McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I am well aware of what DB says on this subject Tommy.

But like me he has not canvassed all the supporters of the club so he doesn't as I don't what the consensus of feeling it would be, I have aired my views on it so many times,  personally I would not go to games that the outcome had no relevance.

Do you not think it prudent that when representing Leigh he takes on board the views of fans like yourself?

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’d say all of the above sadly,because obviously your only interaction with RL over here is tuning into BBC World Service in the early hours or by seeing a Pathe News broadcast in your local cinema.

Adelaide is said to be many years behind the rest of Australia so I await the arrival of Pathe News with great interest.  Is it one of those new-fangled ‘talkies’ that I have read about?  Does Harold Lloyd present it?

It’s a bit sad when your commitment to the game is questioned because you do not live next door to the club you support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Ensure they are high enough up the League ladder to avoid relegation, that's all.

Great, we'll give half funding to a group of clubs at the bottom then? Sure that'll be dead popular.

• Like 1

The decision makers in all this need to make SL more attractive than it currently is to attract a bigger TV deal and more sponsors. To do this SL needs more big clubs getting good attendances and capable of spending not just up to the current salary cap but beyond it. Catalans are absolutely one of our big clubs by any measure.

We need more and this process should seek to allow the big clubs to prosper and to create the conditions to facilitate others joining that bracket. To do this standards need to be lifted across the board because lets face it just about everything can be done better. A bar needs to be set and no more pandering to the lowest common denominator. Other sports have standards, such as Football and RU, and its about time RL gets serious about them again. SL should be an elite competition for goodness sake not a kids sports day where everyone gets a go.

It also should not be forgotten that a strong SL benefits the entire sport and funds the entire pyramid. When it is weakened the entire sport suffers. Thats what has led us to this state and IMG now. A grown up discussion needs to take place regarding that but that should not be led by self interest. We unfortunately are obviously seeing that already and thats hopefully where IMG can make the difference that we haven't seen before. I hope this is going to be a proper engagement though because one focused on the English professional clubs is going to be awfully skewed.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

That’s not a denial and it was a group meeting which presumably a number if not all clubs were present

All clubs were present, or rather all clubs of each league were present at each league's individual meeting with IMG.

People forget what an astute idea it was to form the club as Catalans back in 2004/5 which meant they could tap into regional support and commercial income. That allowed them to break the SL record attendance and to achieve the highest turnover in SL.

Had they been as short-sighted as some they would have just named themselves Perpignan to keep in with the small town theme.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

People forget what an astute idea it was to form the club as Catalans back in 2004/5 which meant they could tap into regional support and commercial income. That allowed them to break the SL record attendance and to achieve the highest turnover in SL.

Had they been as short-sighted as some they would have just named themselves Perpignan to keep in with the small town theme.

They'd have kept St Esteve more like

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It appears you go most weeks this year. What’s the difference?

Actually Juggy I have been selective in the games I am attending this season, I would have normally travelled to all the away games but expected walkovers don't appeal, but nevertheless I will be at the remaining home games and hope that York and Batley can bring their A game along, albeit I expect Widnes and Newcastle will not offer a great deal if opposition, but I hope I am wrong.

Has anyone bothered to work with Catalans and ask them how they manage to keep paying the full cap with top marquee players and generate more commercial income than any other club? That would be a French club helping northern English clubs generate more income - yes?

Or do a lot of SL clubs simply want a TV central distribution hand out without having to work for it?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My views may well differ from a lot of others Tommy, 

They may well not as well.

How many people stopped going to Leigh games during licensing? That may give a rough idea.

I know I certainly wouldn't want my club chairman going round saying something which only has clout because of having thousands of fans like myself associated with the club he is steward of, if I didn't agree with it.

10 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Adelaide is said to be many years behind the rest of Australia so I await the arrival of Pathe News with great interest.  Is it one of those new-fangled ‘talkies’ that I have read about?  Does Harold Lloyd present it?

