Belle Vue trending for all the wrong reasons

12 minutes ago, dboy said:

I don't understand what you are asking.

What do you want to know?

What was the reason for switching game (or games) to Oakwell when Wakefield were first promoted to Super League?

Did Wakefield not make any assurances about ground improvements when they applied for, and were given, a franchise in 2008 and 2011?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobby123 said:

The financial organisation,commencing in the sixties,was always a topic of conversation. They had a very good following, home and away, organised lotteries and other financial off-shoots and the monies must have been rolling in but as years progressed, the echelons changed, the coffers were slowly drained. It has been a constant struggle ever since. 

It has definitely been a story of decline and stagnation since then sadly. Epitomised by nothing else more obviously than Belle Vue itself.

10 minutes ago, phiggins said:

What was the reason for switching game (or games) to Oakwell when Wakefield were first promoted to Super League?

Did Wakefield not make any assurances about ground improvements when they applied for, and were given, a franchise in 2008 and 2011?

Ah right.

No, they made no promises (nor were they required to), about the ground.

They DID say they would aim to play televised games away from BV (the lights weren't up to TV standards), but that never materialised, as they were never picked for home TV games anyway.

Lights were subsequently upgraded and they themselves have just been replaced with new lights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In that case could you please confirm the scenario around the aforementioned game at Barnsley?

I went to Barnsley when Saints played there against Wakey, i was furious we lost that game. I loved the old stand on the touchline at Oakwell it’s a pity it couldn’t be saved. 

10 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I went to Barnsley when Saints played there against Wakey, i was furious we lost that game. I loved the old stand on the touchline at Oakwell it’s a pity it couldn’t be saved. 

The old stand on the touchline is still there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Just about. Barnsley closed the stand last season, but probably so they could shift stewards to accommodate more away fans to be honest. 

That's what they said,but then say say anything. Blamed the council at first and a lot of fans got their season ticket money back,others came into the East stand where i  sit.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 04:22, Henson Park Old Firm said:

First Huddersfield no Saints, maybe clubs are actively trying to get rid of clubs for the deal?

Next they will be putting out weakened teams against Toulouse 

• Confused 1

Last time i went to belle vue, and it’s likely to be the last until the ground is developed, to get into the seated areas you just gave  £5 to a bloke who opened a side door, the seats were rusty dropping to bits and if they were in a public park would be knocked down, this was not that long ago either maybe 2014-2015. Never again go there. It makes Wheldon road look like a quint little hotel. 

When so many  clubs are playing in new or redeveloped stadiums in SL and championship, its a disgrace is Belle vue and worry Wakey should have been kicked out years ago, it makes the whole game look bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

Last time i went to belle vue, and it’s likely to be the last until the ground is developed, to get into the seated areas you just gave  £5 to a bloke who opened a side door, the seats were rusty dropping to bits and if they were in a public park would be knocked down, this was not that long ago either maybe 2014-2015. Never again go there. It makes Wheldon road look like a quint little hotel. 

When so many  clubs are playing in new or redeveloped stadiums in SL and championship, its a disgrace is Belle vue and worry Wakey should have been kicked out years ago, it makes the whole game look bad. 

You know it's being re-developed right now, at this very moment, don't you?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dboy said:

You know it's being re-developed right now, at this very moment, don't you?

They haven’t successfully knocked it down yet! 
when its built i’l believe it, could be a ling drawn  out process like the Shay at Halifax.

Edited by Live after death

4 minutes ago, Live after death said:

No. Only closed it 2 weeks ago.

It's had all services disconnected, perimeter fencing erected, and temporary seating installed.

Next job is removal of the asbestos roofing, scheduled to take 2 weeks I believe, then a rip-down demolition can take place.

10 minutes ago, Live after death said:

when its built i’l believe it, could be a ling drawn  out process like the Shay at Halifax.

So, you understand that the re-development is actually in progress right now, don't you?

30 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Can’t say I’m crying tbh?  Just hoping wakey go down and the top level of the sport can move on without this dead weight of a club 👍

And I'm just hoping you're wrong and we can keep you crying about us for another 12 months.

The rent-free space in your head is very cosy for us.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

its a work in progress and they recon the first part will be done in 12 months and then they will do the rest so lets just see how it progresses .

at least they have started on the ground unlike some other teams that keep promising to make a start

22 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

its a work in progress and they recon the first part will be done in 12 months and then they will do the rest so lets just see how it progresses .

at least they have started on the ground unlike some other teams that keep promising to make a start

What other teams ? I can only think of one.

Mini-update from last night's fans' forum...

New, permanent "big screen" is ready to be installed.

Costs escalated by £1.8m between signing off the plans and beginning the build (i.e. over 10%). Due to Brexit and Covid.

Club have brought forward pitch re-lay - new pitch allowing 30+ hours use per week will be installed this closed season.

RE: Chairgate - the benches were removed and chairs put in during Covid restrictions, so that players could be separated by distance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dboy said:

Mini-update from last night's fans' forum...

New, permanent "big screen" is ready to be installed.

Costs escalated by £1.8m between signing off the plans and beginning the build (i.e. over 10%). Due to Brexit and Covid.

Club have brought forward pitch re-lay - new pitch allowing 30+ hours use per week will be installed this closed season.

RE: Chairgate - the benches were removed and chairs put in during Covid restrictions, so that players could be separated by distance.

Did they give any indication of what impact relegation would have on the development, or the club generally?