Grounds worth visiting?

After enjoying Magic weekend I’m looking into potentially attending some live Super League games this season and/or next season.  I can’t make the Grand final this year but going to look into Challenge Cup/Grand Finals in 2023 too.

My Q is which Super League grounds are best to visit?

The only one I’ve been to is Wigan and that was for Premier League football years ago.  I thought the stadium was as soulless as the adjacent out of town shopping park but there you go…

Ruling out trips to France - which of the 10 English grounds are worth a trip?

There seems to be a mix of more modern stadia (including shared use as football grounds) along with some more traditional grounds.  I don’t particularly have a preference and don’t support a particular team.  

Any comments would be welcome - including quality of the playing surface/facilities/parking etc. 

• Like 4

Super League grounds ranked for atmosphere (totally subjective and obviously depends on the teams playing - this is as a Leeds fan and it may not be coincidence that the away ground of our biggest derby opponents comes top).

The Jungle

Gilbert Brutus

Headingley

Halliwell Jones

New Craven Park

KC Stadium

Belle Vue

TWicked

DW Stadium

John Smith's Stadium

AJ Bell

(not yet been to Ernest Wallon)

• Like 1

Pick games rather than stadiums, that way you get a decent game, good atmosphere and get to see stadiums you’d want to. With that in mind (or vice versa); Saints v Wigan, Saints v Warrington, Hull KR v Hull FC and Cas v Leeds. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 2

Consider games outside SL as well. Some cracking stadiums in the lower leagues, and great clubs as well. 

• Like 3

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

32 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Pick games rather than stadiums, that way you get a decent game, good atmosphere and get to see stadiums you’d want to. With that in mind (or vice versa); Saints v Wigan, Saints v Warrington, Hull KR v Hull FC and Cas v Leeds. 

This is a good shout. It's often the game that makes the occasion and atmosphere. Some don't seem to like the DW but pick a Wigan v Saints game and a 25k crowd and its a fantastic atmosphere. A 12k crowd less so. Much the same applies to all grounds. There's probably 3 grounds that I would rule out if I was doing something like this because either the atmosphere will be lacking no matter what and/or the facilities are very poor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

After enjoying Magic weekend I’m looking into potentially attending some live Super League games this season and/or next season.  I can’t make the Grand final this year but going to look into Challenge Cup/Grand Finals in 2023 too.

The only one I’ve been to is Wigan and that was for Premier League football years ago.  I thought the stadium was as soulless as the adjacent out of town shopping park but there you go…

There seems to be a mix of more modern stadia (including shared use as football grounds) along with some more traditional grounds.  I don’t particularly have a preference and don’t support a particular team.  

Any comments would be welcome - including quality of the playing surface/facilities/parking etc. 

Was Magic Weekend your first time watching live RL? 

As others have said if you pick a good game then you can't go wrong.

I'd also suggest England vs Samoa in the WC which is being played in Newcastle and maybe a Newcastle Thunder game if you get chance 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, M j M said:

Super League grounds ranked for atmosphere (totally subjective and obviously depends on the teams playing - this is as a Leeds fan and it may not be coincidence that the away ground of our biggest derby opponents comes top).

The Jungle

Gilbert Brutus

Headingley

Halliwell Jones

New Craven Park

KC Stadium

Belle Vue

TWicked

DW Stadium

John Smith's Stadium

AJ Bell

(not yet been to Ernest Wallon)

Nor the LSV or POR?, he did say this season or next?

• Like 2

I agree with others that have said go to a derby. I'm obviously gonna be swayed a certain way given I'm a Hull fan but I would suggest get yourself down to the Hull derby at the MKM at the start of September. Myself and 20,000 others will be there.

Hull put the tickets on sale yesterday, you can get them easily on the Hull website and get them as an eticket on your phone or sent in the post no problem.

If you decide to go and want to meet up before and/or after the game just send me a message mate! 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Was Magic Weekend your first time watching live RL? 

As others have said if you pick a good game then you can't go wrong.

