Rugby players to sue

18 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Agree possible on code of rugby might be the outcome - but it will be closer to RL.

It will be RU that will survive this and there's will be the one form of rugby whatever it looks like.

I should've said English RL will disappear the NRL might have enough stuff to cope.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

It will be RU that will survive this and there's will be the one form of rugby whatever it looks like.

I should've said English RL will disappear the NRL might have enough stuff to cope.

RL will survive. You should stop posting here if that's how you truly feel about the sport.

Just now, Oxford said:

Possible rule changes

Less subs RU

Less players RU (more running)

Changes to the ruck (too dangerous)

RL - 5 yard off side

Just now, NW10LDN said:

RL will survive. You should stop posting here if that's how you truly feel about the sport.

RL may survive in Oz maybe you should stop reading my posts if they upset you.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

RL may survive in Oz maybe you should stop reading my posts if they upset you.

Just stop. It adds nothing to this thread.

2 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Possible rule changes

Less subs RU

RL - 5 yard off side

I'm not convinced that rule changes will matter Pies tries.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

I don't know why you imagine you're the judge on this though you're entitled to an opinion but why is it one about me and not this threat to the game.

But back on thread the Game in England does not have resources, monies to cope with this, whether we like it or not.

I have always found the litigious nature of things nowadays slightly suspicious and worrying but this is something else entirely.

16 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Nowt like looking on the bright side 😃

On other issues Dallas you made a point about realism. My appreciation of this is simple, a legal class action could mean things that the sport simply can't find a solution to and doesn't have resources if the result is as huge as seems likely.

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

On other issues Dallas you made a point about realism. My appreciation of this is simple, a legal class action could mean things that the sport simply can't find a solution to and doesn't have resources if the result is as huge as seems likely.

To quote your character…. “I don’t belieeeeeeeeeeeve it”. 

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm not convinced that rule changes will matter Pies tries.

Oh yes it will. Rah Rah is a poor imitation of RL - and those that know know !

I’m sorry you so depressed about the game. It’s just not worth feeling like how you sound. Go watch last Wigan/StH game - or SOO - guaranteed to cheer anyone up !

WC coming up too - and looks like Aussies finally coming out of lockdown for it. Ours is TGG

21 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Bang on. One of the legal arguments is that by allowing 8 substitutes in top tier matches, the RFU/ World Rugby intentionally engineered oversized players to fulfil cameo roles in parts of matches before being replaced by another muscle bound freak to then rinse and repeat, neither of whom could last a full 80 minutes as they weren't programmed to play an entire match with their abnormal physique. As a consequence, players got battered  because the chinless wonders and monocled wing commanders thought this was a spiffing idea, guys getting knocking into the middle of next week when all they wanted to do want have a game of ra-ra at the old Cabbage Patch. 

Some time back I wrote here that the game needs to go back to 5 metre defensive lines, fewer player substitutions and no player can return once taken off. If I could see it why did the hierarchy not? All about the intensity and spectacle at the cost of player welfare. Of course a few other tweaks would be needed to counterbalance the changes, which I have also mentioned before.

Interestingly, one benefit to the above changes would be reduced blowout scores in internationals especially as nations (or teams) with traditional smaller packs wouldn't get steamrolled to the same degree. 

However, any litigation that hits RL in the pocket is a case of as you sow, so you reap. They ignored the obvious and will pay accordingly. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I had a similar discussion with the Father in Law a few weeks ago about this.

This was his reply “When I served out in Aden, in the 1960’s a fellow Royal Engineer said to me ‘Why is it that all the Officers are upper class.’.  A Sergeant overheard the comment and said ‘That’s because if you two ###### up there is no one to fight your cause.  But if an Officer f**ks up there is always someone higher up the chain who will bail them out’.

He the finished with ‘And that will be the difference between League and Union.’

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

I will reiterate that a lot of my knowledge on this has come from reading articles and watching the programmes as I don't have any medical background. But we seem to get hung up on the game itself and how that may change whereas from a lot of the interviews with the players and experts it seems that the game is not the biggest problem its the training and the aftercare. 

For example how many times did you see someone hobble to their feet, shake it off and play on or how many times did they not play on but then do full training on a Monday. This is poor aftercare and playing/training while concussed or recovering from a concussion can cause serious secondary effects. 

Players talk in interviews of full blooded training sessions over and over, that was ok when it was a tuesday and thursday evening but when you train 5 days out of 7 and play on another its too much. The talk of a constant drip that over years then forms a hole in the ground but no one really sees it developing. Players talk of punishment contact sessions that were harder. 

The NFL had this court case a few years ago and now limit contact training sessions. 

RU I think had issues early in professionalism with the power of the scrum and the impact on the front row that goes through the shoulders and spine which causes issues around concussion, they also had issues around the "clear out" at the rucks where you are catching people unawares. These have been cleared up over time but they have still some way to go with depowering the scrum a bit. 

Head high shots are going to happen, but you have to clamp down on them, as they are "and another thing" to be thrown at us and the visual is poor. The one they needed to clamp down on is the hit from behind late that snaps the head back as the player relaxes, but that was one of the issues early season that everyone moaned about. 

