Newcastle (A)

Wakefield Ram

We played some good open rugby in the first half, the like of which we haven’t seen in a long time, but seemed to tire in the second period. 
Carr scored, then he dropped the ball over the line in the act of scoring, then couldn’t get the ball to score what could have been his hat-trick. Instead Boafo picked it up to go the length of the field fir his try. 
Thunder took the lead when Carr dropped the ball on his line and they scored and we thought all was lost, but the home team was penalised soon after and Sykes converted. Unfortunately we should have gone for goal earlier with two penalties, but chose to run and got nothing there. 
Finny will be rueing those decisions. 

• Like 5
Legs, Dews, Legs.

48 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

We played some good open rugby in the first half, the like of which we haven’t seen in a long time, but seemed to tire in the second period. 
Carr scored, then he dropped the ball over the line in the act of scoring, then couldn’t get the ball to score what could have been his hat-trick. Instead Boafo picked it up to go the length of the field fir his try. 
Thunder took the lead when Carr dropped the ball on his line and they scored and we thought all was lost, but the home team was penalised soon after and Sykes converted. Unfortunately we should have gone for goal earlier with two penalties, but chose to run and got nothing there. 
Finny will be rueing those decisions. 

I asked LF at the Michael Knowles evening why we didn't take kickable penalties. He said it was down to the players but he thought we should take the points. Can't believe we turned two penalties down.

41 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Well done to the players on a draw that could/should have been a win. Now 3 points from Whitehaven, think London will get a few more wins. 

You need to match the amount of wins you've had all season just to get onto the same amount of points as haven,  whilst hoping they don't pick up points. They've got some favourable fixtures to come. Never say never but it is looking like mission impossible. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, LINNERS said:

You need to match the amount of wins you've had all season just to get onto the same amount of points as haven,  whilst hoping they don't pick up points. They've got some favourable fixtures to come. Never say never but it is looking like mission impossible. 

put simply you really need to win 3 more games than london or haven , sorry just not happening

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

put simply you really need to win 3 more games than london or haven , sorry just not happening

Yes 4 points from Haven who should get stuffed by Leigh tomorrow. It's not over till the fat lady sings, yes she's clearing her throat but I reserve the right to cling onto the slimmest hope. If only we'd sacked LG last season like I suggested on this forum or even earlier this season, think we'd be in a much better position. But we fight on.

• Like 6

It's never over until it's over. 

• Like 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

9 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

image.jpeg.79c6264b81cac57d9bde5a009fc2644a.jpeg

🤔🤔😲

• Like 3
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

12 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

We just need a club to break the regulations, go bust or play an unregistered player..........................oh!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Attended game and as LF stated during post match interview a good effort by all of the Rams players. Newcastle have a lot of work to do!

Rams attack needs varying as everything went through Sykes and down Rams left edge. All passes around the back to Turner and no hitting the lead runner. Bailey Gill was basically redundant as an attacking threat on Rams right edge making defensive reads easy to deal with. 

Things looking better and hopefully a bit more composure next game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Attended game and as LF stated during post match interview a good effort by all of the Rams players. Newcastle have a lot of work to do!

Rams attack needs varying as everything went through Sykes and down Rams left edge. All passes around the back to Turner and no hitting the lead runner. Bailey Gill was basically redundant as an attacking threat on Rams right edge making defensive reads easy to deal with. 

Wasn't at the game but yes every pass goes to Turner. Scored first time against Halifax then same move next two times Fax put him in touch.

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I agree we used the left edge a lot, but we did score down that side with some good passing and running, something of which we haven’t done often in the past couple of seasons.

Turner links up nicely on either side of the field where he thinks he will be more effective. 

I thought Bailey was submitted because he hadn’t done much, but you could be right with your assessment (and he had to return soon after when Sweeting was injured, but again wasn’t really noticeable).

It’s a real pity we couldn’t win yesterday because we played much better as a team, but pleased we didn’t lose, which seemed likely when Thunder stole the lead for the only time. 

It was a clever short kick to get the ball back after their score and subsequently win a penalty, but I didn’t see the offence, so what was it for?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I agree we used the left edge a lot, but we did score down that side with some good passing and running, something of which we haven’t done often in the past couple of seasons.

Turner links up nicely on either side of the field where he thinks he will be more effective. 

I thought Bailey was submitted because he hadn’t done much, but you could be right with your assessment (and he had to return soon after when Sweeting was injured, but again wasn’t really noticeable).

It’s a real pity we couldn’t win yesterday because we played much better as a team, but pleased we didn’t lose, which seemed likely when Thunder stole the lead for the only time. 

It was a clever short kick to get the ball back after their score and subsequently win a penalty, but I didn’t see the offence, so what was it for?

Not 100% sure but I think the late penalty was given for offside. I could be wrong.

Regarding our attack. It’s basically still a work in progress I suppose. However if we remain one dimensional then better opposition will quite easily snuff us out.

Had a day to recover from an exciting match in Newcastle yesterday. It was great to see us not lose and come away with something – even though the one point is unlikely to help us much.
The positives for me were that it was the most disciplined performance I've seen from us in a very long time. Our error rate was low and we did not give many penalties away at all.
Individually I thought Reiss Butterworth had his best game for us yet, and looked like the exciting player I remember seeing on his video reel when he first signed for us.
Ben Blackmore also seemed to run and tackle with a lot more ferocity than I've seen from him.
Even with hindsight, I'm not downhearted about the decision not to go for the two kickable penalty opportunities – I'm glad the new coach is trying to get the players to back themselves in attack. They did and it showed. 
After that showing I'd like to think we can another two or three matches, although that's unlikely to be enough to keep us up unless we have a large slice of luck.
A few weeks ago I'd happily have see us have a complete clearout of the squad for next season but now I'm starting to think again. Not said it much this season but I'm looking forward to the next game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Had a day to recover from an exciting match in Newcastle yesterday. It was great to see us not lose and come away with something – even though the one point is unlikely to help us much.
The positives for me were that it was the most disciplined performance I've seen from us in a very long time. Our error rate was low and we did not give many penalties away at all.
Individually I thought Reiss Butterworth had his best game for us yet, and looked like the exciting player I remember seeing on his video reel when he first signed for us.
Ben Blackmore also seemed to run and tackle with a lot more ferocity than I've seen from him.
Even with hindsight, I'm not downhearted about the decision not to go for the two kickable penalty opportunities – I'm glad the new coach is trying to get the players to back themselves in attack. They did and it showed. 
After that showing I'd like to think we can another two or three matches, although that's unlikely to be enough to keep us up unless we have a large slice of luck.
A few weeks ago I'd happily have see us have a complete clearout of the squad for next season but now I'm starting to think again. Not said it much this season but I'm looking forward to the next game.

There’s positivity.
I hope Silcoates reads this and feels the same way, but I do agree with him on some points. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

21 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Sadly its been the same all season. Every halfback that Sykes has partnered has been rendered redundant. lt was evident at the Widnes game that Gill with ball in hand was threatening and took the line on well. Starved of the ball he (or any of the other halves) cant do anything. As fir not taking pounts on offer, l find it bizarre that Finny said its down to the players to make that decision. Surely, when discussing the game plan with his on field leaders that should be paramount. 

• Like 2

Well that's two turned down against Halifax when the score was 6-6 and 6-10 and two turned down against Newcastle (Away) and one against Newcastle (H) when we were 8 points down. We lost by two points. 

For a team that's struggled to score, hard to understand why we turn down easy points. Wouldn't have changed Halifax result but going in 10-16 rather than 6-16 at HT would put us in a much better place.

• Like 1