New RFL President

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's all in the annual report and on the website and on other newspapers' websites and pretty much anywhere one would care to google.

Dude, can't you do the work for him?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It mirrors so much of modern life, in that some people would far rather be angry than informed.

To be fair I don’t think anyone is angry in this instance. That link gives a bland explanation of the role but nothing about what anyone has actually done, and people are asking the latter. 

4 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Dude, can't you do the work for him?

Ordinarily, I'd provide a link or two if they aren't easy to find but, y'know, there is actually an embarrassingly large amount of stuff out there - a lot of it covered *on here*.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Even if it’s someone who’s well known or has a big profile  talking about rugby league and giving it a bit of PR outside our bubble then that’s something . I don’t think it’s a big issue to bother about tbh . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think thats a good move, after Balding having someone inside the Palace of Westminster could be very interesting, especially post world cup and when the RFL may want a little bit of influence in places... who knows, a little word in people's ears as someone who is a well respected parliamentarian could be useful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

dweeb to ****tter 

I thought I knew all the swear words.

dweeb to what now?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is he well respected? I'm trying to separate my thoughts on him as a Speaker in evaluating the appointment.

My impression is of a slightly cartoonish professional northerner who is regularly used as a doormat in the Commons. On the other hand he has a prestigious role, is well known and has genuinely championed RL for many years.

On balance I cannot argue with the appointment but given he has openly supported RL for many years already I'm not sure him wearing a new chain around his neck will make much of a difference. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Just because previous RFL Presidents have not been active posters on here, it does not mean they've done nothing. Tony Adams helped players with addiction problems. Tony Smith had him in at Warrington to talk to his players.  You can find out more  on the BBC website. 

They got banned from the cross code forum though 😀

59 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Is he well respected? I'm trying to separate my thoughts on him as a Speaker in evaluating the appointment.

My impression is of a slightly cartoonish professional northerner who is regularly used as a doormat in the Commons. On the other hand he has a prestigious role, is well known and has genuinely championed RL for many years.

On balance I cannot argue with the appointment but given he has openly supported RL for many years already I'm not sure him wearing a new chain around his neck will make much of a difference. 

He means well, but is remarkably ineffective most of the time as speaker, like a supply teacher trying to control a rowdy classroom.

Or, for older TRLers, like Mr Barrowclough in Porridge.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Just be thankful it's not Nadine Dorries......

I dunno she gets headlines... or is that headlice shes never really made it clear..

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 1