Sat 30-Sun 31 Jul: The Betfred Championship - Summer Bash Match Thread

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Anyone seen the attendance's for the 2 days ?

Yes, it was appaling.  Between 6 and 7k on the Saturday and between 4 and 5 on the Sunday.  At least thats what I think I read.  So probably at least 5k down on previous bashes.  Down to location and timing (Commonwealth games/ Womens Euro Final)  RFL as fixture planners are next to useless 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here we go again .....

I have waited a couple of days before posting this, and these are my observations around the whole Summer Bash at Headingley..

• The stands looked so empty, when we kicked off at 12.45.. (Eagles vs London), and even as we finished the ground still looked 10% full
  • Why no fanzones either inside Headingley or for that matter in Leeds City Centre 
  • Food Prices and choice where rubbish, no healthy options and £2.50 for a bottle of Oasis, robbing barstewards... spoke to some Workington Fans, who get what looked nice and then someone asked them how much for Chickedn and Chips £9 no thanks... 
  • Stewards - what a crock of rubbish, intimadating, awkward interactions, not knowing where things where, no help at all, we where told to get to the west terrace a direction, and then when we go there the steward tried sending us the other way, thank god for a non steward member of staff who told him to let us through... 
  • No Bins - what a dump the place looked even after the first game.. rubbish everywhere... 
  • Shop  - Why no Championship shirts been sold, just the ###### Rhinos and the Scotland Shirt, sorry England Shirt and training tops.. and some NRL stuff.. Surely selling Championship Club Shirts at a Championship weekend is a must... 
  • No Programme, which ever dumb idiot though this was a good idea needs firing immediately, as that would have been money in the pocket of the RFL, and lots and lots of people where bemused by this.. 

Walking through Leeds you would have thought nowt was happening all weekend, the RFL need market this better, and get people in the ground and excited about RL and the Summer Bash

All in all, a weekend of Good RL, spoiled by poor location, poor marketing and poor decision making by the RFL... 

Edited by mozzauk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Yes, it was appaling.  Between 6 and 7k on the Saturday and between 4 and 5 on the Sunday.  At least thats what I think I read.  So probably at least 5k down on previous bashes.  Down to location and timing (Commonwealth games/ Womens Euro Final)  RFL as fixture planners are next to useless 

I don't think the RFL can be blamed for not taking the women's euro final into account. There are very few free weekends in the sporting calendar and I would not prioritise the bash to go into one of them over other RL events.

You're basically getting the away support of six championship clubs plus a few neutral people. If that added up to 4k on Sunday, I'm impressed. Couple of thousand from Widnes, couple of hundred from Barrow & Whitehaven, bit more than that from York, bit less than that from Workington, less again from Newcastle would've been my guess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

I have waited a couple of days before posting this, and these are my observations around the whole Summer Bash at Headingley..

• The stands looked so empty, when we kicked off at 12.45.. (Eagles vs London), and even as we finished the ground still looked 10% full
  • Why no fanzones either inside Headingley or for that matter in Leeds City Centre 
  • Food Prices and choice where rubbish, no healthy options and £2.50 for a bottle of Oasis, robbing barstewards... spoke to some Workington Fans, who get what looked nice and then someone asked them how much for Chickedn and Chips £9 no thanks... 
  • Stewards - what a crock of rubbish, intimadating, awkward interactions, not knowing where things where, no help at all, we where told to get to the west terrace a direction, and then when we go there the steward tried sending us the other way, thank god for a non steward member of staff who told him to let us through... 
  • No Bins - what a dump the place looked even after the first game.. rubbish everywhere... 
  • Shop  - Why no Championship shirts been sold, just the ###### Rhinos and the Scotland Shirt, sorry England Shirt and training tops.. and some NRL stuff.. Surely selling Championship Club Shirts at a Championship weekend is a must... 
  • No Programme, which either dumb idiot though this was a good idea needs firing immediately, as that would have been money in the pocket of the RFL, and lots and lots of people where bemused by this.. 

Walking through Leeds you would have thought nowt was happening all weekend, the RFL need market this better, and get people in the ground and excited about RL and the Summer Bash

All in all, a weekend of Good RL, spoiled by poor location, poor marketing and poor decision making by the RFL... 

Are you sure that they did not get the senior management of London Broncos to organise this, as this sounds very close to what happened with London at the grand opening at PL

It's time for a complete rethink of the entire concept. 

A case can be made for the Summer Bash when it is based on the concept of taking the entire Championship family 'away' for a weekend in Blackpool (or similar). I remember when it first started and thousands of Bulls fans booked the entire weekend in B&Bs in Blackpool. It helped that we were decent then (as opposed to being ###### nowadays)

The idea of taking it to Headingley completely ruined the idea that was perhaps flawed in the first place.