I dont think the games are under that much threat if the care is good and the training is a bit more carefully managed. The real threat is how much the settlement is going to be and who pays it and how.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Oh yes it will. Rah Rah is a poor imitation of RL - and those that know know !

I’m sorry you so depressed about the game. It’s just not worth feeling like how you sound. Go watch last Wigan/StH game - or SOO - guaranteed to cheer anyone up !

WC coming up too - and looks like Aussies finally coming out of lockdown for it. Ours is TGG

Thanks Pie tries I know I sound negative and pessimistic but that is never about the game just the prospects at present.

And of course K&C is not even a pale imitation of the real thing.

The court case seems so huge a cost that I still can't see survival afterwards and I think people are underestimating how big this will be largely because RL has survived through so much during its history.

It is also the thought police on here that are very depressing to say the least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

What I am going to do is put you on ignore and if you do the same for me we won't have to worry, will we?

12 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Possible rule changes

Less subs RU

RL - 5 yard off side

Non competitive scrums, its scrums and scrum training that appear to be their issue, 100’s of scrums and un checked hia’s in training appears to be the main issue. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2022 at 01:00, Pigeon Lofter said:

Bang on. One of the legal arguments is that by allowing 8 substitutes in top tier matches, the RFU/ World Rugby intentionally engineered oversized players to fulfil cameo roles in parts of matches before being replaced by another muscle bound freak to then rinse and repeat, neither of whom could last a full 80 minutes as they weren't programmed to play an entire match with their abnormal physique. As a consequence, players got battered  because the chinless wonders and monocled wing commanders thought this was a spiffing idea, guys getting knocking into the middle of next week when all they wanted to do want have a game of ra-ra at the old Cabbage Patch. 

Not disagreeing with that Lofter, but don't tell me it doesn't exist in RL with the 10 to 15 minute behemoths that some clubs employ, everyone of us who regular watch RL could name many forwards not capable of doing 80mins they don't train for it and don't have the aerobic capacity to maintain it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Thanks Pie tries I know I sound negative and pessimistic but that is never about the game just the prospects at present.

And of course K&C is not even a pale imitation of the real thing.

The court case seems so huge a cost that I still can't see survival afterwards and I think people are underestimating how big this will be largely because RL has survived through so much during its history.

It is also the thought police on here that are very depressing to say the least.

Not from everyone- everyone has a right to their views. I'm unbelievably frustrated - we have TGG but are kept in a box - often our own making. We have the NRL - possibly greatest comp in the world in any sport - yet somehow it holds the Int. Game black.

I took my youngest to Headingley last week - despite Wigan getting stuffed it was a brilliant night. Favours city (he’s at Uni there), great stadium, Leeds youth finally coming through, the love for Rob Burrow was seen across both sets of supporters, supporters played full part - not a hint of trouble or nastiness - stadium looked and sound brilliant- great athletes on show - so many positives even in a defeat !!

Keep the faith. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not disagreeing with that Lofter, but don't tell me it doesn't exist in RL with the 10 to 15 minute behemoths that some clubs employ, everyone of us who regular watch RL could name many forwards not capable of doing 80mins they don't train for it and don't have the aerobic capacity to maintain it.

RU and RL forwards not comparable - got to disagree on that one. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, I will just throw in one no more, how about the best prop we have in this country Alex Walmsley, when did you last see him do a full game from kick off till final whistle?

Fair enough, but RU substitute entire front rows and then soon after swap out another four or five forwards, that's a million miles from what RL are doing. 

2 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Fair enough, but RU substitute entire front rows and then soon after swap out another four or five forwards, that's a million miles from what RL are doing. 

Yep, come the world cup, England will use 4 props and 2 hookers in each game - as I expect every other team will do.

This is not a slight on RL, I don't watch the other game I have no time for it, but there are similarities as you have pointed out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, I will just throw in one no more, how about the best prop we have in this country Alex Walmsley, when did you last see him do a full game from kick off till final whistle?

But what is your criteria? If he's the best do you measure what he does when on would that equate to someone being on for the full 80 doing far less?

It would have to be broken down into jobs done, impact, yardage etc down to off the ball work before you could assess this fully.

2 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Not from everyone- everyone has a right to their views. I'm unbelievably frustrated - we have TGG but are kept in a box - often our own making. We have the NRL - possibly greatest comp in the world in any sport - yet somehow it holds the Int. Game black.

I took my youngest to Headingley last week - despite Wigan getting stuffed it was a brilliant night. Favours city (he’s at Uni there), great stadium, Leeds youth finally coming through, the love for Rob Burrow was seen across both sets of supporters, supporters played full part - not a hint of trouble or nastiness - stadium looked and sound brilliant- great athletes on show - so many positives even in a defeat !!

Keep the faith. 

Thanks Pies tries I never said everyone but there are a few, and locking threads when things get a bit touchy is just silly.

The high regard for Rob is one of those things that reminds of why I chose TGG rather than football Salford rather than Man U which would've been so much easier socially etc

I put the main problem on ignore to avoid the issues and I have two on there now, I'm sorry to have to do that because it's not about disagreeing it's attitude about what's okay and what isn't.

I really appreciate your efforts on here and chivvying me along so thanks again.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1