Victor the Inflictor

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't agree Frisky one, without a shadow of a doubt the NRL is quite a few rungs up the ladder than SL performs at, Knowles who is a very good player has yet to prove himself in this company, from what perspective are you looking from to say he is as good as anybody in the world without him being tested against them.

I think it’s fair to say they are both outstanding players who will be great additions to the England WC squad if they are both fit & if the coach picks them.

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Welcome Victor, definately an upgrade for Wane's England squad. Now if only he can convince fellow Rooster Leeds Lad, Sam Walker to declare for the Mother Country. England might have the makings of a team..

Nope he won’t and can’t 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't agree Frisky one, without a shadow of a doubt the NRL is quite a few rungs up the ladder than SL performs at, Knowles who is a very good player has yet to prove himself in this company, from what perspective are you looking from to say he is as good as anybody in the world without him being tested against them.

Doesn't that argument work both ways - in regards to Victor?

Knowles has played for his country and won Grand finals.

Once again - those thick NRL ti ted glasses really do cloud some peoples judgement on here.

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Once again - those thick NRL ti ted glasses really do cloud some peoples judgement on here.

Both Knowles & Radley are outstanding players & most posters share that view,so no NRL bias but the fact you keep bringing this up sort of says you have a real problem with NRL players in the reckoning for England selection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Interesting discussion on 360 about this. Including talk of Big Mal being a bit dischuffed as Victor was in his thoughts.

Saw that, the panels debate is mainly because they think this devalues Origin - maybe they will now start to think Origin is just an all-stars game that serves as trial matches for their national team. Let's hope this helps put international matches at the top of the tree again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Both Knowles & Radley are outstanding players & most posters share that view,so no NRL bias but the fact you keep bringing this up sort of says you have a real problem with NRL players in the reckoning for England selection.

Sort of lad - its the fact that anyone who plays in the NRL is automatically 2 steps ahead of England selection than a great SL player.

Look at players like Sutton - an average forward at Wigan who hardly set SL alight but as soon as he moved to the NRL everyone said he should be in the England team. Hodgson- not a great player and there were about 4 SL players better than him but because he played NRL he got his place in the team.

Just frustrating that young SL players are classed as 2nd best because they play SL - I'm not against the NRL by the way I'm a Roosters member and attend a few matches each season when I'm working in oz.

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sort of lad - its the fact that anyone who plays in the NRL is automatically 2 steps ahead of England selection than a great SL player.

Look at players like Sutton - an average forward at Wigan who hardly set SL alight but as soon as he moved to the NRL everyone said he should be in the England team. Hodgson- not a great player and there were about 4 SL players better than him but because he played NRL he got his place in the team.

Just frustrating that young SL players are classed as 2nd best because they play SL - I'm not against the NRL by the way I'm a Roosters member and attend a few matches each season when I'm working in oz.

Didn’t Hodgson play for England before his NRL move ?

Sutton was a good but underrated player at Wigan,he has matured & developed at Canberra but he’s no world beater but then again we are hardly blessed with them.

We can’t escape the fact that the NRL is a higher level than Superleague & any English player that is playing well over there should be in consideration for selection but by no means a shoe in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

We can’t escape the fact that the NRL is a higher level than Superleague & any English player that is playing well over there should be in consideration for selection but by no means a shoe in.

Absolutely!

48 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Now look back, I have not said a thing about Radley as an individual being good enough or otherwise to represent England, nor will I, anybody who recalls any posts I have made on international selection, will remember that I am not in favour of these very flexible rules for eligibility whether they be heritage or residential. 

I was hoping when Mr Wane got the job that he would discount bringing in ringers as he intimated he would do, perhaps he has developed the need for NRL tinted glasses to see the bigger picture ahead of him.

50 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The majority opinion from this thread is that Knowles is just as good as Radley - if not better.

The majority opinion on these boards is that Hodgson should not have been in the England squad and is behind a number of UK based hookers.

So for 2 out of 3 players, you are arguing against something that doesn't exist.

As for Sutton.  He has just got better.  He may have done in Super League and he may not have.  We don't know that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now look back, I have not said a thing about Radley as an individual being good enough or otherwise to represent England, nor will I, anybody who recalls any posts I have made on international selection, will remember that I am not in favour of these very flexible rules for eligibility whether they be heritage or residential. 

I was hoping when Mr Wane got the job that he would discount bringing in ringers as he intimated he would do, perhaps he has developed the need for NRL tinted glasses to see the bigger picture ahead of him.

If you don't like ringers for a short term fix, its a good job your not a Leigh fan.....

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

NRL tinted glasses

Oh don’t you start . That phrase is getting very tedious . It predetermines people can’t just judge a player on his merits which is a tad disrespectful , and somewhat ignores the absolute fact that the NRL is streets ahead of SL so if you’re performing there to a high level it’s a nobrainer you’d be strongly pushing ( at least ) for selection 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Oh don’t you start . That phrase is getting very tedious . It predetermines people can’t just judge a player on his merits which is a tad disrespectful , and somewhat ignores the absolute fact that the NRL is streets ahead of SL so if you’re performing there to a high level it’s a nobrainer you’d be strongly pushing ( at least ) for selection 

Give me a bit of credit David, I was only using Frisky's terminology to get a point over to him, yes it is very tedious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

You contradict yourself in the same paragraph lad.

- "people can’t just judge a player on his merits which is a tad disrespectful"

And then state- 

"ignores the absolute fact that the NRL is streets ahead of SL"

So you say to respect players on their merits then state that the NRL is streets ahead (what ever that means) of SL - so you once again arnt giving SL players the same respect as NRL players. 

• Confused 2

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Why because I have a different opinion to yourself, we all know when you are struggling you resort to calling people "Lad or Mate"

Sorry mate, 

Roll on the WC - would prefer to win it with players who are English or have an affinity with England or SL - yes, I would be quite happy to have Hastings in the team as he loved SL and is a top player- just have a problem with players who know nothing about the UK / England or even SL.

I wonder if VR even knows who the England captain is?

VR is a top player, and this is a tournament not a one-off game- one injury could be the difference between sucess and failure- some people on here just want England to fail by the sounds of it- well done to him for putting his hand up - his English father must be proud of him and so should we be

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sorry mate, 

Roll on the WC - would prefer to win it with players who are English or have an affinity with England or SL - yes, I would be quite happy to have Hastings in the team as he loved SL and is a top player- just have a problem with players who know nothing about the UK / England or even SL.

Not knowing would put him alongside 98% of English people so that helps!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sorry mate, 

I went on the '19 GB tour to NZ Frisky, and I could not make any connection whatsoever with Hastings who had been here in the country for about 18 months never having stepped foot in it previously having signed for Salford mid season '18, the same with Coote and Austin except they had been here for 10 months, I would wager that not one of those would have even contemplated coming here if they could have secured a lucrative contract with a NRL club. Yes I know it was GB and Coote had previously played for Scotland but the principle is just the same.

So yes I would prefer to win it with English player's, in fact I would sooner be a gallant loser than a winner reliant on bringing heritage or residents in, my opinion of course.