I watched the whole weekend and it seemed to me that most people simply watched their game and then went home. I'm sure some diehards stayed longer, but the 'crowd' looked pitiful by the end. I doubt if more than 300-400 people were in the ground by the second half of the Newcastle vs York game. It looked awful.

Everything I've read here about lack of a fan zone, poor stewarding, lack of food options is typical two-bob RFL mentality. 

It's was, like, let's use a cheap heartland ground, do everything on the cheap and let's just hope that all the Championship supporters will buy tickets.

Well, it looked like people saw through it and said 'no thanks'

The RFL need to come up with a compelling idea for the Bash--or bin it. I'd go for the latter.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

I assume they're the ones Leeds normally use which is a bit worrying.  One way system to get into the West end was ridiculous. Funnelling exiting fans into a clear choke point in the corner instead of making the exit the much wider rear steps was particularly brainless.  Although depending on how lazy the steward policing this was, they either waved through or demanded papers and a DNA test if you tried to go the wrong way.

Only about half of them seemed to understand English, which would be a bit of a worry in an emergency situation.

Then there was Eva Braun running round giving a rollocking to anyone that dared to have a vape (in the open air). Thankfully she gave up when a critical mass of vapers arrived.  I just don't get the logic of banning it in the open air, it's exactly the same stuff that a steaming hot cup of tea gives off - water.  It's a rule that is quite rightly ignored.

Full disclosure - I'm a vaper that got a rollocking

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Confused 1

On 31/07/2022 at 10:42, JonM said:

Presumably their coaches were told to park in one place, and everyone knew where to meet at the end, and they were told something different part way through the game.

That's it Jon , contacted Leeds 5 weeks ago ( only club/coach organisers to do so apparently ) they listened and were very helpful , Al sorted and confirmed on Thursday 

First coaches arrive at dinner , all changed , yes we received a call from Leeds telling us just after the event , then later coaches arrive , so we requested somebody to take them to the parking area , were refused , the area round Headingley is a rabbit Warren of streets , so I ended up ' kicking off ' big style with the stewards and police outside the main gates , they said fans would have to go to the coach park after the game instead of the agreed Gate G where we had been dropped off and it had been agreed to reboard  , this I point blank refused to sort out 

" We'll be coming here , all 300 , and we aren't going anywhere else " , so after nearly getting arrested it was suggested I enter the ground and enjoy the game , " so you think I can enjoy the game , with 300 fans not knowing where they'll be getting back on their transport ? " , Similar situation to Tottenham 

Then half way through the game we get a message from one of the drivers that the coaches will be at gate D , not great but fine , surely Leeds will have some stewards at the agreed Gate G to tell fans where gate D was ? 

Nope , not a soul there 

Absolute shambles , not contacted Leeds yet but will be tomorrow , the two people I spoke to were extremely helpful , so who changed things ? , We had all this happen 8 years ago at the GF 

I've not been on here since sat night as my internet is down at home ( I'm in Maccys at Warrington right now ) , but it seems it wasn't just myself that was less than impressed with the Bash at Leeds , never again , it isn't fit for the purpose of anything other than a Leeds game 

Crappy ground , poor stewarding , bad organising 

###### basically 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Hopefully not one that blows the "vape" over other ever is close by. It causes problems for my wife with her heart and lung problems.

Personally because some don't care that's what tends to happen I prefer that they would enforce the ban - so sorry to disagree.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Hopefully not one that blows the "vape" over other ever is close by. It causes problems for my wife with her heart and lung problems.

Personally because some don't care that's what tends to happen I prefer that they would enforce the ban - so sorry to disagree.

I can understand banning it in enclosed spaces for the very reasons you cite (plus some people have some bloody awful flavours).  But banning it in the open air is frankly absurd.

27 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I can understand banning it in enclosed spaces for the very reasons you cite (plus some people have some bloody awful flavours).  But banning it in the open air is frankly absurd.

yep maybe...

its not so much the awful flavours... more the awful manners that some have...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

I assume they're the ones Leeds normally use which is a bit worrying.  One way system to get into the West end was ridiculous. Funnelling exiting fans into a clear choke point in the corner instead of making the exit the much wider rear steps was particularly brainless.  Although depending on how lazy the steward policing this was, they either waved through or demanded papers and a DNA test if you tried to go the wrong way.

Only about half of them seemed to understand English, which would be a bit of a worry in an emergency situation.

Then there was Eva Braun running round giving a rollocking to anyone that dared to have a vape (in the open air). Thankfully she gave up when a critical mass of vapers arrived.  I just don't get the logic of banning it in the open air, it's exactly the same stuff that a steaming hot cup of tea gives off - water.  It's a rule that is quite rightly ignored.

