Sun 17th Jul: SL: Salford Red Devils v Catalans Dragons KO 15:00

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/07/22 at 14:30

11 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

More than matched Catalans in the middle with 2 of our 3 best props missing. Best defensive performance I've seen from a SRD side.

On a more worrying note, Sam Tomkins cannot start at fullback for England. His running threat looked completely gone and he looked a shadow of last seasons' player.

Yeah about that... We played without Napa, Dudson, Mcilorum, Garcia and McMeeken plus Whitley went out after 10m. 

So yeah your pack went better than ours but that was expected me thinks.

Tomkins is not having a great year I agree. Very few shining lights for us. Were in the upper half of the ladder and so far weve been very disappointing.

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

on Tomkins, one bad game can't define his season or the England side - isn't he 2nd in the current MOS points?

I completely agree, but I'm not judging him purely off today. Having watched him plenty of times this season his acceleration and running power just doesn't seem there. 

Also, he's currently 30th in MoS points with just 6. I'm not arguing MoS points reflect a players performances but I do think it is indicative of his drop-off this season.

I don't want to derail the thread (especially given Salford's performance) but Tomkins, alongside the rest of the Catalans spine, were dreadful today.

1 minute ago, Hvy wg said:

Yeah about that... We played without Napa, Dudson, Mcilorum, Garcia and McMeeken plus Whitley went out after 10m. 

So yeah your pack went better than ours but that was expected me thinks.

Tomkins is not having a great year I agree. Very few shining lights for us. Were in the upper half of the ladder and so far weve been very disappointing.

That is true but you also had Bousquet and Kasiano back whilst we were without King & Dupree (2 of our best 3 props) and 2 of our best 3 back rowers in Livett & Wright. 

I think most Salford fans feared the worse when both 17s were announced given your strength in depth but you completely lost the energy battle imo.

6 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

That is true but you also had Bousquet and Kasiano back whilst we were without King & Dupree (2 of our best 3 props) and 2 of our best 3 back rowers in Livett & Wright. 

I think most Salford fans feared the worse when both 17s were announced given your strength in depth but you completely lost the energy battle imo.

They were dead on their feet. Completely miserable and have been for a few weeks.

One very happy SRD fan in Crete tonight.

I shall raise a glass of whisky to the team later.😊😊😊

• Like 4

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Tomkins is a grub, he shouldn't be anywhere near the GB side.

Salford defended magnificently especially in the 2nd half.

There are a number of decisions I'd certainly like to see again. 

I can't praise Salford highly enough in the conditions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

One very happy SRD fan in Crete tonight.

I shall raise a glass of whisky to the team later.😊😊😊

Same here Tony. That special edition Loch Lomond Salford whisky is being extracted again tonight. I will museon a response for tomorrow, if I don't melt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Tomkins is a grub, he shouldn't be anywhere near the GB side.

Salford defended magnificently especially in the 2nd half.

There are a number of decisions I'd certainly like to see again. 

I can't praise Salford highly enough in the conditions.

Is this an old post from 2019?? - GB side??? 🤔🤔- so the reigning MOS and England captin who plays for a top 3 SL side shouldnt be anywhere near the Great Britain side?? what are you talking about?

Do you think he should play for England then?

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is this an old post from 2019?? - GB side??? 🤔🤔- so the reigning MOS and England captin who plays for a top 3 SL side shouldnt be anywhere near the Great Britain side?? what are you talking about?

Do you think he should play for England then?

I presume that the poster was commenting about Sam Tomkins in today’s game in which Sam didn’t play very well and some of his tactics will hopefully be looked at by the disciplinary next week as some of his actions looked awful from where I was sat.

Sam Tomkins doesn’t need to act as he did today throughout the game and off today’s performance shouldn’t be anywhere near the England team.

10 minutes ago, WSRD said:

I presume that the poster was commenting about Sam Tomkins in today’s game in which Sam didn’t play very well and some of his tactics will hopefully be looked at by the disciplinary next week as some of his actions looked awful from where I was sat.

Sam Tomkins doesn’t need to act as he did today throughout the game and off today’s performance shouldn’t be anywhere near the England team.

I'm more shocked at a RL fan referring to the National Team as GB in a WC year...... shows we have a lot of work todo if supposed RL fans don't even know which national team is playing at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, WSRD said:

Sam Tomkins has been acting as he did today for 15 years.... he's just not a very likeable little 💩😁. People would forgive him that in a GB/England shirt because he was the best FB we had... however he's nowhere near the player he once was so for me he shouldn't be in the England team for the WC.

Great effort from our lads today. I have no sympathy for Catalans missing a few (Napa is a useless lump from what I've seen btw so not a great loss) as we've been churning out a similar 17/19 players now for weeks on end and our squad is as decimated as pretty much anyone else's.

The way we defended those 6/7 consecutive sets at the start of the 2nd half was phenomenal and seeing Kasiano chopped in half by the likes of little Chris Atkin kind of makes you scratch your head at how we conceded so many soft tries last weekend at Magic. 

Toulouse won't be easy next week but I've got every faith in this bunch of players to go over there and do a job. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'm more shocked at a RL fan referring to the National Team as GB in a WC year...... shows we have a lot of work todo if supposed RL fans don't even know which national team is playing at the end of the season.

I am more surprised that you think a mistype is more important than a player taking out another late on more than one occasion but hey each to there own.

• Haha 1

Phew! That was a blinder! 

The Sun felt like is was beaming from the end of the road, it feels so close. Add the crushing humidity and erm the whiffing tang of the Ship Canal et al, then this felt a bit surreal at times as a Rugby League game.  I felt the first 20 minutes were played in slow motion. 

After that the might of Catalan's physical enormity melted in the heat. They looked fatigued after 50 minutes.

But it was as much Salford as well as the Heat that drained Les Dragons.

That astonishing defence of six or seven sets and then the Reds' trade mark fast paced attack did it for the Catalans.

Again it was less a misfiring opposition, but more the tact and endeavour of SRD that won this game. Rowleyball was tactically astute. More praise should come our way. Especially given the limited resources. 

As for Sam Tomkins. Yeah the old grub lives on.

SRD played a friendly at Rochdale and Sam was there to watch his brother Logan play his debut.

Some of the travelling younger Reds got into some cheeky banter with yer man and Sam took it well. So much that it felt like it was him not Logan playing for SRD. Left me thinking he aint that bad a fella so why is he such a grub?  Plus only RL (and cycling) can you be stood next to one of the Game's "Legends" queuing for a coffee.

He should have done 10 for that Taylor challenge. Nothing more in my opinion. It wouldn't have altered the result. It would have added some pantomime bad boyism to the day though. 

That is Win Eight this season and another eight games to go. The form is five in eight. Two more wins and I think relegation can be ruled out. After that everything is a bonus.

The crowd was understandably lower than might have been expected. Lots of older boys were understandably missing it seemed. Can you blame them? Hopefully we will see them return plus many more.

Blazing hot Sun. Blazing hot Salford!!!

🌻 Scorhio!!!✌️😄     

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Well said Haggisman.  Succinct.

@Manfred Mann often comments `What do Salford bring to Rugby League`.

Well the simple answer is `An annihilation of Catalan Dragons`

Here are the highlights supplied by the French outfit.

Dragons Catalans › News › 2022 › July › Highlights - Salford vs Catalans Dragons

Ah Manfred Mann? I bet really his name is Jack.

He is from London, so I imagine when he came to Salford, he was blinded by the light!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Ah Manfred Mann? I bet really his name is Jack.

He is from London, so I imagine when he came to Salford, he was blinded by the light!

Very good, Haggis!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.