McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Catalans are arguably the most popular in SL in Australia. Largely because of the high profile signings they have made over the years and media coverage they get. Do SL get money from Australasian TV coverage?

Would that not be a bit of bartering, Sky gives them SL, Channel 9 (or whoever it is) reciprocates with the NRL?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Would that not be a bit of bartering, Sky gives them SL, Channel 9 (or whoever it is) reciprocates with the NRL?

Sky can't do that without paying for UK and all overseas rights from SL. Overseas rights would include France.

Just now, Eddie said:

Oh yes 14. We’ll add up their number of fans, the number of players they have, the income that they generate, the number of players they develop etc. Unless you think Toulouse and Catalans are each on average 7 times more important than an average Championship club in those key areas - which I don’t. 

If your argument is “well, 25 clubs outside of Super League have more combined fans than two clubs in Super League”, we’re going to be lucky if many clubs make the cut to be deemed valuable. The same for income, too.

Catalans have generated more players in their 16-17 years in Super League than almost every non-SL club combined. Maybe Bradford would be able to post comparable numbers, London in the past ten years but aside from that, the majority have no pathway or Academy set-ups.

42 minutes ago, Damien said:

And this is the worry. It seems that an awful lot of lobbying is done prior to official meetings and a consensus reached.

As in everthing that goes on where multiple entities are concerned, have you ever been to a meeting at Wigan Metro when the Councillors have to vote, what a sham it is.

3 minutes ago, clogdance said:

O)h dear, didn't realize you were French. I can only apologize xx

I’m not French but “well, why dunt thee play in’t French league” is daft. 

If Huddersfield don’t like travel or people with accents or strange money, they’d probably be welcome to join the Yorkshire League, I’m sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes.  Moved here in 2006.

I was born in Cas in 1963.  Watched Cas from around 1971.  Followed them home and away from being old enough to drive and left the UK when I was 42 years of age.  

But what is your point?  Are you implying that because I live in Adelaide I should have no interest in what happens in SL?  Or that I do not know what is going on?  If so that is a pretty low shot.

I remember another well known poster on here implying the same a few years ago.

Interest yes , but just how much would it affect you ? , Yes you wouldn't get to see your team on the box a few times a year , but for those paying their £20 quid at the turnstile it would be devastating 

21 minutes ago, clogdance said:

This is what Derek actually typed  earlier.....Wasn’t only Huddersfield. I was vocal as always and all bar 1 in the room I was in saw no COMMERCIAL value from all those years! 1 person aptly pointed out we give £4m to 2 French clubs and only £2m to the whole of champ and champ1! Which contributes most back to the game?

But those figures are completely incorrect and exaggerated for effect.

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

I’m not French but “well, why dunt thee play in’t French league” is daft. 

If Huddersfield don’t like travel or people with accents or strange money, they’d probably be welcome to join the Yorkshire League, I’m sure. 

Racist

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Catalans have been part of SL for 16 years FFS. They are ingrained in some of the special moments in the game's recent history. Been to Wembley twice, Old Trafford once and hold the record for the biggest ever SL attendance at 32k. Were it not for Catalans we would have never seen some of those top NRL players like Stacey Jones and James Maloney in SL because other clubs couldn't afford them. The have also had more home games broadcast on Sky in the last 10-15 years than any other SL club.

I can't believe I have to write this!

Going by some of Catlans signing for 2023 and with a couple more in the pipeline, I think there is a cold reality that they are going to be a top 4 club for the next decade. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Why can they make those signings? Because the have the highest turnover in SL - you know real money!!

This post has nothing to do with the point I was making ,as it happens Rocket was attempting humour , but him being an Aussie , well let's say it didn't translate 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

People forget what an astute idea it was to form the club as Catalans back in 2004/5 which meant they could tap into regional support and commercial income. That allowed them to break the SL record attendance and to achieve the highest turnover in SL.

Had they been as short-sighted as some they would have just named themselves Perpignan to keep in with the small town theme.

True , but as some have pointed out on here Scubby , they have also distanced themselves from being ' French ' which can also be detrimental when chasing things like a French national TV deal ? 🙄

13 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If your argument is “well, 25 clubs outside of Super League have more combined fans than two clubs in Super League”, we’re going to be lucky if many clubs make the cut to be deemed valuable. The same for income, too.