Standing near to a vaper is a deeply unpleasant experience, in an enclosed space or not. I'm glad you got bollocked because it breaches ground regulations and it makes other people's experience materially worse.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mozzauk said:

• No Programme, which ever dumb idiot though this was a good idea needs firing immediately, as that would have been money in the pocket of the RFL, and lots and lots of people where bemused by this.. 

There is a programme to read online and you can also order a paper one to be sent out.

32 minutes ago, M j M said:

Standing near to a vaper is a deeply unpleasant experience, in an enclosed space or not. I'm glad you got bollocked because it breaches ground regulations and it makes other people's experience materially worse.

We'll need to agree to disagree on that.  

I regard it as an egregious infringement of my civil liberties.

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

We'll need to agree to disagree on that.  

I regard it as an egregious infringement of my civil liberties.

You were on private property.Either you abide by the rules set down by the owners, and show a little respect for people trying to enjoy themselves around you, or you leave. "Civil liberties" don't enter into it.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 5

this is going to get the thread locked.  What we all can agree on is that doing the Bash on the cheap in a basic city with nothing to attract the fans other than the games is a disaster.

Either scrap it, or put it back in a non RL location so its a day out for the supporters, and not just another away game on the calander

• Like 5

I wasn't going to go initially, as a Leyther who likes Blackpool I was a bit miffed it got moved to Leeds.  But decided to go and it was just ok. Hopefully back at Blackpool next year and I'll be there whether were in SL or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M j M said:

You were on private property.Either you abide by the rules set down by the owners, and show a little respect for people trying to enjoy themselves around you, or you leave. "Civil liberties" don't enter into it.

As I said, we’ll need to agree to disagree. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Rules are for other people.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Patx71 said:

I wasn't going to go initially, as a Leyther who likes Blackpool I was a bit miffed it got moved to Leeds.  But decided to go and it was just ok. Hopefully back at Blackpool next year and I'll be there whether were in SL or not.

You will be in SL.

On 31/07/2022 at 21:34, The Blues Ox said:

Its nice to have the event but could they not decide the fixtures after a good number of rounds? I mean what difference would that make if you just decided it were 1v2, 3v4, 4v5 etc after x amount of rounds? At least it would not be stacked in some teams favor then.

This for me. You could build from starting with the relegation 4 pointer and end with 1st vs 2nd. The round would have much more impact and fixtures could be set two weeks before the event. I would rather Batley play the next in the league than relegation fodder!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

19 hours ago, crashmon said:

Are you sure that they did not get the senior management of London Broncos to organise this, as this sounds very close to what happened with London at the grand opening at PL

The personnel for RL and many other hangers on were too busy getting fed and watered at a posh hotel to worry about what was actually happening. It’s systematic of the culture in this country st present - look after yourself and if you are lucky enough to be at the top or inner circle, stay there, don’t make waves and keep taking the spoils!

why organise for the club furthest away to play first agains one of the clubs closest to the ground! Shocking planning unless of course no one cares about London - oh that’s right - they don’t! 
the most sensible choice of opener would have been Fax v Bradford as both local and bring big numbers to get the stands going! Put London 2nd or 3rd! 
let’s have a open declaration of costs for the weekend and how much Leeds got/RL and how that was broken down! Bet expenses were a high cost factor

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Patx71 said:

I went and was massively disappointed! Spent years listening to how expensive the food and beer is in London and then get charged £4.50 for a substandard pint and the same for chips and cheese!!!!

Felt I’d been mugged. All pubs close to the ground closed by 11pm unless had music and you were in before a certain time which, having gone for food made it impossible as stayed to watch the Leigh show😂

Edited by watcherofRL

23 hours ago, crashmon said:

So I would do it based in the following criteria

1) Teams in the playoffs previous season should be matched, teams outside playoffs should be matched

2) Then where possible, teams who have derby's who meet the ciritera above should be matched

So looking at the current table (and please do not hate on me here on some assumptions)

• Fev / Leigh  vs Tolouse /Wakefield
  • Fax v Batley
  • Barrow v York
  • Bradford v Keithley (assuming Keithley get promoted)
  • Widnes v Swinton \ NW crusaders \ Haven (if Donny get promoted)
  • Thunder v Haven \ Donny (if Donny Promoted)
  • London v Sheffield

I think this would be the most likely scenario to have competitive games in the Bash, while trying to keep some focus on geography.

Any extra game outside of the Home and away format, could skew the league positions.  For example soeone could miss out on the play-offs by 2 points.  Someone could get relegated due to the results in the extra round.  Imagine for example Dewsbury get relegated but if they had won their game at the bash they would have escaped.  What would have happened had they played Workington instead of Batley.  Also Fev could yet end up third especialy if they lose against Widnes and Fax.  That would mean an extra game in the playoffs due to having played Leigh three times.

Edited by DemonUK
  • Like 3

Here we go again .....