TRL Helpdesk - West Yorkshire

Hello. After a long time away from the north, the family and I are moving to settle in the Elland/Brighouse area in the next couple of weeks. It will be a big change from the last eight years in London but we are looking forward to a lot of extra house space and a bit more greenery on our doorstep.

Any tips or suggestions from locals on good places to visit (we have a four year old and a 7 month old) while we get our bearings over the summer? Good pubs or restaurants. Any guidance on pronouncing local placenames would be handy as I'm aware they tend to do it somewhat haphazardly in Yorkshire.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Hello. After a long time away from the north, the family and I are moving to settle in the Elland/Brighouse area in the next couple of weeks. It will be a big change from the last eight years in London but we are looking forward to a lot of extra house space and a bit more greenery on our doorstep.

Any tips or suggestions from locals on good places to visit (we have a four year old and a 7 month old) while we get our bearings over the summer? Good pubs or restaurants. Any guidance on pronouncing local placenames would be handy as I'm aware they tend to do it somewhat haphazardly in Yorkshire.

Thanks in advance.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy Headingly for some great rugby and quickly become a regular 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Thanks in advance.

Shibden hall

Hardcastle Crags

Hebden bridge in general is a good place to visit & find good food. 

Eureka is good to take kids I understand, tho as a 45 year old I've never been. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

When your sprogs are a bit older, let's hope this place is still going: https://www.theforbiddencorner.co.uk

We went there with my niece and a couple of her friends a few years ago, and it was great.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So you're coming back to the M62 corridor JB?, seems like a fairly selfish act in these days of RL expansionism, is there anyone other than futtocks left now to spread the word to the ignorant Southerner masses in London?

And speaking of ignorant Southerners, if you're considering a train journey up here, the stations are a lot further apart than they are on the tube so please allow plenty of time for any journey you might make...

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I go to Judy Woods quite often, it is in Bradford South and is easy to get to, but it can also be really busy on the road for parking on Station Road.

https://www.walkingwithkids.co.uk/judy-woods#:~:text=Address%3A For the wheel friendly,Sat Navs use BD12 8LA.

Apologies if this link isn't embedded properly, I'm a little off on how to post links, etc. these days.

There is a couple of pubs very close by, The Pear Tree and The Old White Beare Inn.

https://theoldwhitebeare.co.uk/

7 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I've only been once but Cromwell Bottom Nature Reserve was a nice afternoon walk.

https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/residents/leisure-and-culture/parks-and-open-spaces/nature-reserves/cromwell-bottom-local-nature

That was one of our landfill sites when I worked for the council.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Five Rise Locks, Bingley

Halifax Piecehall ... stunning building, shops ... Dan Fleming's family have a cake shop there ... only 300 yards from Eureka.

Todmorden Market on a Wednesday is pretty good.

Bradford is having a street festival 0n 19th and 20th of August. Some of the acts will be rubbish but it's all free and performed on the streets.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/20282158.acts-performances-announced-re-branded-bradford-festival/

Stock car racing at Odsal

if you can get a babysitter, go down Gaping Gill on the bosuns chair ... through a pothole and into a floodlit cave bigger than York Minster. 12th to 19th of August.

https://www.cravenpotholeclub.org/index.php/about-gaping-gill/visit-gaping-gill

If you cant get a babysitter, there's the nearby Inglebrough Cave that's open all the time. Mix it with a visit to Skipton Market  ... Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Robin Hood's grave is in Brighouse. Apparently, there is only an official tour once a year (and gone) but I've walked up there several times.

A Bradford curry. I think one of the Aagrah's will offer the best experience for a novice.

In my experience Halifax has no good curry houses but you can get a really good and cheap Indonesian meal in the Hebden Bridge Trades Club Thursday to Sunday.  they have some good acts on as well sometimes. I saw Wilko Johnson play there.

https://thetradesclub.com/

Edited by Wolford6

Aysgarth Falls and Fountains Abbey - both as picturesque as anyone would desire.

Richmond - a charming town where, whichever direction you turn, somehow you're always walking uphill.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go a little further west and you will be in Lancashire.

Now that really is a county worth visiting.

