Lachlan Lam

I really enjoy the 'holier than thou' posts whenever a Championship team signs a player.  They're either overseas (so not welcome) or has-beens, or never-weres.  I wish we in the championship could be as perfect as the SL teams that these posters follow, but the comfort of being at the top table creates a great attitude to those aspiring to join them.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I really enjoy the 'holier than thou' posts whenever a Championship team signs a player.  They're either overseas (so not welcome) or has-beens, or never-weres.  I wish we in the championship could be as perfect as the SL teams that these posters follow, but the comfort of being at the top table creates a great attitude to those aspiring to join them.

People can correct me, but I don't think Leigh would be able to field the teams they are currently putting out in SL due to the number of overseas players? I believe there in no restriction on overseas players in the Championship. Therefore both Leigh and Featherstone could field 1-17 overseas players in the Championship GF. 

Both clubs are sticking within the rules. Well, the rules that don't exist.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Another overseas player and another Leigh player thrown on the sidings

Apparently he has a British passport, and he has signed till the end of '23. Considering he is a halfback, Leigh have already retained both the incumbents 6 & 7 for next season so nobody being ousted just the squad preparing for life in the top division (hopefully).

In one short sentance you very well may have been misinformed twice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Apparently he has a British passport, and he has signed till the end of '23. Considering he is a halfback, Leigh have already retained both the incumbents 6 & 7 for next season so nobody being ousted just the squad preparing for life in the top division (hopefully).

In one short sentance you very well may have been misinformed twice.

He is a great signing. But to pretend he is British is a bit far fetched.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

People can correct me, but I don't think Leigh would be able to field the teams they are currently putting out in SL due to the number of overseas players? I believe there in no restriction on overseas players in the Championship. Therefore both Leigh and Featherstone could field 1-17 overseas players in the Championship GF. 

Very correct, Leigh will have to replace a number of overseas player's for next season, but by doing so money that is already being paid will be made available for the new recruits.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Very correct, Leigh will have to replace a number of overseas player's for next season, but by doing so money that is already being paid will be made available for the new recruits.

I don't disagree with the policy Harry. Leigh are doing what they can to get up. But it is pretty ridiculous that the Championship and League 1 (which is arguably the development part of our pro game) has left itself so open to abuse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Exactly, they're not in SL.  But that doesn't prevent the contunious criticism if they bring in an overseas player, but of course we're all aware that SL teams wouldn't do the same under the same circumstances (that last bit was sarcasm).

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't disagree with the policy Harry. Leigh are doing what they can to get up. But it is pretty ridiculous that the Championship and League 1 (which is arguably the development part of our pro game) has left itself so open to abuse.

It must be all part of Mr Beaumont's bigger plan, do his utmost to try to gain promotion in these times when no one knows what is going on is it not better to be in SL than on the outside?

Fev began recruiting for this season much earlier than Leigh, and most likely took the better of the talent that was available, as a Leigh fan and Leigh's lack of building a squad I must say I was very wary of what the season would bring, but I overlooked the most astute signing that Mr Beaumont made being Adrian Lam,  no way on this earth could any other coach have got the players to the club that Mr Lam has done.

In fact that's two teams that Mr Lam has been so influential for this season both in the Wigan Borough, it was he who took both French and Field to Wigan, would they be the same without these two this season?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is odd that they don't have the same quota in the Championship, as SL. But can understand the recruitment within the (lack of) constraints. Chester and Lam had a relatively short space of time to assemble a full time squad, so used the overseas market as best they could. There are reports of us signing Davis and Mulhern from Warrington, having already signed Charnley, so it looks like work is being done to reduce the number of overseas players, irrespective of what league we are in next year.

Of the current overseas players, it's likely that Inu will retire, Ferguson seek a bigger club, Hitchcox, Hingano, Ioane will probably be moved on. There'll be a decision to be made on the likes of Aetkins, Stone and O'Donnell. But I feel better knowing that those decisions will be made by Chris Chester and Adriam Lam, rather than Derek Beaumont and Neil Jukes.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

It must be all part of Mr Beaumont's bigger plan, do his utmost to try to gain promotion in these times when no one knows what is going on is it not better to be in SL than on the outside?

Fev began recruiting for this season much earlier than Leigh, and most likely took the better of the talent that was available, as a Leigh fan and Leigh's lack of building a squad I must say I was very wary of what the season would bring, but I overlooked the most astute signing that Mr Beaumont made being Adrian Lam,  no way on this earth could any other coach have got the players to the club that Mr Lam has done.

In fact that's two teams that Mr Lam has been so influential for this season both in the Wigan Borough, it was he who took both French and Field to the JJB,  would Wigan be the same without these two this season?

Yes Derek has found a loophole and may continue loading the team with short term overseas signings to get promotion - full on #### or bust (or calculated risk taking whatever you want to call it).

But the team will have to be dismantled to actually play in SL in 2023 and may be a lot weaker for it. Again, I'm sure he has a plan - at the moment it seems to be get inside the tent at all costs as you say. Fair play to him, it's his investment.

• Like 1

Out of interest, how many overseas players are signed up for next year for Leigh? Ipape and Lam certainly are, so there’s only room for 5-6 more, I think. Just curious to see what they’re working with for next year, regardless of what league they’ll be in. 

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes Derek has found a loophole and may continue loading the team with short term overseas signings to get promotion - full on #### or bust (or calculated risk taking whatever you want to call it).

But the team will have to be dismantled to actually play in SL in 2023 and may be a lot weaker for it. Again, I'm sure he has a plan - at the moment it seems to be get inside the tent at all costs as you say. Fair play to him, it's his investment.

He has already stated, if he doesn't get up this season he is going to go round again next.

Maybe there is another advantage, with some of the quality that will hopefully be remaining at Leigh, (like phiggins says above) will that not be a lever for better player's to sign next season other than having just a bunch of Championship lads at the club, I hope so.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Does not look like Adrian Lam is going anywhere else anytime soon. Like was said when Ferguson signed. But some still need telling that over and over again.

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Out of interest, how many overseas players are signed up for next year for Leigh? Ipape and Lam certainly are, so there’s only room for 5-6 more, I think. Just curious to see what they’re working with for next year, regardless of what league they’ll be in. 

On the dotted line ....... I couldn't tell you, I know who my preferences would be though, but the club can't bend these rules so they will work within them, good times to be a Leigh fan - hopefully Lam is the final piece in the jigsaw for the battle for promotion.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He has already stated, if he doesn't get up this season he is going to go round again next.

Maybe there is another advantage, with some of the quality that will hopefully be remaining at Leigh, (like phiggins says above) will that not be a lever for better player's to sign next season other than having just a bunch of Championship lads at the club, I hope so.

With no parachute payment in 2023 that really is #### or bust