of people who attend and make it a more enjoyable experience for them?

One of the benefits of this approach, as we did on Sunday was to stand with our fans behind the goals but then move round to the side in the shade with less people around us, until some absolute loons from Hull KR came along and almost spoiled it for us.

If we were to fill it with reserved seats then I probably wouldn't bother as I don't want to sit in the same seat for 7 hours.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wouldn't think it's anywhere near that when considering the top tier is shut (although presumably ready for business if necessary)

I believe the lower bowl of St James is around 38k seats excluding level 7 of the Leazes and Milburn stands which are not opened for Magic weekend.

I don’t think the actual number of people in the stands at one time gets above around 26k on the Saturday and maybe 18k on the Sunday.

if all 36,821 were in at once on Saturday the lower bowl would have looked full.  

Agree with the points around flexibility.  One of the things my son loves about Magic weekend is you can move around the ground and sit different places.  Compared to watching Newcastle United where you need to stick to your seat.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

You ever met anyone who has gone to Birmingham for a leisure trip?

I went on a lads drinking weekend once actually, must have been in the early 2000s. It’s not somewhere I’d take my wife and kids on holiday though. 

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2022 at 11:13, Mike North Wales said:

I bet your local pub landlord loves you- you will walk in for a drink but if every seat isn't taken you will just walk out again......

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

You ever met anyone who has gone to Birmingham for a leisure trip?

Yes I have and I've had nights out in the city centre there a few times too. Mainly on and off Broad Street. Really enjoyed myself. I don't know if I'd risk it in Leeds though.

20 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I bet your local pub landlord loves you- you will walk in for a drink but if every seat isn't taken you will just walk out again......

And if every seat IS taken , he'll complain about not being able to sit down , and walk out again 😉

• Haha 1