Women's Football Euro's 2022

6 hours ago, clogdance said:

If only Rugby League received 20% of the coverage that this thing is receiving  right now on the BBC & Sky Sports websites, that would be pretty decent.  🙄

We probably will, when our actual World Cup starts - at least on the BBC. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clogdance said:

If only Rugby League received 20% of the coverage that this thing is receiving  right now on the BBC & Sky Sports websites, that would be pretty decent.  🙄

If only Rugby League in this country wasn’t a regional game with very little International competition we might do.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

We probably will, when our actual World Cup starts - at least on the BBC. 

We'll do pretty well as most of the games are in and around the BBC Breakfast studio and they normally like giving us coverage.

All games being on the BBC is good - and we have the wheelchair tournament too, which will be a whole new sport for a lot of people.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We'll do pretty well as most of the games are in and around the BBC Breakfast studio and they normally like giving us coverage.

Which ones are in the BBC Breakfast studio? Probably a larger playing surface than Old Trafford.

• Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Which ones are in the BBC Breakfast studio?

Oi.

You.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, clogdance said:

Of all the things you could pick out that get huge amounts of coverage in sport, you looked at women's football and thought now there's a sport that gets a lot of coverage? It's been a long time coming and i'm sure if international RL was even 20% as organised as women's football it might have a chance. 

• Like 1

We are probably seeing more of it in Leigh than most places, there are advertising bunting up all around the place, the Town Hall square has been cordoned off with all manner of attractions, the town centre has been closed to traffic and there must be a 100 stewards even away from the ground itself, and the roads leading to the stadium (town side) have had barriers and traffic lights put on them making them one way systems, this is going to be repeated for all four of the Women's Euro's to be held at the LSV.

I doubt any of this will take place when the 3 RLWC games are at the same venue.

And for all those with the juvenile attitude or wit of a stone - especially you Frisky - it has been chosen even with the lack of a Railway Station, albeit I live in Leigh and have two railway stations within 3 miles and another the other side of town 4 miles from the border. 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We are probably seeing more of it in Leigh than most places, there are advertising bunting up all around the place, the Town Hall square has been cordoned off with all manner of attractions, the town centre has been closed to traffic and there must be a 100 stewards even away from the ground itself, and the roads leading to the stadium (town side) have had barriers and traffic lights put on them making them one way systems, this is going to be repeated for all four of the Women's Euro's to be held at the LSV.

I doubt any of this will take place when the 3 RLWC games are at the same venue.

And for all those with the juvenile attitude or wit of a stone - especially you Frisky - it has been chosen even with the lack of a Railway Station, albeit I live in Leigh and have two railway stations within 3 miles and another the other side of town 4 miles from the border. 

Why do you think that won't happen for the RLWC?

It happened in Warrington last time, and it certainly happened when I went to Workington for games there. Maybe not the traffic point, which seems way over the top for a stadium that regularly hosts sporting events, but fanzones, promotion and visible presence in the town should absolutely be part of Leigh/Wigan's bid.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

All games being on the BBC is good - and we have the wheelchair tournament too, which will be a whole new sport for a lot of people.

IT will be interesting to see the % of RL games on main channels, I have been a touch surprised at some of the women's games that have been shown on main channels. I do think one of the things that helps is that I think in summer broadcasters are maybe more open to clearing schedules. This isn't peak viewing season - whereas there is a lot of competition for schedules in Winter.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It happened in Warrington last time, and it certainly happened when I went to Workington for games there. Maybe not the traffic point, which seems way over the top for a stadium that regularly hosts sporting events, but fanzones, promotion and visible presence in the town should absolutely be part of Leigh/Wigan's bid.

I went to the quarter final in Warrington (and Wigan for that matter). I honestly don't recall seeing any of this at either, and that is being in the town centre pre and post match and walking to the ground at both.

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I went to the quarter final in Warrington (and Wigan for that matter). I honestly don't recall seeing any of this at either, and that is being in the town centre pre and post match and walking to the ground at both.

Yeah, there was branding round key areas of the town, they created fan routes from hubs like the rail stations to the ground. On matchday the 13 Squad or whatever they were called had huge presence in town as ambassadors, there was varying levels of fanzones and activities etc. 

There were an awful lot of events around Warrington in the lead up and around the World Cup games themselves. 

There was no doubts that Warrington and Workington were RLWC hosts. 

