Sat 30 Jul: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (UK Time)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 17:30

Just on my way home from my second Leeds match of the weekend (LUFC vs Cagliari this time) and I think I've had enough time to collect some thoughts on THAT match.

Firstly Catalans. Seemed unusually cautious; taking penalties instead of going for the kill, even when the penalty didn't increase the number of tries needed by Leeds or when Leeds were down to 12 men. It always strikes me as a moral victory for an RL side when your oppo's would rather take two than back themselves to beat your defence to score a try. 

As I said at half time, Catalans did look beatable. Their right edge wasn't interested in defending, and their left was very large and cumbersome. In the two times in the first half that we actually attacked Catalans 20, we nearly scored and then did score. They seemed to think it was job done when Prior was sent off with 25 to go, and even my Hull FC supporting mate started to side with Leeds when he saw some of the calls going against us. Ultimately Catalans didn't press their advantages in either half (including the roasting sun) anywhere near as much as they should have.

Secondly, Leeds. What a turnaround. It seemed like some of our players were still on the plane in the first half. We made it incredibly difficult for ourselves with indiscipline. Yet we always seemed to look dangerous in their 20. When Prior went off I remarked to my mates that now was the time to play "banter rugby", ie joué joué. Remarkably, that is exactly what we did. Catalans started to pack up shop but Leeds refused to engage in their attempts to make the game conservative. It really was a tremendous show of resilience and fortitude when they could have collapsed. Neither us nor the Catalans fans around us could believe what we saw. Even getting a try rather than a drop goal in golden point was part of the disregard Leeds appeared to give to the standard methods of winning a rugby match.

In general, the game was scrappy and lacking rhythm, particularly in the first half. Catalans were a fantastic club to visit with excellent approach to what gameday can be, something English clubs could take note of. They are a wonderful addition to Super League and I hope more Anglo-French rugby can be played in future. Sam Tomkins did nothing to endear himself to anyone, and him losing so hilariously (we were laughing at some of the tries) was very satisfying. My friends who I met there also spoke glowingly about Toulouse.

Despite the consecutive 5am starts required, it was truly worth it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just on my way home from my second Leeds match of the weekend (LUFC vs Cagliari this time) and I think I've had enough time to collect some thoughts on THAT match.

Firstly Catalans. Seemed unusually cautious; taking penalties instead of going for the kill, even when the penalty didn't increase the number of tries needed by Leeds or when Leeds were down to 12 men. It always strikes me as a moral victory for an RL side when your oppo's would rather take two than back themselves to beat your defence to score a try. 

As I said at half time, Catalans did look beatable. Their right edge wasn't interested in defending, and their left was very large and cumbersome. In the two times in the first half that we actually attacked Catalans 20, we nearly scored and then did score. They seemed to think it was job done when Prior was sent off with 25 to go, and even my Hull FC supporting mate started to side with Leeds when he saw some of the calls going against us. Ultimately Catalans didn't press their advantages in either half (including the roasting sun) anywhere near as much as they should have.

Secondly, Leeds. What a turnaround. It seemed like some of our players were still on the plane in the first half. We made it incredibly difficult for ourselves with indiscipline. Yet we always seemed to look dangerous in their 20. When Prior went off I remarked to my mates that now was the time to play "banter rugby", ie joué joué. Remarkably, that is exactly what we did. Catalans started to pack up shop but Leeds refused to engage in their attempts to make the game conservative. It really was a tremendous show of resilience and fortitude when they could have collapsed. Neither us nor the Catalans fans around us could believe what we saw. Even getting a try rather than a drop goal in golden point was part of the disregard Leeds appeared to give to the standard methods of winning a rugby match.

In general, the game was scrappy and lacking rhythm, particularly in the first half. Catalans were a fantastic club to visit with excellent approach to what gameday can be, something English clubs could take note of. They are a wonderful addition to Super League and I hope more Anglo-French rugby can be played in future. Sam Tomkins did nothing to endear himself to anyone, and him losing so hilariously (we were laughing at some of the tries) was very satisfying. My friends who I met there also spoke glowingly about Toulouse.

Despite the consecutive 5am starts required, it was truly worth it.

Whilst gutted Leeds won, this was a game for the ages and something to show what the game could be.

The poster above saying what a positive experience it was, please could you forward that to... 

Mr K Davy

John Smiths

Huddersfield

... I would be most grateful 😉

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The lad is proving more and more that he has a slate or two loose, or with his 'self earned' reputation was it a justified call by the ref?

Probably a fair call, though I do think he is given less leeway by referees though.  Other than that incident he was very good.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Probably a fair call, though I do think he is given less leeway by referees though.  Other than that incident he was very good.

When player's justifiably earn the 'bad lad' reputation they always get targeted by very wary refs trying to ensure there is no escalation in proceedings from those who seek to administer there own punishment.

It won't happen as much in today's  game but it was par for the course not that long ago, and would more likely than not be the reason for full on melees.

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He wasn't everywhere in defence when Leeds made the comeback, that's the trouble Wg, he is now only good on the offensive part of a full backs play they do have another function to perform as the last line of defence.

If you rely on your fullback to keep attackers at bay youre already beaten.

There is no fullback in the world that coud stop either Ponga, tedesco or any worldclass striker the coming WC without support from his defensive line.

Besides, Tomkins saved our ass multiple times this season including as a last resort tackler. He cant do that if the other guys do not cover him.

WELL DONE Leeds (They will be back for the August bank holiday match) nothing really to say apart from the fact that the Dragons totally blew it:(

Have posted up a short video on the my French RL you tube blog (Will make an effort to do some links later on this week to get some viewers) visited Rivesaltes before the game which was creepy.

Apologies for my Yorkshire pit village comment at the Toulouse match we are all a bit flat Hull FC also deserved their win:)

Leaving tomorrow up to Hull KR on Thursday lets see if Toulouse improve, Wigan v Wolves Friday then Beckenham Sunday for the cricket Kent v Hampshire in the Royal London 1 day cup (Which has been totally destroyed by the ECB in favour of the hundred circus:((((((((

Have a good week

Cheers

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN