IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

You're missing the point again.  A live broadcast by definition is linear TV.  It doesn't matter if it's streamed or received by an aerial.

Technically, I stream live games through my SkyGlass TV, but it's still on a channel that is being broadcast.

I think you're getting hung up on the platform, rather than the end result.  And it remains a fact that the overwhelming majority of live sport broadcasts are received through an aerial or a dish and will do for many years to come.

I think talking about devices is a clearer way to define this rather than what kind of invisible magic is used to get the live RL in front of you.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Kayo here has 1.2m paying subscribers. It's Fox's offering. Multi-sport.

Union here has heavily banked on streaming through Stan Sport which is the sports arm of one of our FTA channels. They only have one FTA game a week. The rest is stream only. Not sure on the number of subscribers.

Very strange that it seems a bit behind the times in the UK as far as sports streaming.

Its not behind the times, its just a different market with different drivers and different technology. Sky in particular invest heavily in their technology so that people stay with Sky and still get streaming apps through Sky. Similarly the likes of Sky and BT cross sell packages when it comes to broadband, mobile, TV etc.

From what you say it sounds like the way people consume media in the UK is actually far more advanced than in Australia. Its not a case of streaming v cable, its both on the same device.

Edited by Damien

30 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

You're missing the point again.  A live broadcast by definition is linear TV.  It doesn't matter if it's streamed or received by an aerial.

Technically, I stream live games through my SkyGlass TV, but it's still on a channel that is being broadcast.

I think you're getting hung up on the platform, rather than the end result.  And it remains a fact that the overwhelming majority of live sport broadcasts are received through an aerial or a dish and will do for many years to come.

totally agree.. i want to watch on my tv, id rather not watch on my iPad or phone or computer etc... whether it is an app or "live tv" wouldn't bother me, when we had virgin I would scroll around the "tv guide" and pick what i wanted to watch but that could have come through Virgin or an app and I wouldn't know or care.. the thing is i want it on my TV.. Every one of the tv's we have in the house has some form of "beaming" or "casting" ability and even if the app is on my iPad it gets beamed to a TV or i probably wont watch it.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

I see what you mean. I'm not sure if you can watch the game on delay or not with Sky. 

Dishes seem so outdated now. I don't agree with your last sentance. They'll go the way of the Dodo in the next 5 - 10 years.

new rise.jpg

26 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I see what you mean. I'm not sure if you can watch the game on delay or not with Sky. 

Dishes seem so outdated now. I don't agree with your last sentance. They'll go the way of the Dodo in the next 5 - 10 years.

There's a hardcore of 30-40% that only use Freeview (Aerial) or Freesat -  No streaming, no subscription channels.  They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Dishes are relatively new to the UK, until the late 80s we only really had terrestrial TV.  I suppose TV transmitters are much more cost effective than satellites for a small island, rather than a massive one. Dishes will remain ubiquitous for a while to come yet.

Edited by David Shepherd

18 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Thats weird, I'm watching live ITV on the ITV Hub  app right this very minute. 

You can watch it on the App but not through the TV or beamed from a device to a TV.... or at least I couldn't for the last 10 years (or however long they have had it) up until yesterday when I couldn't either.  2 Samsung TVs, an LG TV with built in ITV Hub App, iPad with screen share or GoogleChromecast.. I can watch it on the iPad but not then beam to TV.

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

You can watch it on the App but not through the TV or beamed from a device to a TV.... or at least I couldn't for the last 10 years (or however long they have had it) up until yesterday when I couldn't either.  2 Samsung TVs, an LG TV with built in ITV Hub App, iPad with screen share or GoogleChromecast.. I can watch it on the iPad but not then beam to TV.

Thats very odd. ITV Hub on Apple TV has always had the option of live TV for as long as I can remember. Hopefully they're bringing out an update across all platforms soon - It makes zero sense not to!

On a similar note, I'm praying that Premier Sports bring out an app for their Premier Player on Apple TV for next season, its far more preferable to casting from my phone.

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Thats very odd. ITV Hub on Apple TV has always had the option of live TV for as long as I can remember. Hopefully they're bringing out an update across all platforms soon - It makes zero sense not to!

On a similar note, I'm praying that Premier Sports bring out an app for their Premier Player on Apple TV for next season, its far more preferable to casting from my phone.

ITV havent had that option for as long as i have had ITV Hub, dont know why but seems to be something they are not that bothered about changing.. i would have thought the casting option would be the easiest one to fix and they havent been bothered to do that which makes me think its a deliberate move for some reason... its not like i dont have to suffer adverts (or pay to not).

4 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

It's available through Prime if you subscribe to that.

• Like 1