Catalans have generated more players in their 16-17 years in Super League than almost every non-SL club combined. Maybe Bradford would be able to post comparable numbers, London in the past ten years but aside from that, the majority have no pathway or Academy set-ups.

Catalans have generated more players than every non-SL team combined? Are you being serious? 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This post has nothing to do with the point I was making ,as it happens Rocket was attempting humour , but him being an Aussie , well let's say it didn't translate 

Sorry mate, I had reached the point of exasperation by then and couldn't be bothered to quote 15 posts.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

True , but as some have pointed out on here Scubby , they have also distanced themselves from being ' French ' which can also be detrimental when chasing things like a French national TV deal ? 🙄

Isn't it the game's job to sell broadcast rights from different countries. Do the NZ Warriors negotiate the TV deal with Sky NZ - no! The NRL's main job is to maximise its revenue for its products. SL currently is telling a single member club to try and sell its assets. Corner shop!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Catalans have generated more players than every non-SL team combined? Are you being serious? 

The vast majority, yes, deadly serious. I can only think of Bradford and London who have consistently had academies, who are outside of Super League, that may be able to compete numbers wise. Those without academies are either signing players from academies elsewhere, signing from clubs within the game or promoting from the amateur game. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This kind of ties in to the point I made earlier, how do a club like Huddersfield turn into a big club consistently getting 8k with the odd 5 figure bumper crowd? It's not really a satisfactory answer Huddersfield fans just saying it's a football town and people aren't interested. If they can't do it that's fine but that's not the level SL should be pitched at when it comes to decisions on salary cap, standards etc.

God knows, under Nathan Brown and between 2008-2012 we averaged around about 7,500 with at least 2 10,000+ crowds a season, that was our ceiling i think, we all said we need to win something for our crowds to improve, we had a great 2013 winning the LLS and losing in the Semi final but the next season rather than going up our crowds actually went DOWN so that theory was blown away despite it only been the LLS.

We've given free tickets away, we've reduced season ticket prices, let Town fans and championship fans in for a fiver, offered free or reduced tickets to the Uni, golden tickets (family vouchers) to schools, community clubs involvement on matchdays but still our crowds have never improved, the people running the club have tried everything to attract people to come and watch but they never do.

I am at a loss what more we can do, winning a major trophy may help but as we saw at Tottenham, we still struggled to attract many more fans to a cup final than we do for home games.

People of Huddersfield and surrounding area are simply not interested in Huddersfield Giants.

To be honest though i doubt any club will solely be judged on 'crowds', we have lot's of things the club have and are doing right despite Joe Public not paying money to watch the games.

FWIW i personally welcome expansion and the French clubs, i have made friends in Perpignan and met new people there and in Toulouse, they are both great cities and i wouldn't want to see a Super League without a French club, i would also like to see the sport and Super League grow and if that be at the expense of my own club then i'll handle it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. If they were anything like me, they would hear a lot of this stuff at the meetings and think they're going down a blind alley to a dead end.

Are they not better to hear exactly how the clubs feel about things up front at the start ? , Than only to find later a hidden agenda ? , Isn't this what happened before ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You going for 6 months ?

Hopefully.  With good behaviour. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Bloody foreigners H, am I right? That’s usually the stance you Leigh fans take. 

Not at all Juggy, you show a full Catalans stadium, but a full Toulouse doesn't exist, I will say it softly, like Leigh there are more open than occupied spaces at T.O. on any given home game, but I will wager that if they go up Leigh will have more speccies in than Toulouse in total and far far more Home speccies.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks.

Now I am no Mystic Meg but I would hazard a guess that:-

1. The top 6/7 clubs in terms of income generation within SL were more open to discussions about new structures because they would automatically be accepted and also view the possible additional monetised opportunities that may eventuate on the back of this.

2. The bottom 5/6 clubs in SL plus some of the more progressive clubs in the Championship probably want to preserve the status quo as quite rightly they are concerned that they may not be chosen to participate in a new structure.

3. Smaller Championship and League 1 clubs that see their immediate to short term future as semi-professional will want to know what guarantees they have in terms of survival in whatever structure and the level of income they will get to survive.

I have no idea how IMG can satisfy all of the above unless they keep the status quo but somehow manage to sell the game and add-ons for far more that at present.  Is that possible?

To do that they surely need honest answers from all the various stakeholders , only then can they formulate plans to do as you say , and convince all the stakeholders of the benefits therein ?