I'd also suggest England vs Samoa in the WC which is being played in Newcastle and maybe a Newcastle Thunder game if you get chance 

I’ve been to 3 of the Magic weekends in Newcastle and have tickets to a couple of the World Cup matches.

• Like 2

I would agree that to enjoy the game and the atmosphere it's probably best to go to a derby game as a neutral.

If you support one side the experience is very much tainted by the result and it's difficult to appreciate good play from the opposition at the time. 

Back in the 90s, I went to Tynecastle, Edinburgh to watch Bradford v London and to Cardiff Arms Park to watch Warrington v Castleford (perhaps I wasn't quite neutral for that one 😉 )

Despite their rarity, Internationals in full stadia are also great occasions. 

as someone who started out like you, a neutral, and has been to many of the grounds before ending up a Trin fan, I cannot say to you strongly enough that you need to pick a big game (maybe v Leeds) at Cas and get yourself down to Wheldon Road. When it's full and Cas are on song, it's hands down the best atmosphere in the sport. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Number 16 said:

All grounds can lack atmosphere depending on the game. 

I'd say pick a derby and go to that. Even Cas v Wakey, both clubs who play in antiquated tips, can be money well spent 

Wheldon Lane: Citadel of the Gods.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

12 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

If your jabs are up to date, Cas is worth a visit.  Always a good atmosphere, probably the best in RL.

Just don't visit the bogs.

Ive been to most grounds in SL - just haven't got to France yet!

I think everyone has something going for it but it is really dependent on the game like others have said.

The Jungle is objectively an absolute dump, yet on a Summers evening with a big crowd the atmosphere is electric.

Belle Vue is again an absolute hole, but Ive seen some great games there with a great atmosphere and being pretty much on top of the pitch its quite unique (and scary if there's a big hit right infront of you)

I think (and I'm probably 1005 Biased here) that Headingley is the 'best' ground in SL I think it's a perfect example of how to modernise an old stadium - I know it could do with a roof on the away end but IMO that's why its kept some of its old charm.

Warrington/Saints I find a bit Meh and boring but again get a good game because of the size it can be fantastic.

Wigan - I really like Wigans stadium, great atmosphere again - if there's a decent crowd in!

Hudds - Brilliant stadium can't quite believe its as old as it is now

Hull FC - again a fabulous stadium

Hull KR - love going there, traditional and quirky but modernised.

Salford - I'm going against the grain here - I actually really like AJ Bell

• Like 2

Cas is ok if you don't mind lots of swearing, by men, women and children, including plenty of the C and F word, and that's just in the chanting as well as doses of Racism, Homophobia and just general bad language, apart from that it's a decent atmosphere when they're winning - when not it's like every other ground, lot's of booing and swearing at the referee.

Ultimately the best one of the lot is Catalans stade Gilbert Brutus, on a nice day and them on top it's a sight and a sound to behold and their fans are absolutely superb win or lose.

Edited by daz39

36 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Belle Vue is again an absolute hole, but Ive seen some great games there with a great atmosphere and being pretty much beneath the pitch its quite unique (and scary if there's a big hit right above you)

free of charge, depending on where you are in the ground. I think it's because of a misunderstanding when they built the ground and the directors said they'd like Trinity to be a team people would look up to....

in Super League  Cas and Leeds are the best for me

outside SL Keighley has great views and atmosphere (horrible slopey pitch though), Featherstone also good atmosphere and worth a visit.

I believe there are some clubs in Lancashire too but i wouldn't bother with them if I were you. Maybe Warrington for a big game.

• Like 1

My Take on them all.

Cas - see above

Catalans - see above

Hull FC - bit of a library if they aren't winning and the occasional old faithful and anti-rovers song if they are, easy to get to but a pretty soulless modern bowl.

Hull KR - Boooooooooooooooo, that's all we ever hear from them when we go, and when they've stopped booing they want to fight with you and each other, strange people really, decent ground and matchday experience though now.