It's got the best Soccer teams, the best Rugby League teams, proper Lakes and Mountains. ( yes Yorkshire has the dales, but even Derbyshire has them). The Duke of Lancaster is the Monarch ( The Duke of York is a perv .Do not mention Saville and Sutcliffe)

Manchester capital of the North, Liverpool and Mersey Beat

I could go on.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

11 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go a little further west and you will be in Lancashire.

Now that really is a county worth visiting.

It's got the best Soccer teams, the best Rugby League teams, proper Lakes and Mountains. ( yes Yorkshire has the dales, but even Derbyshire has them). The Duke of Lancaster is the Monarch ( The Duke of York is a perv .Do not mention Saville and Sutcliffe)

Manchester capital of the North, Liverpool and Mersey Beat

I could go on.

M62. Oldham.

Four lanes up the hill to Yorkshire. Only three  lanes back down to Lancashire.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

The only places worth living in Lancashire are Saddleworth and Delph ... proper Yorkshire stone buildings and stolen from the West Riding in 1974. Much good that did for the Red Roseites. All it did was make their own towns look even more scruffy.

The area won't have changed much in 8 years, it'll still be like 1952.

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 17/07/2022 at 20:38, Futtocks said:

Aysgarth Falls and Fountains Abbey - both as picturesque as anyone would desire.

Richmond - a charming town where, whichever direction you turn, somehow you're always walking uphill.

Just about to move to that bit of North Yorkshire. Aysgarth falls was Aysgarth rocks today - barely a drop of water.

On 15/07/2022 at 10:29, Just Browny said:

Thanks in advance.

Saltaire has a big art collection by David Hockney in a mill in quite a nice setting.

Hebden Bridge tends to have an interesting vibe too with lots of trinkety little shops.

Howarth for all your Bronte related stuff and a steam railway.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

Right, asked a friend who lives vaguely in that area and has kids. This is his response:

Above Halifax is Keighley and the Worth Valley including. Howarth is amazing,Keighley is not, it the KWVR is fabulous and IS the location of both Railway Children movies https://kwvr.co.uk

The Eureka in Bradford. Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield.

And Riddlesden Hall if they like National Trust things.

Also: The Piece Hall.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Piece Hall.

Yes, very much so.

the_piece_hall_paulwhitephotography_03_7

Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Right, asked a friend who lives vaguely in that area and has kids. This is his response:

Above Halifax is Keighley and the Worth Valley including. Howarth is amazing,Keighley is not, it the KWVR is fabulous and IS the location of both Railway Children movies https://kwvr.co.uk

The Eureka in Bradford. Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield.

And Riddlesden Hall if they like National Trust things.

Also: The Piece Hall.

Your friend has set the hill folk frothing claiming Eureka museum is anywhere else but Halifax.

6 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Your friend has set the hill folk frothing claiming Eureka museum is anywhere else but Halifax.

He's a Lancastrian. He'll like to watch the world burn.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now made this move. We had a preliminary wander around Cromwell Bottom today, it seemed nice but then it starting ####### down. I guess I will need to get used to that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

I've seen from your photos on Facebook that you were in the area, but thought you were on holiday in the Dales etc.... hadn't realised you've moved here. Hope all the family have settled in by now x

And for anyone interested, we live in Grange Moor now, spitting distance from Emley Moor transmitter mast, and surrounded by gorgeous countryside. Still get my Leyth fix now and again. Meeting my two children in Manchester on 27/8, they still live in Leigh and Atherton. They came on holiday with us to Brighton in May, and I've also had a mum & daughter holiday to Corfu. Lee and I are well, I retired at 60 last November and loving it. Michael is still reffing, but looking to retire after this season. Got our granddaughter tomorrow overnight, we're taking her to a new maze in our village, so much to do with kids around here. We are all off to Concarneau in September. My two are 35 and 30 now, time certainly flies.

• Like 5

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

• 2 months later...
On 24/07/2022 at 20:33, Just Browny said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now made this move. We had a preliminary wander around Cromwell Bottom today, it seemed nice but then it starting ####### down. I guess I will need to get used to that.

How are you getting on?