McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is really poor to put this out there. 

There is absolutely a discussion to be had about how best to monetise French involvement in SL. 

None of that should lead to any conclusion of there being no French involvement, but a French team's coach highlighting this publicly is poor. 

That’s your take on this? 🤣🤣🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I must be mistaken then wen I attended games at Hilton Park during the Millward era.

Perhaps Leigh had their chance and blew it during that era.

Must have have a lingering effect on some fans.

I think that's the issue. A lot of them are bitter.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's more than just a 1000 Leigh fans though. It's also probably a 1000 from Fev, Widnes, York, Bradford and one or two others. Plus the hard to quantify knock-on impact on the wider rugby culture in those areas.

Those who favour licensing have to acknowledge that it isn't a no-loss option, it will have real effects on some, at least in the short term, so the long term benefit really does have to be illustrated. 

I wouldnt trust the RFL to make that case properly, but maybe IMG have the skills to do it. 

What is your position?

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

So reducing the league to 11 teams? Or 10. 

And specifically Catalan? Why them? What do they not contribute that other clubs do?

Those seemingly supporting the Hudds comments seem to be changing the discussion from 'contributing' to money and even then aren't saying what this money is, where it is coming from or how Catalan are effecting it.

The money is the costs of travelling to France ( yes I know it costs them much more , but that's not the point of discussion ) , then yes , the lack of 2/300 away fans 2/3 times a year , then the money the fans spend going to France that you could argue would be spent at Magic,Cup Final ,GF or going to other UK clubs 

Not huge , but in a cash strapped ( for some ) sport , it all counts 

Personally I think it's great having the French in 

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They have to hide their inability/incompetence/Ineptitude/shortcoming/failure to move the game forward, the alternative would be to face up to the fact that because their clubs are all based in smallish, unfashionable, economically disadvantaged towns which aren't the sort of places where big time major sport is played they simply have no access to the sort of money needed to move the game forward, and never will.

Maybe the hard truth is that a small time regional league with a couple of add-ons further afield doesn't impress the residents of Huddersfield enough to warrant their support in any bigger numbers.

So the placing of clubs in a small area of Lancashire , Yorkshire with a bit in Cumbria and Hull 125 years ago is the fault of those clubs current owners ? 

What are they ? Vampires ? 

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

They have to hide their inability/incompetence/Ineptitude/shortcoming/failure to move the game forward, the alternative would be to face up to the fact that because their clubs are all based in smallish, unfashionable, economically disadvantaged towns which aren't the sort of places where big time major sport is played they simply have no access to the sort of money needed to move the game forward, and never will.

Maybe the hard truth is that a small time regional league with a couple of add-ons further afield doesn't impress the residents of Huddersfield enough to warrant their support in any bigger numbers.

They didn't really get that excited about the premier League to tell the truth 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

This.

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I must be mistaken then when I attended games at Hilton Park during the Millward era.

Perhaps Leigh had their chance and blew it during that era.

Must have had a lingering effect on some fans.

Basil left in 98 , so you're just the 10 years out 

32 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The best way forward is a licensed competition with no promotion/relegation.

For the record Huddersfield and Leigh would be in the Championship if it were purely up to me, two village teams barely punching above their weight.

And which village in all those stuck together do you hail from?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So the placing of clubs in a small area of Lancashire , Yorkshire with a bit in Cumbria and Hull 125 years ago is the fault of those clubs current owners ? 

What are they ? Vampires ? 

Of course it isn't the current owners' fault, but the fact remains that the game's failure to grow beyond that small area is the root of its problems and has been for a very long time.

14 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I think that's the issue. A lot of them are bitter.

We have got a little bitter since we moved to the LSV , because of the ridiculous situations we have seen with other clubs being allowed into SL under licencing and P and R with completely substandard stadiums 

Yes that has upset us , and we include London playing out of a wedding venue in that 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Of course it isn't the current owners' fault, but the fact remains that the game's failure to grow beyond that small area is the root of its problems and has been for a very long time.

But not the fault of the current clubs owners is it ? 

So why insinuate it is ?

So what do you want those current owners to do about it ? 

What do you want me ( and all the tens of thousands of other clubs fans ) to do about it ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

But not the fault of the current clubs owners is it ? 

So why insinuate it is ?

So what do you want those current owners to do about it ? 

What do you want me ( and all the tens of thousands of other clubs fans ) to do about it ?

Put the interests of the sport before fandom.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

If all stakeholders give honest views and IMG can make the existing structure work and bring in additional income then I have no issue with that.  The challenge is can they.

They are obviously a bunch of mugs and will believe everything that they are told. That's how they got where they are today.

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The money is the costs of travelling to France ( yes I know it costs them much more , but that's not the point of discussion ) , then yes , the lack of 2/300 away fans 2/3 times a year , then the money the fans spend going to France that you could argue would be spent at Magic,Cup Final ,GF or going to other UK clubs 

Not huge , but in a cash strapped ( for some ) sport , it all counts 

Personally I think it's great having the French in 

Were there not stats showing that there were increased attendances when Toronto and Toulouse played away from home with people keen to see new, potentially more glamorous teams?

Complaining about how fans spend their money on how they want to support their team? How many Hudds fans didn't go to Wembly because they went to Perpignan instead? 

Rugby league is not a cash rich sport but I can only see a contraction of the game to a small selection of localised heartland teams meaning that any money would reduce instead of increase. It gives a 'small time' impression and IMHO thus follows the reduction in exposure, TV money, sponsorship, player pool and 'money'.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's more than just a 1000 Leigh fans though. It's also probably a 1000 from Fev, Widnes, York, Bradford and one or two others. Plus the hard to quantify knock-on impact on the wider rugby culture in those areas.

Those who favour licensing have to acknowledge that it isn't a no-loss option, it will have real effects on some, at least in the short term, so the long term benefit really does have to be illustrated. 

I wouldnt trust the RFL to make that case properly, but maybe IMG have the skills to do it. 

Exactly, all these Closed Shoppers can only see that there may be some immediate type of benefit for the chosen few, they are to blinkered to realise how much damage it will do the game at large.

• Haha 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Put the interests of the sport before fandom.

How ? , BP wants teams set up all over the country , so what ? , He wants me to support a team in Bristol ? , He wants me to drive down to Bristol every other week ? 

He wants those current club owners to spend millions setting up clubs in Norwich,Derby,Nottingham,Birmingham,Bristol,Stoke,Portsmouth

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

How ? , BP wants teams set up all over the country , so what ? , He wants me to support a team in Bristol ? , He wants me to drive down to Bristol every other week ? 

He wants those current club owners to spend millions setting up clubs in Norwich,Derby,Nottingham,Birmingham,Bristol,Stoke,Portsmouth

I agree with you when it comes to BP’s big picture which I do not share.