It’s a bit sad when your commitment to the game is questioned because you do not live next door to the club you support.

Thankfully it’s from a very small section of posters who do seem to be from the same location.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I understand that essentially IMG asked participants to state their opinions and thoughts on the game at present, both specifically their position, their wider league, and the sport more broadly. Naturally these discussions wind and weave over the course of a meeting, and international participation was discussed.

It was a hustings or information gathering exercise rather than a specific "plan for the future" proposal meeting. I know French RUs transformation (specifically in relation to the second division and how that has strengthened and grown geographically in the past 20 years, rather than the millionaires at Toulon) was mentioned, though it was not discussed to any great detail during one of the meetings.

I get the sense that IMG are just trying to get a feel for the sport currently.

Totally agree.

They are on a fact /opinion finding exercise. They have also already  spoken to the Community Board to  assess views across the piste.

Remember they were brought in to advise on how to make RL richer and more appealing which in turn means finding ways to overcome the impasse created by  conservatives/ traditionalists whose views are currently accused of having  been holding TGG back.

Expect nothing until the World Cup is over but their own self imposed time line for recommendations is January 2023.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, del capo said:

Totally agree.

They are on a fact /opinion finding exercise. They have also already  spoken to the Community Board to  assess views across the piste.

Remember they were brought in to advise on how to make RL richer and more appealing which in turn means finding ways to overcome the impasse created by  conservatives/ traditionalists whose views are currently accused of having  been holding TGG back.

Expect nothing until the World Cup is over but their own self imposed time line for recommendations is January 2023.......

Absolutely. If they were anything like me, they would hear a lot of this stuff at the meetings and think they're going down a blind alley to a dead end.

1 minute ago, del capo said:

Totally agree.

In addition, I assume the community clubs have been informed of the impending insurance hike the game is facing?

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Has anyone bothered to work with Catalans and ask them how they manage to keep paying the full cap with top marquee players and generate more commercial income than any other club? That would be a French club helping northern English clubs generate more income - yes?

Or do a lot of SL clubs simply want a TV central distribution hand out without having to work for it?

Bernard Guasch sells lots of chops and chitterling sausages!🤫

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

In addition, I assume the community clubs have been informed of the impending insurance hike the game is facing?

I believe the present insurance arrangements under the membership scheme means that the RFL pick up the tab.

Just now, del capo said:

I believe the present insurance arrangements under the membership scheme means that the RFL pick up the tab.

Fair enough, perhaps it was painted in more black and white terms to the pro clubs then, given ultimately they will burden an element of it.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bernard Guasch sells lots of chops and chitterling sausages!🤫

What has that got to do with commercial income and turnover? That would be directors loans which you are familiar with supporting the club you do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They may well not as well.

How many people stopped going to Leigh games during licensing? That may give a rough idea.

I know I certainly wouldn't want my club chairman going round saying something which only has clout because of having thousands of fans like myself associated with the club he is steward of, if I didn't agree with it.

Quite a good number Tommy at one point it was down to just about 1,000, but it did get somewhat of a resurgence when we entered SL, averaging 6,500 per game with about 5,500 of those home fans, and in a season we were relegated.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

All clubs were present, or rather all clubs of each league were present at each league's individual meeting with IMG.

Thanks.

Now I am no Mystic Meg but I would hazard a guess that:-

1. The top 6/7 clubs in terms of income generation within SL were more open to discussions about new structures because they would automatically be accepted and also view the possible additional monetised opportunities that may eventuate on the back of this.

2. The bottom 5/6 clubs in SL plus some of the more progressive clubs in the Championship probably want to preserve the status quo as quite rightly they are concerned that they may not be chosen to participate in a new structure.

3. Smaller Championship and League 1 clubs that see their immediate to short term future as semi-professional will want to know what guarantees they have in terms of survival in whatever structure and the level of income they will get to survive.

I have no idea how IMG can satisfy all of the above unless they keep the status quo but somehow manage to sell the game and add-ons for far more that at present.  Is that possible?

• Like 2