The greatest Rugby League club team of all time?

18 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Don't think it was sinister, more a case of RL coming together to push our sport - regardless of which team they supported - just like when Sinfield came 2nd in the main vote a few years ago. 

“Sinister” was the word used by the captain of the golf team that claimed they should have won, that’s why I included it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Old Frightful said:

“Sinister” was the word used by the captain of the golf team that claimed they should have won, that’s why I included it.

Wasn't the Captin Ian Woosnam? - well he is Welsh so probably a RU fan🤣

• Like 2

On 20/07/2022 at 23:20, EastLondonMike said:

Wigan circa 92-94 were a fantastic side to watch, though did get beat by the Broncos in a WCC, a Broncos team that could also put a case forward.

And then beat the said Brisbane team in 1994.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

And then beat the said Brisbane team in 1994.

A somewhat depleted Wigan team also. Though that Wigan team wasn't as good as previous ones, IMO. A great performance on the night though.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 21/07/2022 at 03:17, Oxford said:

So St George announced that they were the greatest team of all time and a Sydney Journo agrees.

I must have misunderstood surely!

He was a former coach of the club don’t forget.

Edited by Sports Prophet

4 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

A somewhat depleted Wigan team also. Though that Wigan team wasn't as good as previous ones, IMO. A great performance on the night though.

They can't of been that good even we beat Wigan at Central Park in early 94. 20-13 I seem to remember Gary Spencer scoring and Henry Paul scoring the winner...wonder where he went after that 🤔 

• 2 weeks later...

The 90's Wigan team that beat the all conquering Brisbane Broncos in their own back yard would be somewhere up there for me.

That game also provided me with one of my all time fave commentary snippets from Ray Warren :

"The ball went to big Mather and he treated Offiah with distain..."You're joking" he said "This one's mine"

Or summat like that anyway...

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2007 Melbourne Storm would take some beating. 

Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith.

Probably only eclipsed by the 1997 Broncos. 

Langer, Lockyer, Webke, Sailor, Renouf, Hancock, De Vere, Tallis, Gee, Walters, Thorn, Carrol and coached by Wayne Bennett.

new rise.jpg

29 minutes ago, Pulga said:

2007 Melbourne Storm would take some beating. 

Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith.

Probably only eclipsed by the 1997 Broncos. 

Langer, Lockyer, Webke, Sailor, Renouf, Hancock, De Vere, Tallis, Gee, Walters, Thorn, Carrol and coached by Wayne Bennett.

Saying the 07 Storm are the greatest ever club side is like saying Lance Armstrong is the greatest ever cyclist.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Saying the 07 Storm are the greatest ever club side is like saying Lance Armstrong is the greatest ever cyclist.

Was there a salary cap before the ESL? It certainly isn't equal footing now as only a few spend to the cap.

The '97 Broncos were probably the richest team Australia has ever seen.

new rise.jpg

18 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Yeah I did it in two minutes. Dave would have to be in there, yes, and then a choice between Andy Greg and Shaun for 7. Greg was the better halfback, but Shaun did more for Wigan. 

Been watching loads of 90s Wigan lately. Andy Platt is so underrated as a great isn't he

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I’d put that down to your lack of knowledge rather than Huddart’s talent to be fair.

As a Rugby League child of the 80's, I hadn't heard of Dick Huddart till he was mentioned on here the first time a while back.  I then spent some time reading about his career, the reviews of his quality and some interviews.

It is one of the joys of being on here that you can learn more about our sport, its teams and players... and thentake that further.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

As a Rugby League child of the 80's, I hadn't heard of Dick Huddart till he was mentioned on here the first time a while back.  I then spent some time reading about his career, the reviews of his quality and some interviews.

It is one of the joys of being on here that you can learn more about our sport, its teams and players... and thentake that further.

There was a really good short documentary on the RL Cares Facebook page featuring game footage of the 62 tour & interviews several years after with some of the players,in it future Aussie immortals Raper & Gasnier pointed out how they’d never faced forwards as big and as quick as Huddart & fellow Cumbrian Edgar & they simply couldn’t handle them.

On 20/07/2022 at 22:22, Richard de la Riviere said:

That’s a good team but very little between that and a potential Wigan 13:

J Sullivan, Boston, Ashton, Bell, Offiah, Kenny, Gregory, McTigue, Egan, Platt, Ashurst, Farrell, Hanley. 

Dean Bell was as tough as teak and a great leader but in terms of ability he wasn't in the same league as Gene Miles.

• Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Dean Bell was as tough as teak and a great leader but in terms of ability he wasn't in the same league as Gene Miles.

I suppose when selecting an all time greatest side you have to strike a balance between those players who came in short term & made an instant impact with those who’s impact was maybe of a lesser nature but more beneficial to the club long term.

Gene Myles combination with Offiah for that one season really was unplayable.

57 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Gene Myles combination with Offiah for that one season really was unplayable.

That could be the greatest centre winger combination ever.

Miles was the ultimate wingers centre and Offiah arguably the best finisher of all time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris