McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It came about from the (re)merger between SL and RFL so, I would guess, that the RFL decided to go down the route of having delegated responsibility to its CEO and another Board Member, whereas SL went down direct representation.

I can't now remember how previous structural changes were agreed - has there been an all-member vote each time the league structure changes? (Each time a sponsor is agreed, each time a TV deal agreed (etc etc)).

I know that the when SL proposed the breakaway which included getting rid of the 8's in favour of 1 up 1 down every pro/semi pro team had a vote, considering it was the last major change is this now the new norm? And will this - which we do not yet know what the proposal(s) will be - be the most radical change the game has faced, only time will tell.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

How so?

You seem to indicate SL will have the major say on any final proposals, then you speak about who will have the power to sanction or reject these final proposals?

I think it's obvious Superleague will decide, unless you believe Rimmer has any power?

5 hours ago, Moove said:

Catalans (and Toulouse) aren't full members of the RFL and don't get to vote on things like league restructures.

Thank you very much Mr. Moove... 

I'd be fascinated on the voting if the suggested 2 x 10 is tabled and put to a vote

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

You seem to indicate SL will have the major say on any final proposals, then you speak about who will have the power to sanction or reject these final proposals?

I think it's obvious Superleague will decide, unless you believe Rimmer has any power?

Hopefully Ralph is in charge of ordering staples and post-it notes and nothing more.

Well said Sam:

But speaking on this week’s Love Rugby League Podcast, Tomkins says McNamara was entirely within his rights to defend his club.

“The first I heard of it was when I read the comments from Steve,” said Tomkins.

“Steve doesn’t say things out of anger or emotion. We can take a tough loss or a great win and Steve isn’t doing cartwheels or crying at either of those.

“Steve will think about what he is going to say. He doesn’t get too high or too low and that is the consistency you want from your coach.

“So the comments regarding Huddersfield won’t have just been blurted out, they will have been thought through. I would back everything that he is saying. I think it is a terrible attitude to have. We clearly add to what Super League has got so I would back Steve’s comments. He would have thought that through and known exactly what has gone on before coming out with that.”

And Tomkins is keen to remind Huddersfield and any other critics of French rugby league, just what the Dragons bring to Super League.

“We have won a Challenge Cup and got to a Grand Final,” he said. “These are things that clubs who have been in Super League for decades haven’t done.

“We make it an international league. There’s an M62 corridor that everyone goes on about and London came in at one point; and Crusaders and it’s not quite worked. We are a club that works. 

“We have an owner who puts his hand in his pocket more than any other owner. Through Covid there is no other owner who would have done what Bernard (Guasch) did. He was getting hit from his work side, the business that makes the money for the club to survive; and then dipping his hand in his own pocket spending more than he had ever spent when he was earning less than he had ever earned. 

“We bring a group of passionate fans. Everyone knows when you come to Catalans it is a different experience to any other club. You get some great atmospheres in Super League but over here it is different, it is a carnival atmosphere.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/huddersfield-comments-are-a-terrible-attitude-says-sam-tomkins/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 29/07/2022 at 08:44, Harry Stottle said:

That is it in a nutshell Oxy, it is the proverbial 'Turkeys voting for Christmas' syndrome, but obviously will be backed by the prize 'Cocks' who are spared the roasting tin to sire next year's flock.

But seriously, I would say that upwards of 95% of us that write on these pages has an affiliation and connection with a club, it is only natural to cosset and protect that, just as though it is a family member.

So Harry, the real truth is that none of us are here for the good of the game then. The issue for me is that people who argue for P&R would also argue for relegation without being found wanting in the true sense of the word. Just some, what do they bring to the game? nonsense.

So maybe the answer is, we all go to club forums and forget the silly ideas to do with the game as a whole.

If 2x 10 comes to pass as the solution to the sports problems it will simply become one of the symptoms of the illness.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political