Other places I went to I generally drove straight in and out so have no experience around that, including Wigan and Leeds. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, there was branding round key areas of the town, they created fan routes from hubs like the rail stations to the ground. On matchday the 13 Squad or whatever they were called had huge presence in town as ambassadors, there was varying levels of fanzones and activities etc. 

There were an awful lot of events around Warrington in the lead up and around the World Cup games themselves. 

Other places I went to I generally drove straight in and out so have no experience around that, including Wigan and Leeds. 

I got the train and there was nothing at all at Warrington and nothing walking from the train station to the ground. Around the ground nothing at all either, bar one man selling world cup jerseys from the back of a trailer. Did you go to the quarter final? This had to be game specific because there was definitely none of what you list.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I got the train and there was nothing at all at Warrington and nothing walking from the train station to the ground. Around the ground nothing at all either, bar one man selling world cup jerseys from the back of a trailer. Did you go to the quarter final? This had to be game specific because there was definitely none of what you list.

I went to both at Wire yeah. Maybe they went all out for the group game, I can't recall what I did for the QF. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Wait until you the videos of the Dutch fan march tomorrow and it will all make sense...😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

IT will be interesting to see the % of RL games on main channels, I have been a touch surprised at some of the women's games that have been shown on main channels. I do think one of the things that helps is that I think in summer broadcasters are maybe more open to clearing schedules. This isn't peak viewing season - whereas there is a lot of competition for schedules in Winter.

I remember when the coverage was first announced the BBC said they would put 16 men's games on the main channels so that's 50% of them. I don't recall them saying how many of the other tournaments' games though. 

Another set of numbers that we should probably start thinking about how we will compare:

Bild

England's RLWC semi final in 2013 drew 2.9m.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm with Dave on this.  You couldn't fail to see lots of stuff about the World Cup in and around Market Gate and Golden Square in the months leading up to it.  

When the tournament started the Samoan team visited schools - I remember seeing kids from St James' in Latchford doing the Siva Tau for them on YouTube - and as a result got a lot of support in their game against the Kiwis (which I didn't attend) and the Quarter Final which I did.

• Thanks 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

9 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

I'm with Dave on this.  You couldn't fail to see lots of stuff about the World Cup in and around Market Gate and Golden Square in the months leading up to it.  

When the tournament started the Samoan team visited schools - I remember seeing kids from St James' in Latchford doing the Siva Tau for them on YouTube - and as a result got a lot of support in their game against the Kiwis (which I didn't attend) and the Quarter Final which I did.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't going mad, obviously it's 9 years ago and I've slept since then and not much can be found online! 

But I lived in Edinburgh at the time so when I came home around that time, including for those games, I was impressed with the efforts. It was clear Warrington was a host town (and as I say, I was impressed with my trip to Workington). 

There was a reason these games had big crowds (relatively speaking) and a lot of it was because of the efforts within the communities of the host towns. 

Edited by Dave T

Eastenders has an average viewing figure of "well?" millions! its on 3 or 4 times a week -  I dont watch it but some people choose to- I dont watch womens football either for the same reason I dont watch eastenders - because I find it as entertaining as clog  dancing on ice  - but some people must like it so good luck to them - there are enough alternatives out there nowadays not to be bothered by it 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

47 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

I was referring to what was on game day. This wasn't a discussion about what kids were doing for months before at school. What you say was indeed going on everywhere, that certainly wasn't just a Warrington thing.

Makes you wonder about who will do the RLWC presentation: presenters, commentators and pundits etc. They couldn’t all be screened with the usual Chapman/Woods/Nobby/Jiffy, could they? Maybe Clare Balding will get involved?

Edited by Man of Kent

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was referring to what was on game day. This wasn't a discussion about what kids were doing for months before at school. What you say was indeed going on everywhere, that certainly wasn't just a Warrington thing.

I get that Damien, although I think the publicity in the build up is much more important in raising awareness of the event, selling tickets etc than whether nothing was going on over a few hundred yards of Winwick Road from the station to the ground on game day.

It's nine years ago now, and my memory could be faulty, but I remember there being plenty going on in town centre on the day of the QF.

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Another set of numbers that we should probably start thinking about how we will compare:

Bild

England's RLWC semi final in 2013 drew 2.9m.

Womans football is the in thing at the moment- despite the general poor quality and awful goalkeeping  - saying that I think Women's RL and Cricket is great to watch but their football quality isn't great.

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Like 1