Sun 24th July : SL : Wakefield Trinity v St Helens KO. 15:00

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • St Helens

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I think the performance today and losing like that will have took an heavy toll. Their mental and physical tanks will be running on empty and i can see Cas running riot. Sounds like bad injury to new winger also. 

I after agree mate, it proved too much after the Wigan cup game playing Castleford 4/5 days later. Fight will be there for sure but possibly tire in the closing stages. Just hope Hull can pull off a shock in the south of France 🤞

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

I after agree mate, it proved too much after the Wigan cup game playing Castleford 4/5 days later. Fight will be there for sure but possibly tire in the closing stages. Just hope Hull can pull off a shock in the south of France 🤞

Just exactly how big is this shock you are seeking?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I've not seen the match so limited in how much I can comment.

But, Lomax's two touchline conversions were critical. I was critical of the decision to give Bennison the responsibility earlier this month, so credit Lomax for stepping up.

Seemed a lot of errors from both sides on radio commentary. Neither could have complaints had they lost as there were many spurned chances to win it.

Wakefield are desperate so pre match talk of a blow out was always going to be wide of the mark.  Hard not to have a degree of sympathy for Wakefield to lose so cruelly when a win would have meant so much.

Even though it sounded though we were off our game, we've had a tough run of fixtures of late, so can't be critical of a scrappy performance, which ultimately ended in success.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I do agree with the general thoughts that golden point is unnecessary.

Although, if we didn't have it, Wakefield would be in the exact same position having won against Hull FC in June in golden point.

RL is an extremely tough and demanding game. 80 mins of hard graft is enough for any player . The only possible argument for the golden point is in knockout competitions. Because a bit more pain anc toil saves going through another full game to get a result. 

• Like 4

Just watched the final play in this game, when a player drops the ball, no matter in which direction it goes, the referee nearly always gives a knock on.

So...Jonny Lomax?!?!...

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

No disrespect to Hull, I was really just going on form. I would have thought Toulouse would be favourites at home so hoping for an away win. 

Hey, don't be defensive fella, if Hull win in Toulouse I would suggest it would be a fairly huge shock hence me asking how big a shock.

Wakefield deserved that to be called a knock-on from Lomax. A bit of luck for them wouldn't have been remiss. Still though, fair play to young Welsby for slotting it after his teammate's fumble.

Horrible way to lose after what seems to have been a gutsy 80 minutes.

I totally agree that GP should be reserved for play-off games.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Hey, don't be defensive fella, if Hull win in Toulouse I would suggest it would be a fairly huge shock hence me asking how big a shock.

Fingers crossed buddy for Hull. I don't won't to see Toulouse go down either. I would rather have Featherstone and Leigh join us to make a 14 team SL. I know this has been discussed on previous topics several times over. I guess we just got to accept it and if we finish 12th our fate is sealed. Still 7 games to go so anything can happen but geez oh today was tough to take.

• Like 2

Well the wakey luck doesn’t get any better as it seems our new winger Taufua (who had a strong game) had broke his arm ankle tapping Hurrell.

He will join Johnstone, Kay, Lyne, Tupou, Hall, Jowitt, Pitts on the sideline. That’s a full SL 1-5 sat in the stands and then some. 

The young lads in Murphy and Croft did very well today. 

Was a very entertaining game but such a cruel result as I thought for about 65 minutes of the 85 played that we were the best team and the defence was really in saints face. 

We will need to replicate that vs Cas.

3 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

Well the wakey luck doesn’t get any better as it seems our new winger Taufua (who had a strong game) had broke his arm ankle tapping Hurrell.

He will join Johnstone, Kay, Lyne, Tupou, Hall, Jowitt, Pitts on the sideline. That’s a full SL 1-5 sat in the stands and then some. 

The young lads in Murphy and Croft did very well today. 

Was a very entertaining game but such a cruel result as I thought for about 65 minutes of the 85 played that we were the best team and the defence was really in saints face. 

We will need to replicate that vs Cas.

