Manly players refusing to wear Pride Jersey

7 players will not be available for Thursday night’s NRL game because of “religious reasons”.

Having looked at some of manly’s sponsors I can only assume it must be some type of gambling and alcohol loving religion that dislikes homosexuals.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/seven-manly-sea-eagles-players-may-stand-down-over-clubs-pride-jersey/news-story/4cfffac2b04da0f152b1a59cd3622810

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Copa said:

7 players will not be available for Thursday night’s NRL game because of “religious reasons”.

Having looked at some of manly’s sponsors I can only assume it must be some type of gambling and alcohol loving religion that dislikes homosexuals.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/seven-manly-sea-eagles-players-may-stand-down-over-clubs-pride-jersey/news-story/4cfffac2b04da0f152b1a59cd3622810

Fair point.

Their main sponsor is a gambling site, and one of the secondary sponsors is a brewery.

Yet 'religious' players won't play because (in one game) the club gives them a Pride shirt to wear.

That's absolute nonsense (I speak as a practising Christian, by the way)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Their main sponsor is a gambling site, and one of the secondary sponsors is a brewery.

Yet 'religious' players won't play because (in one game) the club gives them a Pride shirt to wear.

That's absolute nonsense (I speak as a practising Christian, by the way)

Smacks of picking and choosing what you want to "believe" much like Izzy.

(I'm non-religious, but respect those who do practice their religion and don't preach to others who don't. 🙂 )

• Like 1

Quite depressing reading about that. 

Manly should play the rest of the season in that jersey as a sign of inclusivity.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I’d want the players moved on if I were a Manly fan. They’re 9th, level on points with 8th, as the season heads to its climax, as they look to get into the play-offs and players are refusing to play. Oh and their next opponents, Sydney Roosters, who are 8th. 

People are still entitled to their beliefs, religiously influenced or otherwise ......... Let's not lose sight of that in this overly-woke, box-ticking, social media-driven society that we have to contend with nowadays ...... Live and let live -- simple as that ......... I may not openly condone or condemn many things, but you can't take away my right to have my own opinions and beliefs. 

If their religious beliefs are so strong, then those beliefs should be respected..... (They don't involve physical harm to anyone as far as I can tell)....

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’d want the players moved on if I were a Manly fan. They’re 9th, level on points with 8th, as the season heads to its climax, as they look to get into the play-offs and players are refusing to play. Oh and their next opponents, Sydney Roosters, who are 8th. 

Why ? That’s their belief , that’s their freedom of choice like it or not . Apparently they weren’t even consulted about it 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

Is it depressing? They're standing up for their personal religious beliefs. They are perfectly entitled to do so. I'm an atheist, but I respect other's beliefs. 

I'm also the proud father of a gay daughter.  I wouldn't wear a pride shirt either (and neither would she).

It's a pathetic "look at me and what a nice person I am" thing that straight people have jumped on.

• Like 13

Stood down for the game , supported by Hasler 

The players in question are: Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Tolutau Koula and Toafofoa Sipley.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Jesus turned water into wine and bet the money-lenders he couldn't throw their tables out of the temple.

So that's why they're okay.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

People are still entitled to their beliefs, religiously influenced or otherwise ......... 

If their religious beliefs are so strong, then those beliefs should be respected..... (They don't involve physical harm to anyone as far as I can tell)....

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Is it depressing? They're standing up for their personal religious beliefs. They are perfectly entitled to do so. I'm an atheist, but I respect other's beliefs. 

I don't think anyone on this thread has said otherwise

To me, it's about the hypocrisy. They are perfectly happy to run out in a jersey with a betting company as main sponsor - and industry which ruins a large number of lives every year.

But a jersey which supports a community of people who cause no harm to anyone is suddenly 'against their religion'

Either take a proper stand on the bible - or don't. But don't cherry pick when it suits.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

To me, it's about the hypocrisy. They are perfectly happy to run out in a jersey with a betting company as main sponsor - and industry which ruins a large number of lives every year.

But a jersey which supports a community of people who cause no harm to anyone is suddenly 'against their religion'

Either take a proper stand on the bible - or don't. But don't cherry pick when it suits.

Fair point

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why ? That’s their belief , that’s their freedom of choice like it or not . Apparently they weren’t even consulted about it 

Are they consulted on club sponsors and partners? What about player and coach recruitment? Who they speak to in the media? Who moves in next door to them? Who serves them in restaurants and bars?

23 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I'm also the proud father of a gay daughter.  I wouldn't wear a pride shirt either (and neither would she).

It's a pathetic "look at me and what a nice person I am" thing that straight people have jumped on.

I find it depressing, yes. As people have said, there’s been some selection on what they like and apparently dislike. 

I also find it depressing for the message it sends out to the LGBTQ community or anyone unsure of their feelings that these people cannot show the understanding, selflessness and care preached about by their religious leaders from within their religious texts. 

People are perfectly entitled to their decision, so why shouldn't these players be allowed one?

The sponsors logos argument is a deflection, there are advertisements on TV at half time, ads at the side of the pitch, etc that likely contrast with people's views and beliefs. But making players wear a unique shirt in active celebration / promotion of something is completely different. Else I'll expect everyone to wear a special, one off st David's day shirt on 1 march each year to recognise Welsh heritage, shall I? Lest I be offended that someone is promoting something I believe in, that otherwise has no relevance to them

27 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Isn't that what religion does 

Just now, Hughsehhh said:

The sponsors logos argument is a deflection, there are advertisements on TV at half time, ads at the side of the pitch, etc that likely contrast with people's views and beliefs. But making players wear a unique shirt in active celebration / promotion of something is completely different.

I'm not sure how it is completely different.

Advertising is the literal definition of active promotion.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

You can’t score an own goal in RL but Manly have some how managed it. Stay out of politics and populist decisions to avoid the embarrassment of the cancel culture band wagon.

Hypocrisy is a symptom of the human condition so anyone above this fundamental flaw may cast the first stone whenever they wish

• Like 1

Just to join up a couple of threads on here.

If I were able to look forward in time a few hundred years I believe that a couple of things will have happened. 

Firstly, the human race would have evolved past looking at bronze age cultures for our moral compass.

And secondly, Wakefield would have announced they are just about to move out of Belle Vue.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Alcohol is permissible in Christianity (Jesus drank wine), being drunk isn't. Gambling is not in the Bible as long as money doesn't control you gambling is also allowed. Big difference to homosexuality is totally ruled against. 

Money lending is gambling. Jesus didn’t like that. He also turned water into wine at a wedding, arguably so people could get pi**ed. Bloody hypocrite.