Grounds worth visiting?

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Don't forget

Castleford/Wakefield/Leeds (Western terrace) - watch where you're putting your feet as the terracing can give way under your feet.

Huddersfield- Don't have any fans, at all, none, everyone takes 5,000 fans away.

Hull FC- As an away fan, you're treated like an absolute piece of scummy scheit by the stewards/bouncers and made to feel unwelcome.

Hull KR- As well as booing and fighting, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to abuse a match official, despite announcements saying otherwise.

Salford- in terms of size and quality of support, Salford are easily the best, it's usually noisier than Saints, Wigan, Hull, Wire etc whenever I've been, quality support, same away, proof that having more doesn't equal better.

Wigan, Saints, Wire- Try not to wake them up!

Re Salford, you forgot the overwhelming stench from the adjacent and enormous sewage works. 

1 hour ago, meast said:

Don't forget

Castleford/Wakefield/Leeds (Western terrace) - watch where you're putting your feet as the terracing can give way under your feet.

Huddersfield- Don't have any fans, at all, none, everyone takes 5,000 fans away.

Hull FC- As an away fan, you're treated like an absolute piece of scummy scheit by the stewards/bouncers and made to feel unwelcome.

Hull KR- As well as booing and fighting, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to abuse a match official, despite announcements saying otherwise.

Salford- in terms of size and quality of support, Salford are easily the best, it's usually noisier than Saints, Wigan, Hull, Wire etc whenever I've been, quality support, same away, proof that having more doesn't equal better.

Wigan, Saints, Wire- Try not to wake them up!

Meast actually works for the SuperLeague PR, commercial & feelgood department.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

in Super League  Cas and Leeds are the best for me

outside SL Keighley has great views and atmosphere (horrible slopey pitch though), Featherstone also good atmosphere and worth a visit.

I believe there are some clubs in Lancashire too but i wouldn't bother with them if I were you. Maybe Warrington for a big game.

I would definitely recommend Batley ,Dewsbury and Barrow all good for an afternoon of RL and hospitality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Was it the Magic Weekends that got you interested in RL?

I had watched Super League on sky over the years.  Particularly during the summer when the football is out of season.  If I think about it it may be watching NFL on Sunday nights on Sky that led me more into Super League and eventually favouring it over NFL.

Magic weekend for seeing live though yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

The Huddersfield fans in this forum seem like a miserable bunch, you’d think they’d be happy this year 😉

We are very happy, we just like to mimic and extract the urine out of those who have been giving us ###### for years..

• Like 1

You would be more than welcome at Barrow's Craven Park; it is such a fun place to be these days, families with young kids dressed in the colours of the local junior clubs, good open rugby by a tam that includes several locals who have graduated through those same clubs and and in the line from Marty Robbins hit song Devil Woman - even the seagulls are happy.

It's not Super League but don't let that put you off.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rowan said:

You would be more than welcome at Barrow's Craven Park; it is such a fun place to be these days, families with young kids dressed in the colours of the local junior clubs, good open rugby by a tam that includes several locals who have graduated through those same clubs and and in the line from Marty Robbins hit song Devil Woman - even the seagulls are happy.

I can vouch for that, we had a wonderful day at Barrow earlier in the season in the cup, definitely made the trip worthwhile, very friendly, community orientated club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think (and I'm probably 1005 Biased here) that Headingley is the 'best' ground in SL I think it's a perfect example of how to modernise an old stadium

But don't go if the weather is inclement Geordie and you want to stand with the away fans, Chris fails to tell you that modernisation has been overlooked on the portion of the stadium reserved for the visiting supporters, it is open to the elements.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But don't go if the weather is inclement Geordie and you want to stand with the away fans, Chris fails to tell you that modernisation has been overlooked on the portion of the stadium reserved for the visiting supporters, it is open to the elements.

it’s not been overlooked, its simply not possible to put a roof on it.

there are 3 other areas that away fans can stand or sit near that end that are undercover.

its also not reserved for away fans, (none of the stadium is segregated) theres some Leeds supporters with Season Tickets for the western terrace.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

there are 3 other areas that away fans can stand or sit near that end that are undercover.

its also not reserved for away fans, (none of the stadium is segregated) theres some Leeds supporters with Season Tickets for the western terrace.

Aye OK.

Not possible to put a roof on it?

Yes I will agree the (Caddick Stand I think it's called) and the South Stand have been subject to your "modernisation" but they can't do anything to cater for a number of away fans that wish to congregate together, how many years has it been like that?

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye OK.

Not possible to put a roof on it?

Yes I will agree the (Caddick Stand I think it's called) and the South Stand have been subject to your "modernisation" but they can't do anything to cater for a number of away fans that wish to congregate together, how many years has it been like that?

No, you’re right they have purposely left it to annoy away fans.

They have tried to get permission to put a roof on it, it’s simply not possible.

Regarding the venue itself rather than the match taking place then Headingley is way above any other Rugby League ground and the only one I enjoy taking newbies to.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Get along to any of them, I've had a great time at any of the grounds, I don't think the bricks and mortar element is too important - they are mostly all good grounds and people have their personal preferences so you need to work out what yours are by visiting.

I think the advice of picking good games is a sound one. For example, Wigan has come in for criticism for atmosphere, yet I have found it to be brilliant when there for a big Wire game or sometimes internationals. 

It's also useful to think about what kind of day you want. I enjoy going for a bite to eat and a few beers around a match, maybe start with the grounds that offer close proximity to town/city centres.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Re Salford, you forgot the overwhelming stench from the adjacent and enormous sewage works. 

Like you, I always thought it was the sewage works that caused it, but then I realised that the stench only happens when the visitors are from Yorkshire.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rowan said:

I'd second that.

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

In fairness Harry, I think they've tried more than once. I believe the houses at the back are the problem.

I know this might seem an odd suggestion as 'enjoying' visiting maybe isn't the right word, but I think everybody with even a vague interest in RL has to watch at least one game at Odsal, simply because there's no other ground in the world quite like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Josef K said:

For away fan’s Leeds & Cas’s grounds are ok if it isn’t raining. Hopefully Wakey’s stadium will improve with the upgrade. 

To be fair at Cas there is covered standing at the side so absolutely no reason to be in the rain.

16 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Surely the could have a little covered section like the side bit at Wakefield? even mending some of the terracing would be a little improvement.