McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Apart from their one idea of cheap tickets, devaluing the sport in the future, how do Huddersfield grow their supporter base?

This kind of ties in to the point I made earlier, how do a club like Huddersfield turn into a big club consistently getting 8k with the odd 5 figure bumper crowd? It's not really a satisfactory answer Huddersfield fans just saying it's a football town and people aren't interested. If they can't do it that's fine but that's not the level SL should be pitched at when it comes to decisions on salary cap, standards etc.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks.

Now I am no Mystic Meg but I would hazard a guess that:-

1. The top 6/7 clubs in terms of income generation within SL were more open to discussions about new structures because they would automatically be accepted and also view the possible additional monetised opportunities that may eventuate on the back of this.

2. The bottom 5/6 clubs in SL plus some of the more progressive clubs in the Championship probably want to preserve the status quo as quite rightly they are concerned that they may not be chosen to participate in a new structure.

3. Smaller Championship and League 1 clubs that see their immediate to short term future as semi-professional will want to know what guarantees they have in terms of survival in whatever structure and the level of income they will get to survive.

I have no idea how IMG can satisfy all of the above unless they keep the status quo but somehow manage to sell the game and add-ons for far more that at present.  Is that possible?

As ever the problem is that middle group.

If League 1 and much of the Championship, who are unlikely ever to be in Super League - indeed it would financially cripple many - are pretty happy going along as semi pro recreational teams playing to semi pro audiences as proper community clubs.

The middle group are a group who are stuffed. Some think they are capable of becoming the top group but haven't been able to (not always their own fault), most would really struggle to adapt to the League 1 style club level.

The argument may well fall down to which of those middle group clubs should be prioritised to the top division for a variety of reasons, and which should be guided to the community approach.

• Like 1

Just now, Damien said:

This kind of ties in to the point I made earlier, how do a club like Huddersfield turn into a big club consistently getting 8k with the odd 5 figure bumper crowd? It's not really a satisfactory answer Huddersfield fans just saying it's a football town and people aren't interested. If they can't do it that's fine but that's not the level SL should be pitched at when it comes to decisions on salary cap, standards etc.

Yes it does feel that way. Hitting dead ends and feel they have a glass ceiling. So their solution seems to be to try to devalue a club born out of 2 small French village/town teams with just a few hundred spectators (before they came together and joined SL). Bottom to the top in terms of NH club revenue inside 17 years. Interesting eh?

• Like 1

Emotions removed but the fact is 17 years after being placed on the top table and given privilege to remain there, no paid for French tv deal is forthcoming and as such sponge off the British game.

There is room for 12 British clubs and two French today if the French self funded and the probability of more subs for the sponsor with the 2 extra teams fans

Commercial benefits and game ‘potential’ benefits are 2 different beasts

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Emotions removed but the fact is 17 years after being placed on the top table and given privilege to remain there, no paid for French tv deal is forthcoming and as such sponge off the British game.

There is room for 12 British clubs and two French today if the French self funded and the probability of more subs for the sponsor with the 2 extra teams fans

Sky have paid hundreds of millions of pounds to RL in the last 15-20 years. They have probably shown almost double the number of Catalans home games than any other club over the last 10-15 years. Can you explain this please in terms of value and non value? Thanks.

I love spreadsheets if you want to go down that route.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

If I am coach and someone tried to effectively kill my club eradicating my legacy,  i wouldnt be quiet about it either. 

This actually shouldnt be done privately at all, the discussion really should be out in the open.

Quite. My club turned up at a meeting last year to find that another club (one which incidentally has gone bust so far three times in our history) in their league had put forward proposals to throw them and two other clubs out of the league. All the lobbying was done behind closed doors rather than that club having the courage of their convictions and being open about it. Why should my club play to their game and keep it secret?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Sky have paid hundreds of millions of pounds to RL in the last 15-20 years. They have probably shown almost double the number of Catalans home games than any other club over the last 10-15 years. Can you explain this please in terms of value and non value? Thanks.

Really that blinkered? How much means, how much quantifiable cash do they put in the RL pot and after 17 years should they have found a tv deal? 
Also I am for 4 French clubs in a 2x10 structure but with a tv deal to support them

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Also Sky pay for SL. Do Catalans enhance that? Absolutely. I'm not sure if there is any discernable between an English club getting money to essentially spend on a squad of players and an French one doing the same.

Clubs self funding their time in Super League has always gone so well, we most definitely need to do that to one of the biggest and successful clubs in the competition, at present, and a club in its infancy at the top level. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Also Sky pay for SL. Do Catalans enhance that? Absolutely. I'm not sure if there is any discernable between an English club getting money to essentially spend on a squad of players and an French one doing the same.

Catalans are arguably the most popular in SL in Australia. Largely because of the high profile signings they have made over the years and media coverage they get. Do SL get money from Australasian TV coverage?

5 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Quite. My club turned up at a meeting last year to find that another club (one which incidentally has gone bust so far three times in our history) in their league had put forward proposals to throw them and two other clubs out of the league. All the lobbying was done behind closed doors rather than that club having the courage of their convictions and being open about it. Why should my club play to their game and keep it secret?

And this is the worry. It seems that an awful lot of lobbying is done prior to official meetings and a consensus reached.

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Clubs self funding their time in Super League has always gone so well, we most definitely need to do that to one of the biggest and successful clubs in the competition, at present, and a club in its infancy at the top level. 

Why self fund, do they receive support from the mayors pot like other French sports? Why can’t a tv deal be found?

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

Why self fund, do they receive support from the mayors pot like other French sports? Why can’t a tv deal be found?

You’re the daft one suggesting they should be forced to self fund, not me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Catalans are arguably the most popular in SL in Australia. Largely because of the high profile signings they have made over the years and media coverage they get. Do SL get money from Australasian TV coverage?

Then if they did that would be a tv deal, do they and are they?

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Thought I said secure a TV deal

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed. If it is to be a club chairman, it surely should be someone who's club can essentially exist without them, to ensure the greatest independence.

Which clubs would this be then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As ever the problem is that middle group.

If League 1 and much of the Championship, who are unlikely ever to be in Super League - indeed it would financially cripple many - are pretty happy going along as semi pro recreational teams playing to semi pro audiences as proper community clubs.

The middle group are a group who are stuffed. Some think they are capable of becoming the top group but haven't been able to (not always their own fault), most would really struggle to adapt to the League 1 style club level.

The argument may well fall down to which of those middle group clubs should be prioritised to the top division for a variety of reasons, and which should be guided to the community approach.

Exactly.  The ‘middle group’ is where the discussion will be most focused and most heated.

God, this is all thoroughly depressing.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow though and I am sure it will all be sorted when I get back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Degsy getting in on it too on social media claiming the Championship offers more for the game, which is utter madness, if we’re honest. 

It's odd he keeps spending so much money trying to get out of it then or indeed actively applying for a SL place when he could, even stating he would be prepared to take no funding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

God, this is all thoroughly depressing.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow though and I am sure it will all be sorted when I get back.

Many people posting on socials and spouting in RFL meetings have also enjoyed sunny trips to the South of France over the last 15+ years with exciting rugby and atmosphere. Very sad.