Odsal Sports City

3 hours ago, TrueBull said:

At the time I remember the administrator put out a couple of gentle warning statements to the rfl about interference. 
An administrator has significant legal power and responsibility in his narrow field. At times, the administrator felt he had found the best investor to maximise income to the creditors only for the rfl to say they wouldn’t sell the lease. 
I always wonder what would have happened with the first administrator if he felt selling the lease in the first place had meant the rfl prioritised themselves as creditors. He had the legal power to challenge that. 

The administrators, the P&A Partnership, went into administration themselves in 2015, owing money to 127 creditors, over £11 million in total, including £1.28 million to the Royal Bank of Scotland and £983,000 to HMRC.

I believe the business was subsequently sold to Begbies Traynor.

Again, you might think there was something not right about selling Odsal to the RFL, but the alternative was allowing that administrator to have a free hand with the stadium.

I'm not sure that would have worked out well.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 13:24, Martyn Sadler said:

The administrators, the P&A Partnership, went into administration themselves in 2015, owing money to 127 creditors, over £11 million in total, including £1.28 million to the Royal Bank of Scotland and £983,000 to HMRC.

I believe the business was subsequently sold to Begbies Traynor.

Again, you might think there was something not right about selling Odsal to the RFL, but the alternative was allowing that administrator to have a free hand with the stadium.

I'm not sure that would have worked out well.

not worked out well for whom

May have benefitted those owed monies.

39 minutes ago, redjonn said:

not worked out well for whom

May have benefitted those owed monies.

I very much doubt that.

And to clarify, I was owed just short of £18,000, and I didn't see a penny of it from the administrators.

But I'm still pleased that the stadium was kept out of their hands.

• 1 month later...

Oooh an indoor stadium. We even get a picture in this article!:

The ODSAL stadium could become the country’s largest permanently covered stadium if a funding offer to transform the site is approved by the government.

The £50m bid to refurbish the Bradford Bulls home and create a new rugby league skills centre, park and ride car park, sports fields, hotel and solar farm was described as “a unique opportunity to… Breaking Out” described the cycle of poverty” in the region.

As well as restoring Bradford to being a rugby powerhouse, the stadium will enable the city to host major music and cultural events, as well as other sports such as boxing.

Councils across the country have been invited to bid up to £50m for the Government’s Leveling Up Fund. Each constituency can apply for a £20m project, but there are also two potential £50m awards for projects created by public-private partnerships.

The proposals announced today will create a regional rugby league center of excellence for Yorkshire and the north east of England, forming part of a world-class elite sport training center in Odsal for rugby league for men, women and wheelchair users – subject to the funding offer being successful.

https://ukdaily.news/yorkshire/odsal-could-become-the-largest-fixed-roof-stadium-in-the-country-under-new-plans-16895.html

41 minutes ago, Jughead said:

How many points do you get for hitting the roof?

Would the ball be judged in touch on the side nearest? My understanding of the rule has always been that if the ball touches an object that is not part of the field of play (touch judge, ball boy, TV cameraman) it's out. The roof extends across and down to the stand which is by definition outside of the pitch.

Edited by DI Keith Fowler

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

The council thinks £50million quid will put a roof over the stadium, build a hotel and convert the former biggest landfill site in West Yorkshire to playing fields.

This is the same council that built an extravagent £multi-million set of all-singing, all-dancing fountains-with-a-light show installation next to City Hall. It never considered there was a chance that the subterranean control centre and pumping house could spring a leak and flood.

Electricity and water have always been the best of mates. Cue, many many months of no fountains. Cost to repair? Never disclosed.

NB: The culverted Bradford Beck ... the obvious drainage receptor for any such flood, was/is all of 20metres away across open pavement and roadway. A drainage pipe in a trench would have been completely out of the question

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The council thinks £50million quid will put a roof over the stadium, build a hotel and convert the former biggest landfill site in West Yorkshire to playing fields.

This bid is for £50m. The cost is a lot more than that - funding for the gap would need to be found.

Your point is sound though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Well, no. The £50m and the fact that the council own the majority of the brownfield sites surrounding it which are 1 short (still to be built) access road to the motorway network will help. I would assume they're thinking £50m and allowing Caddick construction to sell the 2000 homes they'll be allowed to build at the site where Caddick (i think) have the contract for the park end of the park and ride scheme will allow them to keep the stadium. The financial and legal discussions behind the scene for who puts in what initially and what % they get at the end must be complex.