You've got to be joking Taufua injured, I knew we had a serious injury but God he will be a miss, didn't know it was him. Since 2019 we must have been the unluckiest club with injuries...we all understand its an impact sport and a tough game and yes every club gets injurys but it go's under the radar how bad our club as been effected with injuries for the past 3 seasons - feel for W. Poaching., not got it easy that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

You've got to be joking Taufua injured, I knew we had a serious injury but God he will be a miss, didn't know it was him. Since 2019 we must have been the unluckiest club with injuries...we all understand its an impact sport and a tough game and yes every club gets injurys but it go's under the radar how bad our club as been effected with injuries for the past 3 seasons - feel for W. Poaching., not got it easy that's for sure.

We’ve had no luck at all, and no back line for most of the season, that’s why we’re in this position.

Up the Trin 

I wonder if Ganson will apologise to Wakefield like he's just done to Wigan. I doubt it. That was a knock on everyday of the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I wonder if Ganson will apologise to Wakefield like he's just done to Wigan. I doubt it. That was a knock on everyday of the week.

You do understand the definition of a knock on don't you in that the ball must be propelled forward and either hit the ground or a player who is ahead of where he first loses control of the ball ?? Surely even you with your anti Saints specs on can see the ball touches the ground well behind where Lomax was stood when he lost it.

Anyway, whinging Whino's aside, I don't think that result or performance should come as too big a shock. Wakey are desperate and literally fighting for their SL survival now they're bottom of the table. Saints are coming off the back of 3 tough games after having played 2nd, 3rd & 4th in consecutive weeks, so a drop off in performance was almost inevitable at some point in the weeks after that. I haven't seen the full match yet but it also appears that the weather played its part in an error strewn game.

I'm sure Wakey will be gutted at losing in that way but for Saints its another 2 points in the bag that has now all but secured a top 2 finish (can't see them losing 4 of the last 7 to drop out the top 2)

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

31 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You do understand the definition of a knock on don't you in that the ball must be propelled forward and either hit the ground or a player who is ahead of where he first loses control of the ball ?? Surely even you with your anti Saints specs on can see the ball touches the ground well behind where Lomax was stood when he lost it.

Anyway, whinging Whino's aside, I don't think that result or performance should come as too big a shock. Wakey are desperate and literally fighting for their SL survival now they're bottom of the table. Saints are coming off the back of 3 tough games after having played 2nd, 3rd & 4th in consecutive weeks, so a drop off in performance was almost inevitable at some point in the weeks after that. I haven't seen the full match yet but it also appears that the weather played its part in an error strewn game.

I'm sure Wakey will be gutted at losing in that way but for Saints its another 2 points in the bag that has now all but secured a top 2 finish (can't see them losing 4 of the last 7 to drop out the top 2)

... and I thought it was just forward passes people don't understand... 🤣

Tough to take, but we move on. Lino, one of the best goalkickers in the league, hits the post twice from the touchline and Saints, who have been struggling in that department, convert 2 from out wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Exactly, Hicks did the same during the TO v Salford match. Ball went backwards to the player behind but it was a knock on, Salford scored from the set off the scrum. Seems Saints got a bit lucky.

Not a knock on from my point of view, the ball quite obviously went backwards. Heart breaker of a result but positive signs for us which given what we’ve seen recently is a major upturn. It showed the players are up for the fight and if that is the case then u fancy us to stay up again, which i know will wind up some, but tough!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Loiner said:

You will be waiting a long time for an apology, ball goes over his shoulder and is bouncing behind his legs, Lomax spins round and picks the ball up facing his own posts.  You are seeing what you want to see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S.T.I.D. said:

You will be waiting a long time for an apology, ball goes over his shoulder and is bouncing behind his legs, Lomax spins round and picks the ball up facing his own posts.  You are seeing what you want to see.

Yeah I saw that too,but how many times do you see that given as a knock on. Loads is the answer. And by the way I didn't care who won or lost.

23 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Yeah I saw that too,but how many times do you see that given as a knock on. Loads is the answer. And by the way I didn't care who won or lost.

Most of the time its given as a knock on when the player over runs the ball, we see that quite a lot.  But Lomax is near enough static with one foot planted ready for the drop kick.  Don't like the golden point, a drae would be a fair result even then you could say Saints would have nicked 1 point.