McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

We have had and could, in future, get another source of revenue through a TV deal because of Catalans Dragons. I like Huddersfield and I wish they could double their average attendance but I struggle to see what additional revenue streams they could bring to the sport, right now. 

• Like 2

Just now, daz39 said:

Owner yes, man who runs it and has the final decisions no. He employs a CEO as do most business owners.

And a CEO does the bidding of his master. Please don't try and tell me that the CEO is saying a completely different thing than what Davy wants when representing Huddersfield because we all know that's nonsense. Especially when Davys views are well known to tally with this.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Now this news has been 'leaked', those who agree with McNamara will say the leak was justified and and Giant's position outrageous. 

Those who disagree will focus on the leak itself.

This way, everyone has their talking points, people can slag each other off in public and the end result is the sport of Rugby League looking petty and amateurish.

We have to up our level of professionalism a few thousandfold.

There's an issue here too about how it plays to IMG.

You need to be able to have serious discussions and trust everyone to keep the confidential bits confidential, not least because, you would imagine, a lot of what is being discussed includes hypothetical 'scorched earth' scenarios.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Even if that meant you could never rejoin the top tier ?

Yes.

I may be in a very small minority.  I have followed Cas for fifty years but I still put the health and future of the game above my club.  We are only custodians of the game it is our collective responsibility to leave a stronger game for future followers.  This is our chance.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

We have had and could, in future, get another source of revenue through a TV deal because of Catalans Dragons. I like Huddersfield and I wish they could double their average attendance but I struggle to see what additional revenue streams they could bring to the sport, right now. 

Please tell me as I don't know the answer, what is the reluctance of the French TV/Broadcasters doing a deal with the sport in France, and especially this season as they could have increased their 'airtime' by 100% with having 2 teams in SL, now don't take this the wrong way it is a reasonable question, is there the appetite amongst the French viewing public for the TV companies to turn a profit for their outlay, if not then that is reason enough that there is no TV deal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The lack of proper governance really holds the sport back and sews a lot of mistrust.

Alternatively they are working by the Homer Simpson principle of : " It was stupidity that got us into this situation, and it will be stupidity that gets us out ".

Edited by The Rocket
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please tell me as I don't know the answer, what is the reluctance of the French TV/Broadcasters doing a deal with the sport in France, and especially this season as they could have increased their 'airtime' by 100% with having 2 teams in SL, now don't take this the wrong way it is a reasonable question, is there the appetite amongst the French viewing public for the TV companies to turn a profit for their outlay, if not then that is reason enough that there is no TV deal.

I’ve no idea, I’ve not been part of any discussions but we went from having every Catalans home game broadcast and also provided to Sky to zero. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Mac should be dragged over the coals by the RFL and IMG for leaking what was said in a "closed doors" meeting, I am sure going forward with meetings involving the Clubs, RFL and IMG there are going to be many instances which will not suit or even be of a radical nature to some of the participants, but it should remain in the meeting room, I think Mr Mac has shown a vast amount of immaturity and a complete lack of common sense with this disclosure.

Wasn’t the meeting between IMG & officials of the Huddersfield Giants,maybe they’d be better off looking closer to home for the source of the leek.

Im pretty sure if something similar happened to your club,your esteemed owner wouldn’t just let it go.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

And a CEO does the bidding of his master. Please don't try and tell me that the CEO is saying a completely different thing than what Davy wants when representing Huddersfield because we all know that's nonsense. Especially when Davys views are well known to tally with this.

I am not saying you are wrong Damien in fact I would say you are very correct, but to many people on here were very quick to criticise Robert Elstone but what you have just described is exactly the same scenario with the SL's upper echelon and their employee.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Alternatively they are working by the Homer Simpson principle of : " It was stupidity that got us into this situation, and it will be stupidity that gets us out ".

Are the NRL happy to bring in new teams that don't bring any actual financial benefits to the competition and therefore the other existing clubs ?

Surely if that's the case , then Port Moresby in the NRL would be brilliant , said the bloke from the other side of the planet 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Are the NRL happy to bring in new teams that don't bring any actual financial benefits to the competition and therefore the other existing clubs ?

