D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Some interesting thoughts here. Plus a reason given for so many training tops being released. So maybe some method in the madness?

I disagree with him (which you can see in the replies 🤣) I think the argument of changing the kit colour for this WC because the navy training range sold well is another really weak argument and as I said to him, the RFL’s line of sales of shirts in a day is also massively flawed as it’s not comparing like for like and without any figures or data its just a meaningless soundbite from Oxen.

You simply cannot compare sales of a full price shirt (especially as it was unclear if the tournament would go ahead) with sales of a shirt that either has 50% off or is part of a two for one deal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I disagree with him (which you can see in the replies 🤣) I think the argument of changing the kit colour for this WC because the navy training range sold well is another really weak argument and as I said to him, the RFL’s line of sales of shirts in a day is also massively flawed as it’s not comparing like for like and without any figures or data its just a meaningless soundbite from Oxen.

You simply cannot compare sales of a full price shirt (especially as it was unclear if the tournament would go ahead) with sales of a shirt that either has 50% off or is part of a two for one deal

I've not watched any of the promo stuff with the sound on - do they mention the 13 chevrons at all there?

Cos if you're going to put that detail on then it would make sense to tell people.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Minor point, I know, but I don't see how they are 13 chevrons on that shirt, unless you're counting the white bits in between the blue chevrons. But that doesn't make sense to me because white is the colour of the actual shirt, it's the blue bits that are chevrons. It's a white shirt with blue chevrons.

You wouldn't say the Kangaroos jersey has 3 chevrons, you'd describe it as a green jersey with 2 gold chevrons.

Edited by nadera78
  • Thanks 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Minor point, I know, but I don't see how they are 13 chevrons on that shirt, unless you're counting the white bits in between the blue chevrons. But that doesn't make sense to me because white is the colour of the actual shirt, it's the blue bits that are chevrons. It's a white shirt with blue chevrons.

You wouldn't say the Kangaroos jersey has 3 chevrons, you'd describe it as a green jersey with 2 gold chevrons.

Well, quite.

19 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Thats another Oxen special. The Leeds 2021 home shirt had 7 hoops on it apparently...

• Like 1

England RL really doesn't mesh well with Oxen/EPS's strategy. They are a fast fashion, pump it out manufacturer. That "works" for club teams over the course of a season. For England RL though, nah.

England should have a premium brand like Canterbury for example, low numbers but high value. They don't play enough to really warrant massive numbers of shirts to go on sale. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I've not watched any of the promo stuff with the sound on - do they mention the 13 chevrons at all there?

Cos if you're going to put that detail on then it would make sense to tell people.

It was also suggested that a navy training shirt sold better as if that is evidence for changing the entire kit to Blue and White... I despair because that too was missed from the press release.

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Where did you get that shirt from? I always thought the original NU shirt was red and white hoops (as worn in the replica used for the 2010 centenary test v New Zealand).

You could probably do something with that colour combination - eg white shirt with a thick red and thin yellow chevrons - that would be distinctively ours and at the same time remove the "it looks like X club shirt" complaint.

It's the pre-1910 shirt. I think it was assumed it was a wholly red band based on black and white photos but then Leeds Met boffins did a bit of work and discovered there was yellow in there too. These jerseys were then produced (which I'm constantly on the look out for to buy) in small number.

I asked Tony Collins about the colours, I speculated it might represent the colours of Northumbria but the more learned man wasn't taken with that explanation and said it's a mystery. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, Billy King's Boots said:

Talking of Umbro, the new shirt does have echoes of this in it...

1992-england-rugby-league-shirt-adults-xl-8580-1-p.jpg

What I love about this shirt is Umbro's lack of concern that their own logo might be illegible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think this is an example of listening to noisy fans too much. That point is used quite a lot when discussing a red v, but sometimes, noisy doesn't mean majority, or correct. 

Possibly the nicest England kit I saw us wear was the red and white hooped anniversary kit we wore a few years back that looked like a Wigan or Leigh kit. 

I had that one. Although wore it once at a Bronquins v Saints games at The Stoop and had some Saints wag (presumably instinctively) say "#### off Wigan" at me.

Anyway. I thought it was a great top and that red and white hoops would be a good look for England.

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

What I love about this shirt is Umbro's lack of concern that their own logo might be illegible. 

I think it was the amount  of LSD they took whilst designing it made them forget  about the detail

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

We had this, thin stripes of red and blue. As I said in a post yesterday you can do a direct link back to the original Northern Union jersey with this whilst also matching contemporary English sporting teams colours. It doesn't look like any clubs shirts and you can do a myriad of variations on it (the below would be the "modern" one in the cycle, the next year do unbroken solid lines and an older style collar and you've got the "traditional" option). 

2019englandNinesMens-front.webp

I’d be pre-ordering that right now if it was the World Cup shirt

(The fact everyone forgot about that shirt will be my retort whenever anyone next suggests Magic Weekend becoming a Nines comp 😁)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d be pre-ordering that right now if it was the World Cup shirt

(The fact everyone forgot about that shirt will be my retort whenever anyone next suggests Magic Weekend becoming a Nines comp 😁)

I must admit to quite liking shirts like that, I quite like the look of the commonwealth games teams, where they often just have splashes of colour. 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I must admit to quite liking shirts like that, I quite like the look of the commonwealth games teams, where they often just have splashes of colour. 

I think it’s a great looking shirt it’s even got this magical blue colour on it that the RFL seem to want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I think it’s a great looking shirt it’s even got this magical blue colour on it that the RFL seem to want.

If they could just tone down the red..... 

Just now, Dave T said:

If they could just tone down the red..... 

I think they should have ditched the red, it adds nothing, and maybe swap the white for blue than have everything else blue aswell, blue stripes on a blue shirt, according to Oxen it would have sold by the million

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think they should have ditched the red, it adds nothing, and maybe swap the white for blue than have everything else blue aswell, blue stripes on a blue shirt, according to Oxen it would have sold by the million

Ditch the nonsense lion and become the England Blue Sox.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

How many stripes though, and how are we counting them?

this could be the new empty seat counting game when IMG fix the no one turning up issue… 

25 minutes ago, RP London said:

How many stripes though, and how are we counting them?

this could be the new empty seat counting game when IMG fix the no one turning up issue… 

7 sorry 13 blue chevrons, 61 blue hoops to represent the amount of games, 25 blue stripes to represent the amount of made up excuses for changing the kit.

• Haha 1

The commercial appeal of navy over white or red doesn't hold up in this sense. It highlights a further lack of knowledge within the RFL and Oxen pushing their own agenda to try and pick up more sales.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

6 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

The commercial appeal of navy over white or red doesn't hold up in this sense. It highlights a further lack of knowledge within the RFL and Oxen pushing their own agenda to try and pick up more sales.

It makes zero sense - yes it might do for leisure wear but not for the actual kit, its just BS to try justify it after the backlash

• Like 3

I like the shirt and just went to buy one.

Can anyone tell me what L, XL, 2XL, 3XL means?

I'm not going to guess and end up having to send it back and guess again.

I suggest, if Oxen or the RFL or the World Cup organisers really want to increase sales, over previous efforts, they should specify the sizes, so potential customers can work out what they are going to get, rather than this absurd ambiguity.

Why haven't they included a ''size guide''?