Doncaster

jroyales

The sad thing is the lads who go out there representing our club don't go out to lose. I am sure the whole team are as embarrassed as us and yet they carry on for £50 losing money.

This division is NOT for a team full of academy kids but what is needed is big forwards and ex-superleague players coming to the end of their careers.

We can see why can't the club board! My only hope is they are stashing all the cash so as to sign a team that will compete next season. I've now woken up to what I have just said - what nonsense.

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, jroyales said:

This division is NOT for a team full of academy kids but what is needed is big forwards and ex-superleague players coming to the end of their careers.

Fair enough that's what Keighley have done and it has paid off for them but there are teams in the league performing better than Oldham who haven't got big forwards and SL experience.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thecrab said:

How can we be in League One on a negative points difference after 13 games with only West Wales, London and 2 new teams below us?

It's unbelievable just how low this board have taken us.  

Hornets finished last season with only west wales, london and coventry below us…..of course cornwall didnt exist.

Things can be turned around, though it can seem like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep the faith 

45 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Hornets finished last season with only west wales, london and coventry below us…..of course cornwall didnt exist.

Things can be turned around, though it can seem like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep the faith 

trouble is anita oldham as not got a tunnel

Moving on from the sarcasm. I agree that other clubs in this division  don't have big forwards and a clutch of academy players, so it's down to the board to sign players that can hold their own in this bottom division!

A quick calculation of the proceeds from the Rochdale game. Attendance nearly a 1000 X  average entrance fee £12 = £12000 less losing pay 17 players at £50 = £850 = a profit of £11150. I don't know what the other outgoings are but it's still a tidy profit.

Like I said early it's all being stashed for next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Moving on from the sarcasm. I agree that other clubs in this division  don't have big forwards and a clutch of academy players, so it's down to the board to sign players that can hold their own in this bottom division!

A quick calculation of the proceeds from the Rochdale game. Attendance nearly a 1000 X  average entrance fee £12 = £12000 less losing pay 17 players at £50 = £850 = a profit of £11150. I don't know what the other outgoings are but it's still a tidy profit.

Like I said early it's all being stashed for next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

docaster estimated gate 300 £12 £3600

vat £720 wages £850

monies left £2.030

Who writes the match report? They deserve a medal for positivity. There is no way we should be given reports stating the second half was a much better performance than the first. We all need to face facts and read reports about the truth, we are not competing in this league, we are not good enough and the way we are going, never will be. Don’t give me ###### about grass roots and woman's teams etc. the owner, the coach and the players should be held accountable and speak to the minuscule number of supporters that remain. It’s a complete shambles.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Remember the 90s said:

Who writes the match report? They deserve a medal for positivity. There is no way we should be given reports stating the second half was a much better performance than the first. We all need to face facts and read reports about the truth, we are not competing in this league, we are not good enough and the way we are going, never will be. Don’t give me ###### about grass roots and woman's teams etc. the owner, the coach and the players should be held accountable and speak to the minuscule number of supporters that remain. It’s a complete shambles.

We had a decent 10 minutes when we scored our points. Then a Doncaster player knocked on near they're own try line and our lads couldn't do anything with it. 

In the 1st half Doncaster were stronger, fitter & more aggressive than Oldham. Our line speed & tackling technique was poor, which meant that Doncaster got quick play the balls & momentum and with the heat we folded.
In the 2nd half, Oldham’s line speed remained poor but tackling technique much better, 3 players in the tackle & taking them to the floor, controlling the speed of the play the ball, which made for a reasonably competitive 2nd half - this was probably balanced by Doncaster taking their foot off the gas.

I’ve seen a few games this season & we’ve played reasonably well for 50mins at Rochdale, Hurricanes, 1st half Rochdale at home & 2nd half Doncaster & that’s about it.

We had a pretty big squad at the start of the season but not seen anything from some of them & plenty of loan players but the 1 area we haven’t changed is the props who have consistently struggled in every match- why?

Next season? I don’t expect much different unfortunately. Who would we want to keep from this season - Restall, Copland, Hartley, Ridyard, Nelmes, Thornton, Whittel, Andrade?

Edited by LittleboroRoughyed

54 minutes ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

In the 1st half Doncaster were stronger, fitter & more aggressive than Oldham. Our line speed & tackling technique was poor, which meant that Doncaster got quick play the balls & momentum and with the heat we folded.
In the 2nd half, Oldham’s line speed remained poor but tackling technique much better, 3 players in the tackle & taking them to the floor, controlling the speed of the play the ball, which made for a reasonably competitive 2nd half - this was probably balanced by Doncaster taking their foot off the gas.

