An idea for the NRL/RFL

Seriously want to avoid this turning in to a heated argument, But wouldn’t it better serve the game for the governing bodies to take a neutral political stance , Avoid embroiling them selves in cultural politics, And just concentrate on the game . I just don’t remember growing up any social issues being blasted at me every time I read about or watched the game , I was happy just to see Mal Menninga on the charge or Schoey weaving his magic . 

• Like 4

That's the only solution if the sport is to be expanded in other countries. Just let players wear an armband or at least consult with them first.

I can certainly see both sides of this debate. I completely understand the argument that politics has no place in sport and its a fine line. Also if you back one cause and not another things can get tricky, as a lack of support could be taken that you don't approve of that particular cause, and it's a case of where do you stop and who decides what is a good cause and what is not. 

That said sport does have a role to play in improving attitudes and tolerance in its own sphere. When fans and players are still getting fined for homophobic abuse and racism then it is only right that the sport tries to tackle these things.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I can certainly see both sides of this debate. I completely understand the argument that politics has no place in sport and its a fine line. Also if you back one cause and not another things can get tricky, as a lack of support could be taken that you don't approve of that particular cause, and it's a case of where do you stop and who decides what is a good cause and what is not. 

That said sport does have a role to play in improving attitudes and tolerance in its own sphere. When fans and players are still getting fined for homophobic abuse and racism then it is only right that the sport tries to tackle these things.

Should this apply to Jamaica or Nigeria or any of the Pacific nations? I don't think it is wise for rugby league to take responsibility for improving attitudes and tolerance in these countries.

The difficult part, as I see it, is knowing where to draw the line between what is confronting intolerance, then social inclusion and then where social inclusion becomes political. 

Challenging racism in Rugby League should be acceptable to all but taking the knee is seen as political. 

Welcoming everyone to the sport should (I hope) be a given but Rainbow shirts political. 

It is difficult because we all see this line differently. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Seriously want to avoid this turning in to a heated argument, But wouldn’t it better serve the game for the governing bodies to take a neutral political stance , Avoid embroiling them selves in cultural politics, And just concentrate on the game . I just don’t remember growing up any social issues being blasted at me every time I read about or watched the game , I was happy just to see Mal Menninga on the charge or Schoey weaving his magic . 

That would be nice.  Sunday afternoon is my escape from all the sheeite going on in the world and in both my professional and personal lives. I don't want bombarding with whatever the latest world issues are while I'm relaxing having a pie & a pint, watching Rugby.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The difficult part, as I see it, is knowing where to draw the line between what is confronting intolerance, then social inclusion and then where social inclusion becomes political. 

Challenging racism in Rugby League should be acceptable to all but taking the knee is seen as political. 

Welcoming everyone to the sport should (I hope) be a given but Rainbow shirts political. 

It is difficult because we all see this line differently. 

How about just doing being inclusive, which RL has a long and proud tradition of.

Just ditch the "look at us and what nice cuddly people we are" rollocks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I was happy just to see Mal Menninga on the charge or Schoey weaving his magic . 

Speaking of Mal Meninga, this whole situation has the potential to get ugly, Meninga will be cursing the NRL because they`ve probably just made it a whole lot harder for him to convince a significant number of players to turn out for Oz.

Alternatively they`ve probably just made it easier for some of the Pacific Islands to recruit players, who may now view it as some sort of religious crusade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

How about just doing being inclusive, which RL has a long and proud tradition of.

Just ditch the "look at us and what nice cuddly people we are" rollocks. 

I agree with this in part.

A number of black players told us recently of the negative experiences that they have had in our game and as far as I can see absolutely nothing was done to investigate these experiences.

So, our long and proud tradition appears to me to be failing us a little.

What I do agree on though is that actions are far more important than gestures.... and if you are going to do the gestures then at least back them up with action otherwise they are meaningless.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To be honest my opinion is more that it's the broadcast partner, than the actual league(s), that push these agendas. When you're at the actual stadium, depending what on trend social issue is being highlighted that particular game, it's certainly doesn't affect the overall spectacle of the game. The same can't be said on TV at times. As a more general point, as Dunbar said, I'd prefer we deal with issues that are linked to our game with decisive actions rather than symbolic gestures. And following up on Damien's comments - he's absolutely right, who dictates which ones are worthy and which are not? My cynical view, which i'm sure many others share, is that RL just jumps on the coat tails of what others are doing without much thought of whether it's right for our game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

As an aside, it’s amusing how so many angry men refer to things being “shoved down their throat” when it comes to homosexuality being in the media.

At least quote the person you are referring to.

1 hour ago, RL Tragic said:

Completely agree 

I follow the game as a way to relax and the politicking makes me less relaxed.

I want to drink beer, watch a great spectacle, chat about RL gossip and forget about my own and other peoples problems 

During the week for the day job is where I make my difference 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Speaking of Mal Meninga, this whole situation has the potential to get ugly, Meninga will be cursing the NRL because they`ve probably just made it a whole lot harder for him to convince a significant number of players to turn out for Oz.

Alternatively they`ve probably just made it easier for some of the Pacific Islands to recruit players, who may now view it as some sort of religious crusade.

Yes it is great isn't it ☺️...

Not for Australia of course but overall great

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

For me it actually just feels like copying football and all its bullsh*t corporate sloganeering.  Being lectured by people who play for teams owned by murderers and arab dictatorships about gay rights or human rights.  

All those social justice footballers who will be hopping to Qatar.  League always had a better approach.  Do you want to get involved in League?  Yep . Ok then. 

Good point about the hypocrisy of millionaire footballers 

Has anyone called any of the players out on their trip to Qatar?

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Just so I've got it clear, rainbow on shirt = political, poppy on shirt = non-political?

That's usually how it goes.

Marine abseiling in to a ground to hand over the match ball before we sing a Christian song and then a prayer to the monarch = also non political.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Our sport was of course formed out of politics - a drive for inclusion. I don't think any of us would argue against us continuing to push to include as many people as possible in the game.

There doesn't need to be any overarching campaign for that, it's just a matter of being welcoming and outward looking. Although a 'The greatest game - for all' type campaign wouldn't be political, it would be for everyone no matter what their politics/immutable characteristics.

Beyond that, our clubs do some great community outreach work and stuff like donating left over match day food and things. Again, if this isn't being aimed at particular groups based on their politics, religion, culture or other identities, but is truly inclusive then I am full of praise. 

The problem seems to come when the organisers select specific groups to focus their energies at - based on race or sexuality, etc. Not only can this mean that there are religious objections to 'promoting sinful lifestyles', etc, but by focusing on a particular group you can't focus on the others and it therefore always becomes political because you are favouring a particular group or cause.

If we stuck to promoting RL being welcoming for all (rather than specific groups), it keeps the political angle out of it and as a society we can just promote equal treatment for everyone.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 4