IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think we could find it going the opposite way to cricket and going county based.  Although they've gone with a  weird hybrid. Sometimes now I forget who I'm meant to support and find myself interested in the Northern team. 

That's the thing though people can latch themselves on wherever, tribalism isn't essentially baked in. I like Trent Rockets because I like Skips.

Essentially though it broke out of the "all 18 counties must be involved in everything" rule which meant English T20 cricket was a poor relation to the BBL and IPL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

That's the thing though people can latch themselves on wherever, tribalism isn't essentially baked in. I like Trent Rockets because I like Skips.

Essentially though it broke out of the "all 18 counties must be involved in everything" rule which meant English T20 cricket was a poor relation to the BBL and IPL.

I love the idea of following a team because of prawn cocktail crisps.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Has cricket Steve Oates hacked your account? 😉

A lot of the same problems are at play in both sports imo. The hundred is part of Cricket's solution.

Just cos I said your mum was cheap.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Manchester nailed it with the solid McCoy's. 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It's the bit that appeals to me. 

North West

Yorks

London

France

Wales

Cumbria

South (non-London,  maybe Cornwall) 

Scotland

If they don't work,  move them. Far easier than re-launchibg 100 year old clubs. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I like McCoys but couldn't bring myself to back a team with Manchester in the name

Pity the poor folk in Taunton who are expected to follow Welsh Fire.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Well that some sparked debate 😁

It’s interesting how conservative some RL fans really are, deep down.

These things are worth a go. Perfection is the enemy of good. 

A centrally run, city based mid year comp might be the only way to get a semi competent professional RL set up in London too (add Cardiff in that too)

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

North West

Yorks

London

France

Wales

Cumbria

Scotland

If they don't work,  move them. Far easier than re-launchibg 100 year old clubs. 

Me too. In reality it may be the only way a professional RL entity exists in half of those places you say, and doesn't have the huge costs of a Full season operation.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

A centrally run, city based mid year comp might be the only way to get a semi competent professional RL set up in London too (add Cardiff in that too)

I've been thinking this for a while. Bypass the Broncos completely - without killing them off - and give the thousands of London & SE RL casuals a team to follow without needing a big commitment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

I've been thinking this for a while. Bypass the Broncos completely - without killing them off - and give the thousands of London & SE RL casuals a team to follow without needing a big commitment. 

I'd be there.

For RL, though. Not for 9s.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Maybe. 

Of course, a London 9s team wouldn’t necessarily have to have London-based players. In theory, you could have, say, Jai Field play for them as they spread the talent around. 

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The survey is embarrassing and totally pointless same old questions sadly:( Nothing will change.

In reality we need a  10 team Super League  call it what you want personally i would do a deal to license the NRL brand NRL Europe (Vibrant Championship  league underneath) New franchise applications every 3/5 years.

* 18 matches (Quality ones) + 1 extra match with a draw Home team if they win only get 1 point away team 2 (Equals things up) 

* Play offs and Final

* NRL v NRL Europe Origin match every year

* All franchises to run Academy Women's and Wheelchair

* Tests set in stone after the Grand Final

Cost to get this going around 500 Million for security clubs to receive 5 years upfront of 25 Million each

* 6 teams from the traditional areas + Franchise  in London + Catalans Dragons and Toulouse + 1 more 

* Draft 

Before you all fall off your stools the NY Giants is currently valued at 4.85 Billion US$ for a serious American investor this is peanuts.

The money is out there just needs sourcing.

Watch the game fly after this lets hope it happens before we all end up in a lead box miserable as hell drinking warm Tetley's:)

What makes you think the Championship below would be ' vibrant ' ? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think using a framework of what The Hundred did with the formation of new (horrible)  clubs,  we could quickly address some of the geographical limitations RL has. 

Wasn't the whole point of Super League to do that nearly 30 years ago?

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

North West

Yorks

London

France

Wales

Cumbria

Scotland

where do players come from, are the local amateurs

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do pity all 12 of them!

Joking aside, that is ultimately why, even if it lasts, The Hundred cannot achieve any aim other than taking control away from the counties, whereas in RL its framework may work.

Cricket, before from the Hundred, played top level cricket through 18 counties at, at least, 50 venues per year. Not perfect but you can't deny the reach.

Now, with literally all its marketing budget and schedules being cleared so The Hundred is the only cricket played for long stretches at the peak of summer that means that top tier cricket is focused almost exclusively on seven cities. It's contraction.

A regional framework for RL does the opposite. Only half of any sensible list of possible areas would be existing 'heartlands'. The rest would be genuine low-risk expansion.

6 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I'll be there for 9s!

And a serious answer: I won't be, and I suspect a lot of people also wouldn't be, because it really would feel like a travelling roadshow then and who wants to commit too much to that?

9s has already failed as a vehicle for new audiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

If the overall view of the professional game is reflected in this thread, then IMG have one hell of a job to try and rebuild the credibility of sport within its own supporter base before they even try to target new supporters!

I personally have never felt as disillusioned with the game as I do at present.

I have zero confidence in the people running the game, and I include the community game reps in that statement as the amateur game is also on its backside, with little chance of anything improving in the near future.

The RL World Cup hasn't caught my imagination and I think they will continue to struggle to sell tickets for the tournament. Let's be honest, the marketing has been nothing short of pitiful and yet another example of the RFL taking supporters for granted and just expecting them to 'turn up' on mass for big games.

As a sport we have become used to buying 'cheap' tickets for big matches and as a result they are now struggling to sell tickets at what is probably their true market value as the RFL have 'cheapened' the sport with their previous marketing strategy of selling it 'on the cheap'.

The best recommendation IMG could make is to get rid of the RFL hierarchy and replace them with some fresh experienced sports administrators that know what they are doing.

The likes of Rimmer & Co need to go - and need to go now!

If we want an even competition then we have to even out the distribution of central funding.

Funding should be given to clubs for infrastructure, not final league positions.

There should be an annual club 'health check' and assessment with points given for each area ie: commercial, reserve, structures etc. and central funding paid on that basis.

Reserve rugby should be manditory for professional clubs and a contribution to travelling expenses for coach travel should come from central funds on a mileage basis - the likes of the Cumbrian, Welsh and Cornwall clubs should be given help with travelling as they do more miles annually than their Lancs and Yorkshire counterparts which eats into their budgets and makes them all less competitive 

Oops, wrong post quoted by mistake.

Edited by Big Picture

4 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

What we have her is 12 teams out of the 37 being kept in the top league because they are each given almost £2Million each that is 1.8Million more each than each the bottom 11 teams.