England Matches in 2023

Rugby League fans: WE WANT INTERNATIONALS!

Also Rugby League fans: NOT AGAINST THEM! I'M NOT BOTHERING!

Rugby League fans: WE MUST SPREAD THE GAME OUTSIDE OF THE HEARTLANDS!

Also Rugby League fans: NOT THERE! NOBODY WILL GO!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets have Saturday afternoon games when soccer has it's international weekends

They normally have international weekends in September, October (usually around Grand Final time) and November, which is usually one weekend. Any RL internationals will need to be played over three weekends, so two will always be covered by football. 

• Like 2

It would be good to see England play France twice before NZ, then NZ play France as their last game. I assume at least one of Australia V NZ or NZ V Tonga will happen before NZ leave so there is time there for at least one game against France, should be 2.

I would have preferred a 4 nations with England, France, NZ & one other. If none of the the pacific Island nations could make it throw Ireland in there who can be pretty competitive with heritage players, or whichever Euro team does well at the World Cup.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Games vs made up teams dont count as Internations IMHO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Games vs made up teams dont count as Internations IMHO

Bit harsh on New Zealand

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

New Zealand is fine.  Just not in West Hams stadium because it is naff for atmosphere.  

RFL  need to just start doing regular games against France too (with more than 5 seconds notice) and drop this rubbish all stars nonsense.  

Thats 4 or 5 proper internationals a year then.  Get Tonga over next time and forget about Australia. 

If we want big crowds and the maximum interest I‘d say get Australia over here. 

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

New Zealand is fine.  Just not in West Hams stadium because it is naff for atmosphere.  

RFL  need to just start doing regular games against France too (with more than 5 seconds notice) and drop this rubbish all stars nonsense.  

Thats 4 or 5 proper internationals a year then.  Get Tonga over next time and forget about Australia. 

If England can't put their best team out, none of the All Stars care about playing (scratching a 17 together 3 days before) and no one wants to watch it, what the hell is the purpose of it?

It would even have more legs if it was an England Knights v Cumbria at Whitehaven if you really wanted a rep fixture like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Yes it's weird ....

If we all support them and go they will thrive and there will be more as it will raise money 

Funny that people don't get it

• Like 1

Fan: "Ralph, I will not attend Elland Road"

RFL: "But we have to make substantial savings"

Fan: "I will not attend Elland Road"

RFL: "But if we go there, we can keep RFL productions going with a skeleton staff of two..."

Fan: "There's no point in finishing your sentence Ralph, i am not attending Elland Road"

RFL: "But if we..."

Fan: "i'll just speak over you. Go on, try and finish the sentence and see what i do. Go on!"

RFL: "..."

Fan: "i am not attending Elland Road, I am not attending Elland Road, I am not attending Elland Road!"

I should be working really.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If we want big crowds and the maximum interest I‘d say get Australia over here. 

If Australia aren't coming because the NRL want their players to stay in Oz then there is no way Tonga or Samoa are coming over.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

If Australia aren't coming because the NRL want their players to stay in Oz then there is no way Tonga or Samoa are coming over.

Aus will be playing Samoa & Tonga.

A long term schedule would be lovely.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

Just now, gingerjon said:

Sadly that is true and just confirms how insular the NRL is. Sadly they can't see the benefits that international Rugby League would bring to the game as a whole

• Like 1

Just now, The Future is League said:

Sadly that is true and just confirms how insular the NRL is. Sadly they can't see the benefits that international Rugby League would bring to the game as a whole

But the NZ players are from the NRL. This doesnt make sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Aus will be playing Samoa & Tonga.

My hunch is that Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji will be playing in Australia but that Australia will not be playing.

But, otherwise, yes, that would be scenario.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

But the NZ players are from the NRL. This doesnt make sense. 

The NZRL has *just* enough pull aware from the NRL centre of gravity to be able to get its players - or enough of them - out.

