England Matches in 2023

Oh dear, can’t the RFL see from the number of people going that the all stars game isn’t if interest to most people? I’d rather see us play France that weekend instead, here or there, it’s not like their players will be playing anyway as most are in the English league system. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Oh dear, can’t the RFL see from the number of people going that the all stars game isn’t if interest to most people? I’d rather see us play France that weekend instead, here or there, it’s not like their players will be playing anyway as most are in the English league system. 

I agree with this.  After this World Cup, the build up to the next iteration in France will begin.  Surely some tests agsint France and in France is the way forward. 

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A little bit anti-climatic to be playing New Zealand, again, though it will be five years since an England v New Zealand series by next year. It doesn’t particularly excite or interest me, I think they’d have to host a game somewhere interesting and not often used in Rugby League to get me interested.

If it is announced with dates and ticketing prior to the World Cup, it’s a positive. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this.  After this World Cup, the build up to the next iteration in France will begin.  Surely some tests agsint France and in France is the way forward. 

It says in the article that England and/or NZ are likely to play France. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It says in the article that England and/or NZ are likely to play France. 

My reading is that it's one or the other but not both.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's crazy isn't it. The game has a unerring ability to never try and build to anything. These are just safe, and frankly boring, options.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Play France home and away. Combined Nations may be competitive fixture but it has little interest to most people. 

It's still better than the last World Cup here, which was followed up by pretty much giving up on internationals.

And I reckon a 3-match replay of the 2022 World Cup Final which gripped the nation's imagination could sell pretty well 😉

Edited by JonM
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's crazy isn't it. The game has a unerring ability to never try and build to anything. These are just safe, and frankly boring, options.

Mightn`t be such a bad thing if New Zealand are the World Cup champions.

• Like 1

Will be a competitive series against the Kiwis they look good at the moment.

Hopefully France get a mid season game in against Wales and play England or NZ before the test series starts.

Would have liked some of the PI nations to have come also

• Like 1

If England play France as a warm up to the NZ test series, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It would be good if New Zealand played France, too. 

France v Wales mid-season again would be good too, while England play the Combined Nations. 

• Like 1

Would it really be that hard to have England v France, England v New Zealand, New Zealand v France then a final... each team gets at least 2 matches, England and New Zealand probably 3 (as they would have done) and its 4 weekends covered (as it would have been)

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Playing NZ is a good watch , although you can argue Tonga , Samoa and Fiji may have been more attractive  . Good to watch a series again though 

I think the latter three would be more attractive to hardcore RL fans but maybe not the general public, who will associate NZ with the All Blacks and assume (correctly) that they’re good, whereas they’d probably associate the other three with their much weaker Union sides. I think I could more easily persuade my mates to go to an England v NZ test match than I could England v Fiji. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

A little bit anti-climatic to be playing New Zealand, again, though it will be five years since an England v New Zealand series by next year. It doesn’t particularly excite or interest me, I think they’d have to host a game somewhere interesting and not often used in Rugby League to get me interested.

If it is announced with dates and ticketing prior to the World Cup, it’s a positive. 

I agree to an extent but a 3 game series against NZ will be competitive and exciting though.....hopefully at least one game down here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mightn`t be such a bad thing if New Zealand are the World Cup champions.

If we don't win it then NZ would be a good alternative. What would a WC win for the kiwis do for the game there Rocket? Did 2008 help the game push on? Help push a second NRL side?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree to an extent but a 3 game series against NZ will be competitive and exciting though.....hopefully at least one game down here 

Venues will be interesting. One game in London in the World Cup yet Newcastle has four (five in the wider North East region). Do we go back to London? Do we build on Magic and four games in Newcastle? 

I would expect one in London/Newcastle, one in the west of the Pennines and one in the east. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Venues will be interesting. One game in London in the World Cup yet Newcastle has four (five in the wider North East region). Do we go back to London? Do we build on Magic and four games in Newcastle? 

I would expect one in London/Newcastle, one in the west of the Pennines and one in the east. 

Open the series at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium or the Emirates.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)