England Matches in 2023

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh wow. Another series against NZ. I can't contain my excitement. :kolobok_suicide:

It will have been five years since the last NZ tour?

That doesn't seem like overkill.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It will have been five years since the last NZ tour?

That doesn't seem like overkill.

Not in that context, but in the context of us not having a series against anyone but them for so long it does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not in that context, but in the context of us not having a series against anyone but them for so long it does. 

No, and I do take that point.

I would rather a Four Nations with NZ, France and Wales - that would at least have a bit of variety - but I am choosing to take the positive in that series v NZ are normally decent and that we seem to know about it well in advance.

All the negatives are still there but England having four games (minimum) next year is a positive.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A repeat of the 2006 Tri series would be great. Two games v NZ in England, England v France (home and away), Fra v NZ (x2) and a final in the UK. England v France x1 can be before NZ come over to shorten time for Kiwis.

Does it really matter if the final is Eng v NZ? The French games will give both Eng/NZ chance to use the wider squad and real prep for France for hosting and on the field for 2025.

• Like 3

Would have liked a 4 nations with England/NZ and 2 from the PI nations,England V NZ opener in London(Olympic/Emirates/WHL) on the Saturday with the other game on the Sunday(Brentford),

Then play the next 2 set of fixtures with a Fri night game say in Wigan followed by the England fixture on the Sat at Bolton,then the following week Fri night at Headingley followed with the England fixture at Elland Rd on the Saturday with the final at the Emirates.

What if a Tonga or Samoa won the World Cup you would want those guys over with NZ every day of the week?

We also have to remember that the RFL and NZRL own a joint loss making NZ company (which was set up for the farcical 2019 GB tour) and maybe the plan is to try and mop up the ####show created from that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, and I do take that point.

I would rather a Four Nations with NZ, France and Wales - that would at least have a bit of variety - but I am choosing to take the positive in that series v NZ are normally decent and that we seem to know about it well in advance.

All the negatives are still there but England having four games (minimum) next year is a positive.

I totally agree with everything you say here, I'm not gonna get enthused by another NZ series but your last point there is spot on, England just playing games is a massive positive no matter who they are against.

I went to the last two NZ series in Hull and it just struck me how there was 23,000 there in 2015 and that dropped to 17,000 in 2018. I think people were finding it hard to get too excited about the exact same game again.

What I will say about that second game as well is there was absolutely no advertising whatsoever in Hull for it. There was advertising all over the city centre for the UK Seniors snooker at the Bonus Arena, even big stickers on the floor on the main shopping streets and billboards and posters but nothing at all for the RL. You wouldn't have had a clue an international sporting event was happening if you didn't follow the sport closely and that will have contributed to the drop in attendance as well. Just another example of the RFL thinking events sell themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Pretty naff if we can't get Tonga or any of the other pacific teams over to tour the UK and France.

Possibly indicates that they have matches lined up in Australia.

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If we don't win it then NZ would be a god alternative. What would a WC win for the kiwis do for the game there Rocket? Did 2008 help the game push on? Help push a second NRL side?

It really all comes down to follow up wins Bedford, without that not a lot would change. This isn`t helped by the Warriors being perennial underachievers so an on-going champion national team could serve the same purpose for League in NZ.

I think it is pretty obvious the Kiwis are crying out for a competitive Rugby League team against Oz, they`ve got us covered in the union and League with its` high profile would become a source of great national pride. To understand this you have to understand the big brother/ little brother ( call it what you will ) relationship we have with the Kiwis.

Certainly if the Warriors started to excel or the Kiwis started beating us regularly I don`t think it would be long before there was a second Kiwi team. And to be honest I think the sky would be the limit if the Kiwis started beating us on a regular basis and have the World Champions crown, that would really get under a lot of Aussies skin and not only League fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Is The Pilot Field not available? 

I'll ask Billy.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ask him if he knows who their record attendance was against too. 

Haywards Heath Town this season?

Unless you have a cunning Norwich City fact to hurl at me.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Scubby said:

A repeat of the 2006 Tri series would be great. Two games v NZ in England, England v France (home and away), Fra v NZ (x2) and a final in the UK. England v France x1 can be before NZ come over to shorten time for Kiwis.

Does it really matter if the final is Eng v NZ? The French games will give both Eng/NZ chance to use the wider squad and real prep for France for hosting and on the field for 2025.

Yes, a return to the Tri Nations format of playing each other twice then a final would work. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scubby said:

Would make sense to go to Spurs again and Newcastle.

Spurs, Newcastle and Wigan would be great choices if it was a 3 test series.

Newcastle might start to get boring if too many big events are held there, and it’s a long way for a lot of people. I’d have one in Yorkshire, one in Lancashire (historic county of) and one in London. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What if a Tonga or Samoa won the World Cup you would want those guys over with NZ every day of the week?

We also have to remember that the RFL and NZRL own a joint loss making NZ company (which was set up for the farcical 2019 GB tour) and maybe the plan is to try and mop up the ####show created from that?

Don't forget the IRL's part ownership...

new rise.jpg