McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Doing your stalking bit again, throughout the thread there as been no mention of my club or its owner.

Stalking ?? Sorry I thought this was a discussion forum and as you were quick to get on your high horse to criticise McNamara,I’m merely posing the question,do you think your own or any other heartland club would just let a similar attack on their clubs go unanswered.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I most sincerely hope not, even if my club by some Act of God found itself locked in there.

Wouldn’t Leigh be able to plan it’s future with more certainty?

Don’t wish to derail the discussion too much.

Edit: sorry for the use of the word rail 😉

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

3 is the crucial one.  We either go franchising or p and r to french leagues to guarantee a french tv company will have a certain number of french teams .

But nationally is there a market in France, I will put it another way if everyone who walked through the turnstiles at Elite 1&2 clubs or even had an interest in RL and subscribed would it be enough to temp the TV companies?

Edited by Harry Stottle

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Stalking ?? Sorry I thought this was a discussion forum and as you were quick to get on your high horse to criticise McNamara,I’m merely posing the question,do you think your own or any other heartland club would just let a similar attack on their clubs go unanswered.

Yes, they would be better advised to considering that the meeting was not for the public domain, maybe there should be a NDA all participant's who enter the meeting should sign so information remains confidential until it is decided to release it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

the discussion really should be out in the open.

An excellent way of ensuring the continuation of exactly what we have now.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If I am coach and someone tried to effectively kill my club eradicating my legacy,  i wouldnt be quiet about it either. 

This actually shouldnt be done privately at all, the discussion really should be out in the open.

Yeah agreed there are no proper channels for discussing a strategic review at all except a coach spouting post game about the opposition after a close top4 match.

completely professional approach.

Edited by FearTheVee

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I do believe you may very well be correct in that "depressing" news will be what will come about for the majority of the 37 pro and semi pro clubs.

IMG who I believe are only going to be recompensed by a percentage of what the sport will profit by when their recommendations are implemented had better be mindful that Rugby League is a structure like a pyramid with only the top few layers being the pinnicle of the sport in this country, >90% in all it's forms provides the tools that the top simply cannot function without, if the foundations are compromised just to spend and concentrate on the shiney visible portion that could be a recipe for disaster, not immediate mind but like a weedkiller that immediatley makes the plant flourish until the poison takes over.

Ultimately Harry they are going to disappoint some people with their recommendations, you'll never please everybody. 

Their job is to maximise the financial potential of those recommendations. Idea being that the more money coming into the game the better the whole game is, or at least that more money can be spent on the grassroots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, they would be better advised to considering that the meeting was not for the public domain, maybe there should be a NDA all participant's who enter the meeting should sign so information remains confidential until it is decided to release it.

Your seriously saying that if leaked information about a meeting involving IMG & another club questioning their own clubs worth,the likes of Beaumont,Pearson etc would just take it on the chin & not speak out.

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I assume you are in Adelaide ?

Yes.  Moved here in 2006.

I was born in Cas in 1963.  Watched Cas from around 1971.  Followed them home and away from being old enough to drive and left the UK when I was 42 years of age.  

But what is your point?  Are you implying that because I live in Adelaide I should have no interest in what happens in SL?  Or that I do not know what is going on?  If so that is a pretty low shot.

I remember another well known poster on here implying the same a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Are the NRL happy to bring in new teams that don't bring any actual financial benefits to the competition and therefore the other existing clubs ?

Surely if that's the case , then Port Moresby in the NRL would be brilliant , said the bloke from the other side of the planet 

Catalans have been part of SL for 16 years FFS. They are ingrained in some of the special moments in the game's recent history. Been to Wembley twice, Old Trafford once and hold the record for the biggest ever SL attendance at 32k. Were it not for Catalans we would have never seen some of those top NRL players like Stacey Jones and James Maloney in SL because other clubs couldn't afford them. The have also had more home games broadcast on Sky in the last 10-15 years than any other SL club.

I can't believe I have to write this!

Going by some of Catlans signing for 2023 and with a couple more in the pipeline, I think there is a cold reality that they are going to be a top 4 club for the next decade. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Why can they make those signings? Because the have the highest turnover in SL - you know real money!!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I most sincerely hope not, even if my club by some Act of God found itself locked in there.

I fear you are at odds with DB on this one H. 

Perhaps at least exemplifying why each stakeholder involved should be more public with their initial position. Ultimately chairmen etc are just custodians of clubs, fans will be there before and after their times at the helm, they should be aware of what their hairmen are advocating on behalf of their club, and practically in their name.

