Directors statement

The Voodooguru

On 20/07/2022 at 17:17, tbgfc said:

How many mergers have actually worked in the true sense without one club just swallowing up another.

In rugby league probably none, but barrow/Carlisle Hull/Gateshead etc weren’t really mergers, more of a disposing of assets to get players fixed up with a contract.

I think our case in west Cumbria could be slightly different, as if the club was structured correctly the ladies, development, possibly even training (gym etc) could operate from the Rec and match days could be in the new shared stadium to take advantage of improved corporate facilities as that’s where clubs make their money these days.

If Town tried to go it alone with Ladies, Development etc. they would hit a brick wall straight away as they wouldn’t have a ground to play on as the new stadium will just be for the Reds and Town first teams only.

The Reds have had this problem for years - and despite their success the youth/ladies have been nomads for years

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's

11 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

In rugby league probably none, but barrow/Carlisle Huddersfield/Gateshead etc weren’t really mergers, more of a disposing of assets to get players fixed up with a contract.

I think our case in west Cumbria could be slightly different, as if the club was structured correctly the ladies, development, possibly even training (gym etc) could operate from the Rec and match days could be in the new shared stadium to take advantage of improved corporate facilities as that’s where clubs make their money these days.

If Town tried to go it alone with Ladies, Development etc. they would hit a brick wall straight away as they wouldn’t have a ground to play on as the new stadium will just be for the Reds and Town first teams only.

The Reds have had this problem for years - and despite their success the youth/ladies have been nomads for years

Sounds great on paper mate just can't see Haven fans travelling through to Workington to follow team Cumbria same would go the other way if we were not to get the new stadium but funding was found to develop the Rec and team Cumbria played there. Really can't see it happening or if it does being successful in the long term. 

If it does happen then the only plausible solution to attract the most possible fans would be to cancel the stadium plans in the Town centre and build in a more neutral location but where?

33 minutes ago, tbgfc said:

Sounds great on paper mate just can't see Haven fans travelling through to Workington to follow team Cumbria same would go the other way if we were not to get the new stadium 

supporters of all clubs are parochial and very fickle - clubs wins games, supporters 'flock back' - lose a few and its the old 'never setting foot in that ground again' - so I'm not sure the argument of supporters not following a rebranded club necessarily stacks up, as despite what some would say curiosity would get the better of them and if the matchday experience was good and the team was competitive then why as an RL fan wouldn't you go to watch it?

Town and Haven between them have a combined hardcore of 1500 ish - plus there's another 2000+ potential regular floating supporters who will pick their games and watch a handful of games a season so I honestly see no reason why a rebranded side couldn't initially attract 3000+ to games     

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

supporters of all clubs are parochial and very fickle - clubs wins games, supporters 'flock back' - lose a few and its the old 'never setting foot in that ground again' - so I'm not sure the argument of supporters not following a rebranded club necessarily stacks up, as despite what some would say curiosity would get the better of them and if the matchday experience was good and the team was competitive then why as an RL fan wouldn't you go to watch it?

Town and Haven between them have a combined hardcore of 1500 ish - plus there's another 2000+ potential regular floating supporters who will pick their games and watch a handful of games a season so I honestly see no reason why a rebranded side couldn't initially attract 3000+ to games     

Agree with a lot of that there seems a lot more people in this area who class themselves as rugby supporters who dont go to games than those that do. A long term merger is the way forward unfortunately money from sky sports should have been poured into grassroots development for the last 20 year accross the county increasing playing numbers from Carlisle down to Millom,for too long both clubs have just looked at surviving that season

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There's a lot of if's in your posts, and the "initially attract 3000+" sound good but all what you have stated is dependent on a successful squad and a massive amount of money. You could probably half the amount of loyal fans the both clubs have that would go to watch a rebranded side.

