Fri 29-Sun 31 Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Well played Hurricanes. Well organised team with a scrum half who bossed the game.

Disappointed as I am,I must also praise the ref,who had a decent game.

ย 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Outstanding performance from the Hurricanes tonight!ย 

ย 

ย 

17 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Cant believe how poor Hunslet are nowadays

Really well deserved win from the hurricanes ๐Ÿ‘ - how many did they have on loan? (not a dig, most teams are doing it - just curious about who played)

Are Hunslet really poor (i think thatโ€™s a harsh assessment) - or just living within their means after a drop in central funding from around ยฃ80,000 to ยฃ ยฃ18,000 -I think a few of the so called established northern teams that are having a slightly disappointing season are just cutting their cloth accordingly to the budget in terms of who they can afford to sign.

ย 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Templegreen said:

ย 

Really well deserved win from the hurricanes ๐Ÿ‘ - how many did they have on loan? (not a dig, most teams are doing it - just curious about who played)

Are Hunslet really poor (i think thatโ€™s a harsh assessment) - or just living within their means after a drop in central funding from around ยฃ80,000 to ยฃ ยฃ18,000 -I think a few of the so called established northern teams that are having a slightly disappointing season are just cutting their cloth accordingly to the budget in terms of who they can afford to sign.

ย 

As far as I know 2 loans from HKR, 1 from Cas, 1 from Newcastle. Should say the injury list at the moment is 10+ players (it's a hard league!) so any players in are to fill gaps. But saying that some of the lads have taken their opportunity well and played great.ย 

In terms of Hunslets budget their chairman is a good man who has to manage a tight budget. Their fans (not all of them) seem to have quite unrealistic expectations for where they are in the game. Losing to a 'expansion team' does not sit well with a lot of them.ย 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

ย 

ย 

its a lot easier to cut back money wise in the north than in the south for sure. smaller pool of playersย 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Cant believe how poor Hunslet are nowadays

In all fairness to Hunslet I was at the game last week when they played the Cru. Hunslet have a young side and some big forwards. They had us worried for the bulk of the match and we only secured the win in the last few minutes.

• Like 1

Ht. Hornets down 6-36 against Swinton, not helped by two Hornet yellows, 7 and 17 min. Currently, 6-44.

At least Hornets has qualified for the play-offs!

With some 10 mins to endure itโ€™s 16 - 52 and Hornets have had another yellow and one red!

Edited by glemiln

47 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Ht. Hornets down 6-36 against Swinton, not helped by two Hornet yellows, 7 and 17 min. Currently, 6-44.

At least Hornets has qualified for the play-offs!

With some 10 mins to endure itโ€™s 16 - 52 and Hornets have had another yellow and one red!

jeez, what's happened to the discipline???

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Looks like a decent win for the Cru, a bit closer than some of us thought it would be - looks like Tommy Johnson left his kicking boots at home as he only landed two. Interesting round in a way with Rochdale falling to pieces (pity, they could have done us a favour by beating Swinton) and Joe Mbu now looking as if he's getting the Skolars up and running.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Looks like a decent win for the Cru, a bit closer than some of us thought it would be - looks like Tommy Johnson left his kicking boots at home as he only landed two. Interesting round in a way with Rochdale falling to pieces (pity, they could have done us a favour by beating Swinton) and Joe Mbu now looking as if he's getting the Skolars up and running.

Skolars lack any strength in depth, but when they can put out their main team they have a solid set of big forwards & an outstanding fullback. Their backs are fast & powerful & look threatening, but the backs make very basic errors (3 play the ball errors in 1st half, offside from goal kick etc & in many games this season numerous missed tackles leading to lots of tries conceded on the edge- which is where teams stronger than Cornwall have scored & taken control of games.) If Mbu can get the backs to cut out these basic errors iโ€™m confident Skolars could win against sone of the heartland teans.

Edited by student
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, student said:

Skolars lack any strength in depth, but when they can put out their main team they have a solid set of big forwards & an outstanding fullback. Their backs are fast & powerful & look threatening, but the backs make very basic errors (3 play the ball errors in 1st half, offside from goal kick etc & in many games this season numerous missed tackles leading to lots of tries conceded on the edge- which is where teams stronger than Cornwall have scored & taken control of games.) If Mbu can get the backs to cut out these basic errors iโ€™m confident Skolars could win against sone of the heartland teans.

still a young team it will come.

6 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Don't like that Cru seemed to have turned that one into a bit of a grind, think it would have been a better margin if tj converted more of the tries......looks like we're going back to being a second half team.

To be fair, Oldham managed the game really well in the first half and we didn't get into many attacking positions....but the second half was a different story and apart from one excellent Olham try we pretty much controlled the game. Conditions were blustery and the majority of the tries were out on the sidelines not giving TJ an easy afternoon - but we have seen him nail kicks from those positions, just not this weekend.

A good win away from home keeps us in 2nd for now with Swinton breathing down our necks.

The top 6 look nailed on for now and Cougars look unlikely to take a backwards step its all to play for to get points difference and secure a decent slot for the playoffs.

• Thanks 1