Surely if that's the case , then Port Moresby in the NRL would be brilliant , said the bloke from the other side of the planet 

I was having a joke you sook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I suspect there's several factors:

1. Perpignan isn't that big. It would be like having a team in Hull as the only English representation in an equivalent competition elsewhere. Toulouse however is far more significant in that regard.

2. RL in general isn't as popular.

3. No broadcasting company is going to sign multi year deals with Super League when their prized asset in the competition could be dropped or relegated at any moment. That makes them less committed, promote the sport less, and in turn the sport is further from their minds when deciding the future of channels going forwards.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am not saying you are wrong Damien in fact I would say you are very correct, but to many people on here were very quick to criticise Robert Elstone but what you have just described is exactly the same scenario with the SL's upper echelon and their employee.

I have no personal axe to grind about Elstone, unlike some who do think it was a personal failing, but you're right in that he was independent of the clubs in that he wasn't from any of them, and he was also utterly powerless if they didn't want to follow his direction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who do you suggest should hold the position ?

Based on that criteria and general positioning within the game, if it has to be existing club chairmen then McManus and Hetherington stand out. FWIW Jon Flatman formerly of York could be another given his recent experience and the nature of the role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ve no idea, I’ve not been part of any discussions but we went from having every Catalans home game broadcast and also provided to Sky to zero. 

You said "we have had and could, in future" have a TV deal because of Catalan, it is no surprise to me that you have not been involved in any discussions, but because of your optimism - and many many others on here - that there is a TV deal awaiting to be had in France to bolster the RFL/SL coffers I assumed - wrongly - that you may have been better advised.

Wasn't it only a couple of years ago that with the expected promotion of Toulouse it was a nailed on by many on here that the game would benefit enormously by the expected TV deal in France now that they will have two SL clubs?

I would say that some preliminary work has been done by the French TV companies and If there was a profit to be had for them they would have signed up by now.

45 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks TG for the comment.

I was hoping that those attending would choose to start with a blank sheet of paper and develop a framework for going forward ……. by God I must still believe in Father Christmas

To me it truly is gut wrenching, but all too believable, that clubs continue to put their sole concerns before anything else and appear to be deaf, dumb and blind by furiously scrapping for a greater slice of the diminishing returns than choose a different way which may provide greater returns for all.

My club Cas are one of those clubs that are not guaranteed to be in, for example, a 10 team league and I would accept that if the outcome is more beneficial for the future whole game that what we have at the moment. How many others on this Forum would say the same ……. not many I assume.

I understand that essentially IMG asked participants to state their opinions and thoughts on the game at present, both specifically their position, their wider league, and the sport more broadly. Naturally these discussions wind and weave over the course of a meeting, and international participation was discussed.

It was a hustings or information gathering exercise rather than a specific "plan for the future" proposal meeting. I know French RUs transformation (specifically in relation to the second division and how that has strengthened and grown geographically in the past 20 years, rather than the millionaires at Toulon) was mentioned, though it was not discussed to any great detail during one of the meetings.

I get the sense that IMG are just trying to get a feel for the sport currently.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wasn’t the meeting between IMG & officials of the Huddersfield Giants,maybe they’d be better off looking closer to home for the source of the leek.

Im pretty sure if something similar happened to your club,your esteemed owner wouldn’t just let it go.

Doing your stalking bit again, throughout the thread there as been no mention of my club or its owner.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Knowing them both in a 'working' and personal capacity i have an idea of what goes on at the top of my club.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No broadcasting company is going to sign multi year deals with Super League when their prized asset in the competition could be dropped or relegated at any moment. That makes them less committed, promote the sport less, and in turn the sport is further from their minds when deciding the future of channels going forwards.

You snook your obsession of "protection" from relegation in very nicely there Tommy, well done.

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Unless you know the question asked , and the context of that question , you cannot know the exact context of the answer 

Correct but if Rugby League fans have even the smallest stick to beat another club with they will, in this day and age people form their opinions and stick to it whether they know the truth or not, if it's written on the internet then it must be true !!!!

• Thanks 1