Hornets v Swinton

“Rochdale Hornets can confirm that Matt Calland has left his role as Head Coach by mutual consent.”

Very sorry indeed to hear this, particularly given his experience and his championing of Rochdale connections, especially via Mayfield. Naturally, he had hopes for this season, with our Chairman enthused on retaining his service:  “I can also genuinely say that I haven’t worked with a coach with such a strong desire to bring success to a club, a club I know he cares about deeply.”  
So what has changed and why now?

We are in the play-offs, having posted some impressive scores and yes, conceded too many at times, but still a chance of a higher place.   Of late, there have been a lot of new player introductions, some for as long as two weeks!  Our discipline hasn’t been great, probably from the Keighley game (incidentally, I believe yesterday’s game was refereed by the brother of the official at Keighley!).  

I wish Matt every success for the future ( Oldham is near local, if he’s brave!).

Now it’s up to you Gary Thornton……good luck for the remainder of the season and play-offs. Keep up the dressing room ‘music’?’ sessions

13 minutes ago, glemiln said:

“Rochdale Hornets can confirm that Matt Calland has left his role as Head Coach by mutual consent.”

Very sorry indeed to hear this, particularly given his experience and his championing of Rochdale connections, especially via Mayfield. Naturally, he had hopes for this season, with our Chairman enthused on retaining his service:  “I can also genuinely say that I haven’t worked with a coach with such a strong desire to bring success to a club, a club I know he cares about deeply.”  
So what has changed and why now?

We are in the play-offs, having posted some impressive scores and yes, conceded too many at times, but still a chance of a higher place.   Of late, there have been a lot of new player introductions, some for as long as two weeks!  Our discipline hasn’t been great, probably from the Keighley game (incidentally, I believe yesterday’s game was refereed by the brother of the official at Keighley!).  

I wish Matt every success for the future ( Oldham is near local, if he’s brave!).

Now it’s up to you Gary Thornton……good luck for the remainder of the season and play-offs. Keep up the dressing room ‘music’?’ sessions

The two “ D’s “ win you games - defence and discipline. Neither has been good enough this season.

Very sorry to see us lose Matt Calland as his heart and soul is in this club, not to mention his links with Mayfield and Hopwood Hall.

I feel it’s always sad that a coach takes all the flack and his job is precarious at the best of times when, in reality, it’s often the player(s) who should be questioned about what he does on the paddock. 

Whatever Matt does in the future I wish him well.

• Like 1

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

The team has looked directionless with unconvincing wins over teams below us and not a single win over any team above he has left the club realistically making up the numbers in the playoffs. I said he should have not been given a permanent position after his embarrassing record over the latter half of the 2019 championship campaign.

We have lost the physical hard hitting defense that had become part of our identity and replaced it with sloppy tackling and penalty ridden mistakes, the fast paced passing and good kicking has long gone in its stead are offloading at ridiculous times and kicking with no thought behind it. Cards have now become an every game occurrence we have always been physical but not dirty. There have been games were we have looked to good for teams but immediately fail to back it up in the next game.

But the worst part is the lack of leadership or passion i see on the field, players looking around for someone to take charge, no communication or plan B sometimes no plan A. This is something that needed to be done but i hope the next coach isn't picked based on his past with Hornets but what he will bring in the future.

Edited by The Lad

4 hours ago, ornit4ever said:

Very sorry to see us lose Matt Calland as his heart and soul is in this club, not to mention his links with Mayfield and Hopwood Hall.

I feel it’s always sad that a coach takes all the flack and his job is precarious at the best of times when, in reality, it’s often the player(s) who should be questioned about what he does on the paddock. 

Whatever Matt does in the future I wish him well.

Absolutely 100% agree with you there mate. It's wrong that the coach always shoulders the blame when things go wrong. The whole squad should be accountable. Live by the sword,die by the sword.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, glemiln said:

https://t.co/JNIxUyfUVV
It seems that changes have started, at least for this season, with 3 newcomers from Warrington announced.

Absolutely ridiculous the loan system, I dont know how many of our players will be suspended for the forthcoming games, but to allow clubs ( not only Hornets ) to just go and get loans to make the numbers up, is making a mockery of the system.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Athleticgrounds said:

Absolutely ridiculous the loan system, I dont know how many of our players will be suspended for the forthcoming games, but to allow clubs ( not only Hornets ) to just go and get loans to make the numbers up, is making a mockery of the system.

Given how appallingly bad our discipline has been this last few weeks, we've probably got a few players carrying/facing bans. Add injuries (Jy, for certain) and we're probably scraping the bottom of a pretty thin squad. Three young lads signed on loan as cover? No biggy at this end of the season: everyone's doing it, even in the NRL.

What's done is done. It's in Gary's hands now. He's transformed clubs he's been at previously and turned them into serious contenders. Three times coach of the year in the Champs and L1.  Needs a big push from everyone for a big finish to the season - and that means the players being squeaky clean to avoid referees reffing us on our reputation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Athleticgrounds said:

I dont know how many of our players will be suspended for the forthcoming games,

Pat Moran - Grade B 1, match ban

Gavin Bennion - Grade C, 2 match ban

Zac Baker - Grade D, referred to tribunal