I’ve seen a few games this season & we’ve played reasonably well for 50mins at Rochdale, Hurricanes, 1st half Rochdale at home & 2nd half Doncaster & that’s about it.

We had a pretty big squad at the start of the season but not seen anything from some of them & plenty of loan players but the 1 area we haven’t changed is the props who have consistently struggled in every match- why?

Next season? I don’t expect much different unfortunately. Who would we want to keep from this season - Restall, Copland, Hartley, Ridyard, Nelmes, Thornton, Whittel, Andrade?

The difficulty for next season as I see it, will be similar to last year, when the better players left as they wanted, and could, play at a higher level. Langtree. Reilly, Dupree to name but three. The likes of Bridge and Joy had probably come to the natural end of their careers at this level. Hence, we'll be scrabbling around again. You'd imagine that Restall. who wanted to prove himself in the semi professional game (according to the Talking Yeds podcast) has done so with flying colours and could easily be snapped up by a more ambitious or high flying club in this or Championship level. Whittel similar. The rest? How many more seasons has Ridyard got left - and will he want to play in another struggling team? I don't think Nelmes has impressed for much of the season. Not looking good, I'm afraid. A vicious cycle, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jroyales said:

I suggested £12 because pensioners get in for £13 and I felt a little generous with12. I suppose I could have said 14. It's still a nice profit stashed away for next season.

But the reality is nothing like that. I went to the Rochdale game with 5 grandkids. 1 a student and 4 under 16. So income from 6 of us was £19. Bear in mind a large portion of the crowd was under 16’s due to the curtain raiders then the income won’t be that high.

At the Doncaster game there was three of us, same £19 so average just over £6. If there was 300 there the club will be lucky to have generated £3000. Should imagine they will have list money on the day

Truly how is it all viable?

48 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

But the reality is nothing like that. I went to the Rochdale game with 5 grandkids. 1 a student and 4 under 16. So income from 6 of us was £19. Bear in mind a large portion of the crowd was under 16’s due to the curtain raiders then the income won’t be that high.

At the Doncaster game there was three of us, same £19 so average just over £6. If there was 300 there the club will be lucky to have generated £3000. Should imagine they will have list money on the day

Truly how is it all viable?

Agree. That is the reality of the situation and the difficulties of running a club in League 1 shouldn't be under estimated.

Looking at the costs involved with away travel to the West Wales and Cornwall games alone, there's a lot of expenditure to contend with.

Of course, on top of that, outgoings throughout a season include rent of the ground, contract payments to playing, coaching and backroom staff, the fee for the matchday doctor, stewarding costs, player nutrition and matchday food and plenty more.

With the central funding from the RFL also cut by 85% for this season, thank goodness for the sponsors!   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Agree. That is the reality of the situation and the difficulties of running a club in League 1 shouldn't be under estimated.

Looking at the costs involved with away travel to the West Wales and Cornwall games alone, there's a lot of expenditure to contend with.

Of course, on top of that, outgoings throughout a season include rent of the ground, contract payments to playing, coaching and backroom staff, the fee for the matchday doctor, stewarding costs, player nutrition and matchday food and plenty more.

With the central funding from the RFL also cut by 85% for this season, thank goodness for the sponsors!   

Well said Logic, the doom merchants on here really have no idea at all.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Well said Logic, the doom merchants on here really have no idea at all.

There just isn't the money around anymore. With the huge cut in central funding. I would guess some clubs(ours included) relied on that money to function. That cut in funding must've been a right kick in the knackers.

• Sad 1

Buy the clubs voted for the reduction in central funding.

So without stating the obvious the position we are in at the moment was clearly foreseeable and a good chairman would and should have budgeted for it

With hardly any central funding we can see that the Board don't have any money , and their isolationist approach over the past 25 years  means they have lost  the majority of the fanbase and any potential investors. We now have a  desperate and belated reach out to the fans supporters groups ,ex players and council , this should of happened decades ago ?!!

CH won't sell at a reasonable price which is next to zero so we've been stuck for years in this slow decline to the bottom. 

Still  ......  could be worse ?😀

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Logic said:

And don't forget that the sponsors are also going through tough times COVID economy cot of living etc so a big rap to all sponsors for staying on board at all clubs 👏👏.

Edited by Joe 90
  • Like 2