Teare

Onreport

On 29/07/2022 at 13:25, homeandawayer said:

As someone else said mergers have never been mergers they've been effectively takeovers. You'd need to start a new club away from the two towns for it to have a chance i reckon. Can someone do a poll about how many of us are in favour of it? i'd be interested to see if a majority do support one.

But what would we be voting on?

- Current State -

Two clubs who don't own their own grounds and can't afford to redevelop their facilities.

Joining the Teams together. Probably competitive in the Championship until the lack of investment in facilities etc takes its toll and we're back to where we started but only one team this time.

I'd vote against a merger.

Unless the new Town / Reds Stadium plans reveal something unacceptable to the RL side, I think this is the best opportunity to move forward with facilities and hopefully new investment. It also means we get economies of scale with the Stadium being used all year round.

Let's explore being a genuine community club that will remain semi-pro but be sustainable.

- Hypothetical Future -

A new consortium or businessman wants to invest in RL and sees an opportunity in West Cumbria.

If both Town and Haven sell to the consortium they will invest in a new Stadium in West Cumbria / Market to a wider audience (perhaps a couple of on the road games to Brunton Park and Penrith RU) / work with the amateur teams for player pathways / invest in the team to go full time and most importantly have a serious business plan over 5 years that doesn't expect 1500 people to magically turn up in the first year because if you build it they will come (that is they expect to sustain losses for a number of years as they build) - then I'd definitely vote for a merger.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, donald said:

If a merger did happen combining both squads at the moment in my opinion would guarantee a top 6 finish . Haven aren't world beaters in any shape or form but add Fitzsimmons doran Barnes obrien and say scholey it would give us a very strong squad.

You're probably right and I'd go to watch them but without sorting out the financial side and facilities, we'd be likely to ride a wave for a few years before the issues facing the two clubs now, will start affecting the merged club.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 13:17, Nero said:

Would a merger of two struggling sides not be a case of putting all your eggs in one basket? What if the merged side struggled? I'm sure the demise of Cumbrian pro RL would be welcomed in some quarters of the RL community!

Who would welcome our demise?

I don't get the paranoia here. The RFL don't have the money to distribute to clubs but when investors have come forward at whatever level - Cornwall / Coventry / Toulouse and back in the day Toronto they've been welcomed in. (Manchester excepted as the traditional clubs thought it was too near their territory).

If either West Cumbrian club got a big benefactor and got everything up to scratch for Super League they'd be welcomed with open arms.

4 hours ago, pgilmour said:

Everyone should move on they have gone players are mercenaries money first love of the game and club second there are exceptions the ones who stay. And Town have a lot. 

Aye where's the Corinthian Spirit - They'll be wanting broken time payments next.