Huddersfield - Soulless, horrible, massive blue and white elephant for us, dislike the place, although there are plans in place to try and improve the matchday experience - obviously i'm commenting as a home fan rather than a visitor.

Leeds - bit of a nightmare to get to and from, crumbling low, open terraacing with no chance of seeing the big screen, another one where booing is more prevelant than support these days, and a band that play 4 songs on a loop usually to themselves!.

Salford - Easy to get to if driving, you'd need a mini break to get there by public transport, decent ground, decent atmosphere even though there's not many of them, good views too.

St Helens - for all their success this has to be one of the quietest grounds to visit, sometimes there is nothing until they score then a bit of cheering and a couple of chants, another one easy to get to, decent modern stadium too.

Toulouse - Great city, basic but passable ground but is a nightmare to reach, no public transport and more or less one road in and out, very sparse and very quiet when we went, surprusing for their 1st ever SL game.

Wakefield - absolute dive, dangerous crumbling terraces, almost below pitch level so can see about 30% of the pitch, sinks hanging off walls, stinks of wee but can get vociferous if they're winning well.

Warrington - used to be a cracking day but not so much now, excellent stadium aesthetically and location wise but has lost most of it's atmosphere these days and replaced it with foul mouth man bag clad chavs who want to scrap everyone, doesn't have the friendly feel it used to have.

Wigan - strange place that always looks about 25% full despite attendances saying otherwise, used to be noisy but another where they just sit in silence or boo now, good train day if it's a weekend game.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

My Take on them all.

Cas - see above

Catalans - see above

Hull FC - bit of a library if they aren't winning and the occasional old faithful and anti-rovers song if they are, easy to get to but a pretty soulless modern bowl.

Hull KR - Boooooooooooooooo, that's all we ever hear from them when we go, and when they've stopped booing they want to fight with you and each other, strange people really, decent ground and matchday experience though now.

Huddersfield - Soulless, horrible, massive blue and white elephant for us, dislike the place, although there are plans in place to try and improve the matchday experience - obviously i'm commenting as a home fan rather than a visitor.

Leeds - bit of a nightmare to get to and from, crumbling low, open terraacing with no chance of seeing the big screen, another one where booing is more prevelant than support these days, and a band that play 4 songs on a loop usually to themselves!.

Salford - Easy to get to if driving, you'd need a mini break to get there by public transport, decent ground, decent atmosphere even though there's not many of them, good views too.

St Helens - for all their success this has to be one of the quietest grounds to visit, sometimes there is nothing until they score then a bit of cheering and a couple of chants, another one easy to get to, decent modern stadium too.

Toulouse - Great city, basic but passable ground but is a nightmare to reach, no public transport and more or less one road in and out, very sparse and very quiet when we went, surprusing for their 1st ever SL game.

Wakefield - absolute dive, dangerous crumbling terraces, almost below pitch level so can see about 30% of the pitch, sinks hanging off walls, stinks of wee but can get vociferous if they're winning well.

Warrington - used to be a cracking day but not so much now, excellent stadium aesthetically and location wise but has lost most of it's atmosphere these days and replaced it with foul mouth man bag clad chavs who want to scrap everyone, doesn't have the friendly feel it used to have.

Wigan - strange place that always looks about 25% full despite attendances saying otherwise, used to be noisy but another where they just sit in silence or boo now, good train day if it's a weekend game.

Don't forget

Castleford/Wakefield/Leeds (Western terrace) - watch where you're putting your feet as the terracing can give way under your feet.

Huddersfield- Don't have any fans, at all, none, everyone takes 5,000 fans away.

Hull FC- As an away fan, you're treated like an absolute piece of scummy scheit by the stewards/bouncers and made to feel unwelcome.

Hull KR- As well as booing and fighting, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to abuse a match official, despite announcements saying otherwise.

Salford- in terms of size and quality of support, Salford are easily the best, it's usually noisier than Saints, Wigan, Hull, Wire etc whenever I've been, quality support, same away, proof that having more doesn't equal better.

Wigan, Saints, Wire- Try not to wake them up!