England v Fiji moved to Salford

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well it's a better ground than Rochdale and there should be more in for this than the 4,000 that attended the Italy warm up before the 2013 World Cup. Hopefully the beeb will stick it on iplayer or something as well. 

Or even on BBC2, as they’ve invested heavily in the WC itself. If they can get 9-10k in there it would look decent (ie like a proper international) for us tv viewers. 

• Like 4

It's quite on-brand that we coupled the new kit announcement with one about our game being shunted to a different stadium for some reason.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

35 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Looks like Rochdale have real problems with the owners of the stadium. Like many clubs in the game who are tenants they are being treated appallingly 

Really don't understand why - its not like Rochdale Town will be getting to the Premiership any time soon, and they don't sell out regularly - you'd think they'd be glad of some rental income

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Really don't understand why - its not like Rochdale Town will be getting to the Premiership any time soon, and they don't sell out regularly - you'd think they'd be glad of some rental income

Yeah but many clubs have unreasonable expectations about how much revenue tenants should bring them and see them as an inconvenience. Looks from the outside Rochdale Town are trying to force them out 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yeah but many clubs have unreasonable expectations about how much revenue tenants should bring them and see them as an inconvenience. Looks from the outside Rochdale Town are trying to force them out 

Which is sad, because iirc both had their grounds up for sale at the same time, and the plan was to sell one and share the other, whichever got sold first. Shame nobody came in for Spotland. 

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On Rochdale Hornets it´s clear that like with so many others being a prisoner of a football club with seperate owners is a no go. Think it´s only working at York as City were in Conference North, if they got to FL you can be sure they´d try to start mucking around with Knights.

Also Dale are the worst for Hornets in that the stadium can´t be sweated because they are in the FL where that isn´t allowed. Just makes me annoyed all that money from the last tv was spent on anything and everything but infrastructure funds. 

Meanwhile, talk of Oldham going to Boundary Park which is better than being homeless but again, you feel is largely based on Oldham now dropping into non league without the FL payments. 

It's the same for clubs based at RU facilities. Coventry Bears had a bit of nightmare over the last 2/3 years at the Butts Park Arena. Newcastle Thunder are only ones I can think of that are treated reasonably well. No doubt someone will be along in a moment to say its not as rosy as it appears! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Rochdale Town ?🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Rochdale A.F.C. ( not Town) are playing away that weekend,  so it's not a fixture clash caused by Qatar WC. Possibly a non sport event taking place or a pitch renovation event.  Tbf availability of footy stadiums for RLWC was based on 2021 calendar not in the run up to a season disruptive football WC.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Am I completely imagining it but didn't the RFL take a share in Spotland at some point to protect the club's interests? Why was that relinquished?

Yes they did but it wasn’t to protect the club it was collateral against a loan. When the club defaulted on the loan the shares in the SMC became the property of the RFL. They then sold them to the football club to recoup their losses on the loan. At least that’s how I remember it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

In my opinion the football club want Hornets out. Why I don’t know. The real reasons are best known to themselves. They have a newish board and they’re obviously making waves. The existing lease is for at least a dozen more years so they can’t get us out easily. So they’re using underhand tactics so try and get what they want. This cancellation of a game that should always have been held in Rochdale is just the latest of a long list of low blows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In my opinion the football club want Hornets out. Why I don’t know. The real reasons are best known to themselves. They have a newish board and they’re obviously making waves. The existing lease is for at least a dozen more years so they can’t get us out easily. So they’re using underhand tactics so try and get what they want. This cancellation of a game that should always have been held in Rochdale is just the latest of a long list of low blows.

Trudging along for decade after decade with consistently some of the lowest attendances in the entire football league, they must have ideas above their station. 

• Like 1

The whole point of having it at Rochdale was the large Fijian community in Rochdale

There was a crowd of 8,872 at the 2013 World Cup for Fiji vs Ireland. I assume there were very few Irish people there...

Playing England at Rochdale would have quite likely been a sellout. I don't know how many of those Rochdale Fijians will travel to Salford? 

Not as many as would have gone in Rochdale, I guess

The football club have thrown away signficant income and goodwill with this

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1