• Like 1

What do Catalans bring to RL in England ?

Well, on a local level, in 2018 they helped York City Knights get a crowd of over 3,000 in the Challenge Cup when we were still only in League 1 (and live BBC coverage too). We gave them a bloody good game too, only losing 22-34. The match, and the local and national media coverage, was a big stepping stone for York, helping the club sustain increased home attendances, and no doubt making the club an attractive proposition for potential local sponsors.

And for Super League ? I seem to recall that on the back of their Challenge Cup win, Catalans played Wigan in the Nou Camp in Barcelona, in front of 35,000 spectators. On the back of that Betfred almost immediately increased its financial contribution as SLs lead sponsor, due to the coverage they got......

If clubs don't realise that increased media coverage (including FTA) and breaking out of the heartlands potentially offers a route to more money coming into the game, then we're in a poor place. Even the Premier Sports coverage gives Championship clubs the chance to shout out to their local community "look, we're on the telly!" and make an occasion of it.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Catalans have been part of SL for 16 years FFS. They are ingrained in some of the special moments in the game's recent history. Been to Wembley twice, Old Trafford once and hold the record for the biggest ever SL attendance at 32k. Were it not for Catalans we would have never seen some of those top NRL players like Stacey Jones and James Maloney in SL because other clubs couldn't afford them. The have also had more home games broadcast on Sky in the last 10-15 years than any other SL club.

London have been in for 42 years and we're still treated like guests at someone else's party.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You snook your obsession of "protection" from relegation in very nicely there Tommy, well done.

Not an obsession Harry, a practical fact. Without it we are stuck with annual arrangments for a handful of games which are worth less financially and in terms of broader value from the broadcaster.  

To add, this isn't just regarding relegation, this is about the status of French teams in Super League. Are they members, guests? Toronto were voted out, what is to stop the same happening to Catalans or Toulouse? 

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

All options are on the table. That means all options.

Agree with you about the dirty laundry aspect, though.

Aye, that part about not excluding French teams was my personal view, I'd build towards more personally. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes.  Moved here in 2006.

I was born in Cas in 1963.  Watched Cas from around 1971.  Followed them home and away from being old enough to drive and left the UK when I was 42 years of age.  

But what is your point?  Are you implying that because I live in Adelaide I should have no interest in what happens in SL?  Or that I do not know what is going on?  If so that is a pretty low shot.

I remember another well known poster on here implying the same a few years ago.

I’d say all of the above sadly,because obviously your only interaction with RL over here is tuning into BBC World Service in the early hours or by seeing a Pathe News broadcast in your local cinema.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

London have been in for 42 years and we're still treated like guests at someone else's party.

Where exactly is the boundary line drawn with this? Whitehaven admitted to the RLFC in 1949 are they safe?

Is it within 100 miles of the George Hotel?

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Where exactly is the boundary line drawn with this? Whitehaven admitted to the RLFC in 1949 are they safe?

We’ll it is a 3 hour bus journey,but maybe if we agree to pay the coach companies we’ll be ok.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

1948 to be accurate.

They are more than 100 miles from the George Hotel so definitely not safe

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Going by some of Catlans signing for 2023 and with a couple more in the pipeline, I think there is a cold reality that they are going to be a top 4 club for the next decade. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Why can they make those signings? Because the have the highest turnover in SL - you know real money!!

My dad and I were in the gym in Wakefield just after Catalans won the cup. A bloke in there said it was "disgusting" that a French team won the cup.

He didn’t like it when we asked what exactly Wakefield (his team) had achieved in the past 55 years in response...

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I fear you are at odds with DB on this one H. 

Perhaps at least exemplifying why each stakeholder involved should be more public with their initial position. Ultimately chairmen etc are just custodians of clubs, fans will be there before and after their times at the helm, they should be aware of what their hairmen are advocating on behalf of their club, and practically in their name.

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

It appears you go most weeks this year. What’s the difference?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not an obsession Harry, a practical fact. Without it we are stuck with annual arrangments for a handful of games which are worth less financially and in terms of broader value from the broadcaster.  

To add, this isn't just regarding relegation, this is about the status of French teams in Super League. Are they members, guests? Toronto were voted out, what is to stop the same happening to Catalans or Toulouse? 

Ensure they are high enough up the League ladder to avoid relegation, that's all.