That does not apply to any of the Pacific Island set-ups which are wholly dependent on Australia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Fan: "Ralph, I will not attend Elland Road"

RFL: "But we have to make substantial savings"

Fan: "I will not attend Elland Road"

RFL: "But if we go there, we can keep RFL productions going with a skeleton staff of two..."

Fan: "There's no point in finishing your sentence Ralph, i am not attending Elland Road"

RFL: "But if we..."

Fan: "i'll just speak over you. Go on, try and finish the sentence and see what i do. Go on!"

RFL: "..."

Fan: "i am not attending Elland Road, I am not attending Elland Road, I am not attending Elland Road!"

I should be working really.

This is the first thing I saw on here having just booked my tickets for the world cup semi-final at...

...Elland Road 😆

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The NZRL has *just* enough pull aware from the NRL centre of gravity to be able to get its players - or enough of them - out.

That does not apply to any of the Pacific Island set-ups which are wholly dependent on Australia.

They even have their own NRL logos and branding for Pacific tests.

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I agree, but we are viewing as outsiders who desperately want the game in the northern hemisphere to grow. From their point of view how would international games against England help them, they have as good teams to play on their doorstep (comparatively) if they want international games, without the need to travel across the globe to play. And State of Origin is of far greater interest to their fans. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think the latter three would be more attractive to hardcore RL fans but maybe not the general public, who will associate NZ with the All Blacks and assume (correctly) that they’re good, whereas they’d probably associate the other three with their much weaker Union sides. I think I could more easily persuade my mates to go to an England v NZ test match than I could England v Fiji. 

The idea that England vs one of the TPLICs* would ever interest the general public in any worthwhile numbers seems completely nutty to me when most won't even have a clue where they are.

* Tin Pot Little Island Countries (a borrowing from Yes, Minister)

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The idea that England vs one of the TPLICs* would ever interest the general public in any worthwhile numbers seems completely nutty to me when most won't even have a clue where they are.

Maybe the general public are a bit brighter than you though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

When England play San Marino at football there are more people paying money to watch the game at Wembley than there are actual residents of San Marino.

The West Indies are a huge draw in cricket - some of their constituent nations have fewer than 60,000 citizens.

Samoa, Tonga and the rest have a resonance with an English audience - in part because of their visibility in union internationals over the years.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You really should watch a different sport. One that is played between big cities, and big nations, on big pitches. 

I'm not being offensive, but you clearly don't like what RL is, why are you wasting your time here, basically insulting RL fans' sport of choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

When England play San Marino at football there are more people paying money to watch the game at Wembley than there are actual residents of San Marino.

The West Indies are a huge draw in cricket - some of their constituent nations have fewer than 60,000 citizens.

Samoa, Tonga and the rest have a resonance with an English audience - in part because of their visibility in union internationals over the years.

Those soccer crowds were for World Cup qualifiers though, outside of that what sort of crowd would they get?

I had forgotten about West Indies in cricket, so maybe there would be a possibility that Tonga or Samoa would draw well enough.  Could the RFL afford the risk of them not drawing well enough though?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

You really should watch a different sport. One that is played between big cities, and big nations, on big pitches. 

I'm not being offensive, but you clearly don't like what RL is, why are you wasting your time here, basically insulting RL fans' sport of choice. 

No thanks, no other sports interest me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree, but we are viewing as outsiders who desperately want the game in the northern hemisphere to grow. From their point of view how would international games against England help them, they have as good teams to play on their doorstep (comparatively) if they want international games, without the need to travel across the globe to play. And State of Origin is of far greater interest to their fans. 

This

Basically of the top 7 sides in the world (8 if you include Cook Islands), only one is in the NH (England).   Why would Tonga / PNG / Samoa etc come to play in England, when they can have yearly run-outs at a fraction of the cost vs NZ / Aus etc.

Now if England toured then I can see them playing England, but coming to England, I don't see until we can get at least France competing at the top table and challenging the top 6.  And for that England need to play france twice a year, and france needs games vs Wales / Ireland as well

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 4