France U17 v England U17

So, believe me, I am not trying to undermine the French performance here but are these the English kids in the professional Academy programmes or outside as it is listed on Twitter as the England Community Lions.

I am just trying to understand the significance on this win.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, believe me, I am not trying to undermine the French performance here but are these the English kids in the professional Academy programmes or outside as it is listed on Twitter as the England Community Lions.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it community players against French academy players or like for like?

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Community Lions from amateur clubs, a lad from our local village team was playing for England.

• Thanks 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Where do you think the French kids are from? All these kids on both sides are in Y11 and Y12 at school.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Where do you think the French kids are from? All these kids on both sides are in Y11 and Y12 at school.

I would imagine the French kids are from France.

My point though is that of the English team doesn't contain any players attached to the professional Acadamies then it is not the top talent at the age group.

I am simply trying to establish the make up of the teams.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would imagine the French kids are from France.

My point though is that of the English team doesn't contain any players attached to the professional Acadamies then it is not the top talent at the age group.

I am simply trying to establish the make up of the teams.

Fair enough. It's pretty obvious these English kids are from community clubs. The trip has probably been funded via ARL sources. 50-10 probably shows that too

Very good that this game has been played but it would be interesting to see the full-strength England Academy v France youth as well.

Vaguely recall an u16s one a couple of years ago that wasn't too far apart, from memory Bailey Hodgson and Cesar Rouge featured.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fair enough. It's pretty obvious these English kids are from community clubs. The trip has probably been funded via ARL sources. 50-10 probably shows that too

It is yes, but are they only community club players or are they also in the pro club development systems.  I don't know when or how players stop playing for community clubs when they sign up to a pro Academy. 

When you see the team sheet for the Academy team that last beat the Australian Schoolboys, their community clubs are listed as well.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54061/report-england-academy---australian-schoolboys

Again, I don't know, so asking.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XPe8ND7tdP2x2hrr5

My son on the left (15 years old ) and his mate(16 years ) who I've coached since under 7s, proud night tonight even if it wasn't against the academy players, when you compare the playing numbers of the two countries it's a decent result! 

The English are a big aggressive side, the French a lot smaller but more than held their own in the middle, 

• Like 16

6 hours ago, barnyia said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XPe8ND7tdP2x2hrr5

My son on the left (15 years old ) and his mate(16 years ) who I've coached since under 7s, proud night tonight even if it wasn't against the academy players, when you compare the playing numbers of the two countries it's a decent result! 

The English are a big aggressive side, the French a lot smaller but more than held their own in the middle, 

It is a great result.  You should be very proud.

Please don't take my comments as anything more than understanding the systems over here.

• Like 1

Well done to France. A superb result.

The fact that we don't really know which England team this is until someone explains it does speak to a lot of wider issues within rugby league here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I understand your comments I know it was the community lions, normally the French u17 play the England u16s with all the scholarship/signed players, this time it's the u17 and most of this team are playing u18s amateur and I read a few are playing national conference open age, the French players are all born in 2005 except the two on the photo (2006) and there's a squad member who didn't get picked last night who was born in 2007. 

They can only play the team they put up against them. 

The heat played it's part as it was still 34 degrees when they played, I was sweating just sitting in the stands. The difference in size was amazing between the two teams, the English had some big aggressive lads. 

Around 2000 spectators, a marching band who carried on playing all through the game and we'll into the night, it was a great French atmosphere!!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was wrong, the u16 game in 2019 I was thinking of wasn't all that close but closer than this game, result was 36-12 to England. 

In 2018 France u16s beat England Academy U16s in both games when they toured France, this England side contained the likes of Rushton, Dodd, Thewlis, Longstaff, Wrench.

In 2017 France u18s also beat an England Academy side featuring the likes Mikolaj Oledski, Danny Walker and Harry Smith with the result being 31-26.

• Like 1

The difference between 2022 and 2002 is that scouts from 2 fully professional French clubs would be watching and taking on some of the most talented guys on their pathways. France has always produced young players who are competitive at youth level. They have not had the route into become full time pros like they have now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The difference between 2022 and 2002 is that scouts from 2 fully professional French clubs would be watching and taking on some of the most talented guys on their pathways. France has always produced young players who are competitive at youth level. They have not had the route into become full time pros like they have now.

That would be too simple, they don't have pathways just a come and play for us if you want to ,but only  if your club will release you pathway, the French pass there exams at 18 so it's complicated to upsticks and move to Toulouse or Perpignan. The English go into academies and fully pro clubs and the French go into semi pro or almost amateur clubs and train twice a week with their mates, get a bit upset at not getting a game in elite and end up in the lower division to play and get free beer afterwards. 

The French squad was made up with players from carcassonne, Carpentras, Lyon (who send their best players to Carpentras they're a fused club) salon, baho, xiii Catalan, limoux, Lézignan, Toulouse, Villeneuve, So a good mix of clubs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It is yes, but are they only community club players or are they also in the pro club development systems.  I don't know when or how players stop playing for community clubs when they sign up to a pro Academy. 

When you see the team sheet for the Academy team that last beat the Australian Schoolboys, their community clubs are listed as well.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54061/report-england-academy---australian-schoolboys

Again, I don't know, so asking.

It’s been several years since my son played Community Lions U17 but back then a large number had player in Superleague scholarship,a couple George Lawler & Liam Marshall are still in Superleague & quite a few went onto play semi pro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2