Koucash had the right idea that the only way a Cumbria club could be successful is if it had no affiliation to Town or Haven and that's not a merger, that's a completely new club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Stadium plan won’t get cancelled, the work has to be finished by 2024, Plus RL clubs can’t get funding on their own so it’s a link in with the Reds or no new stadium

Let’s be honest, the stadium will go ahead because it is primarily for the reds, Town have been stitched up into moving to Borough park, so a merged RL club would probably play at the wreck.

Edited by bobg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bobg said:

Let’s be honest, the stadium will go ahead because it is primarily for the reds, Town have been stitched up into moving to Borough park, so a merged RL club would probably play at the wreck.

Dont think town have been stitched up more likely they know the cost of staying put would probably finish the club, remember not too long ago they sold the lease on the training pitch next to tesco in order to survive 

6 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

In rugby league probably none, but barrow/Carlisle Huddersfield/Gateshead etc weren’t really mergers, more of a disposing of assets to get players fixed up with a contract.

Surely they have took this in to consideration in the plan, as this should be part of the bigger picture in improving and increasing both sports foot prints in the area.

6 hours ago, JMB said:

Surely they have took this in to consideration in the plan, as this should be part of the bigger picture in improving and increasing both sports foot prints in the area.

Wonder if another statement will be released tomorow,  especially now as  it's common knowledge about players been asked to take a pay cut. 

13 minutes ago, JMB said:

Wonder if another statement will be released tomorow,  especially now as  it's common knowledge about players been asked to take a pay cut. 

Big meeting at haven tomorrow night wouldn't be surprised if we've got the same problem

31 minutes ago, town2018 said:

What is going on at this club like that's another player signed for one off our relegation rivals its like we are settling for going down yeah he ain't one off our better players but why help a rival 

Exactly what's happening pal. And to be honest it's the right thing to do. Start planning for next season NOW.

To be honest I've been a home and away support for alot off years now and I've missed the last 3 matches but I won't be returning anytime soon until alot changes and a public statement comes out from the board and Chris to as why we are sending our fringe players to our relagation rivals and why we are sticking with the game plan off a small pack when it hasn't worked all season 

5 minutes ago, Townie987 said:

Forum: Davies twins are ######, why sign them
Also forum: don’t release the twins to other clubs

If thats your summing up of things you have zero grasp of what people are talking about 

Totally agree with earlier post about the need for an open meeting like at Haven. I'm surprised that as many fans  continued to attend as have when you consider how they have been let down by the club.

Limited statements from on high are not enough given the obvious gravity of the situation. Come on Directors, you should want to take us with you so call that meeting urgently. That would be the start of a more open and  positive approach to secure Town's future.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, REX said:

Totally agree with earlier post about the need for an open meeting like at Haven. I'm surprised that as many fans  continued to attend as have when you consider how they have been let down by the club.

Limited statements from on high are not enough given the obvious gravity of the situation. Come on Directors, you should want to take us with you so call that meeting urgently. That would be the start of a more open and  positive approach to secure Town's future.

Maybe to many with big egos to let anyone know.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Townie987 said:

Forum: Davies twins are ######, why sign them
Also forum: don’t release the twins to other clubs

Massive difference from signing them and releasing them to your rival teams but that's surely shows how much you know about rugby 

17 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Massive difference from signing them and releasing them to your rival teams but that's surely shows how much you know about rugby 

Sadly I suspect the clubs under such financial strain that we’ve had to take the first opportunity to get both off the pay roll 

Maybe a public meeting would be the best so the fans can understand the situation and potentially help, I've seen the supporters club has already begun doing raffles etc which is excellent on their part. I've heard the players have been asked to take a pay cut, hopefully they're willing to help the club out but I can't see anyone in the squad being on silly money as it is? 

37 minutes ago, Gillmeister80 said:

Sadly I suspect the clubs under such financial strain that we’ve had to take the first opportunity to get both off the pay roll 

Surely if it is a financial issue this has not happened over night and will have been a strain before the Davies signings and I can 100% guarantee olstrum and Wilson will have been cheaper and probably gave us more on the field so personally I will be going down to see Chris himself to ask these questions 

• Like 2